13%
Your TU-2 from 1999 is good enough!
56%

Total votes: 16

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Re: polytune 2: yes? no?

Post by a.hun » Fri Jul 18, 2014 3:28 pm

I changed the strings for a guitarist friend just last night. (And set his guitar up properly while at it!) :lol:

Andy.
aNDyH. :wink:

Ever tried to outstare a mirror?

In the bathtub of history the truth is harder to hold than the soap, and much more difficult to find!

Ade
Orange Hero

Post by Ade » Fri Jul 18, 2014 8:40 pm

I used to have to tune my bass player's bass before every gig and rehearsal. :roll: That was before I subtlety lent her the TU-2. :D

Ade
Orange AD15/12 - Orange AD50 - 1975 PPC412

joeminer
Tiny Terror

Post by joeminer » Sat Jul 19, 2014 1:30 am

The TU-2 was the first pedal I ever owned. After 10 years, it still works great.
Orange AD30htc
Orange Tiny Terror
Orange PPC212
Orange PPC112
Gibson LP Standard (Double Cut)
Fender American Deluxe Telecaster
Taylor T5 Custom Koa
Taylor 314ce
Little Martin
Lots of Pedals

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Post by Jondog » Sat Jul 19, 2014 1:36 am

So, "NO" wins the poll

everdrone
Orange Expert

Post by everdrone » Sat Jul 19, 2014 3:24 am

well Im hating my polytune on a daily basis, I can gaurantee you that! I need to get around to replacing it. that turbo tuner got good reviews, I wanna look more into that one.
My solo downtuned HEAVY rock project: https://soundcloud.com/earthalliance

Guitarist and Bassist in Fort Worth, TEXAS

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Post by Jondog » Sat Jul 19, 2014 1:42 pm

Had the TU3 over a week now, pretty settled and comfortable with it. When the string is in tune a red light on each side of the meter light and slam into the green "in tune" led in the middle of the meter, further informing me things are in tune. :lol:

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Sat Jul 26, 2014 3:56 pm

everdrone wrote:well Im hating my polytune on a daily basis, I can gaurantee you that! I need to get around to replacing it. that turbo tuner got good reviews, I wanna look more into that one.
Man, I hear you on this. I used mine on an acoustic gig the other night and it refused to recognize my low E string on a regular basis. Had to tune it by ear. At least the battery hasn't gone dead- but this thing is a total waste of money. I will be replacing it very soon....

Boy_Narf
Orange Master

Post by Boy_Narf » Sat Jul 26, 2014 6:51 pm

Turbo Tuner :D

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Post by a.hun » Sun Jul 27, 2014 1:52 pm

No.

Andy.

In the bathtub of history the truth is harder to hold than the soap, and much more difficult to find!

everdrone
Orange Expert

Post by everdrone » Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:44 pm

ya in one session I play guitars and basses tuned to C# standard, E standard, and D# standard. the polytune is not so good, the polytune function does not work and keeps popping up.

Im interested in the turbo tuner, but my interest in the latest technology is what got me in the polytune probs in the first place, so I am a bit leery of it for my uses. the design of the boss is tried and true.
My solo downtuned HEAVY rock project: https://soundcloud.com/earthalliance

Guitarist and Bassist in Fort Worth, TEXAS

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:56 pm

Hello Music has a deal on the TU-3 right now for $20 cheaper than anyone else and free shipping FYI.

Boy_Narf
Orange Master

Post by Boy_Narf » Tue Jul 29, 2014 3:19 am

Hmm,

Boss pedals have pretty crap buffers IME. Unless they have made changes recently with the new models. I got a turbo tuner a few years back after upgrading from a PetersonStroboStomp. I haven't looked back since. Planning on picking up the desk version when my workshop is finished.

snickerpuss
Orange Hero

Post by snickerpuss » Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:07 am

The Boss TU-3 is the workhoss tuna for my blue collar a$$. I've heard of just about every other brand breaking at some point, and wanted a pedal that I only had to buy once with leds I could read under bright sun. Fit the bill, so I picked one up. It's never betrayed me, so I've never felt the need to shop around for an alternative.
Teles, Strat, SG
AD140 Lead, OR100, OTR120, Marshall 2558, Hi-Tone HT100
Lee Jackson Oversized 412 V30s, Hiwatt SE4123 Purple Fanes, Orange PPC412
Pedalspedalspedals

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Post by a.hun » Tue Jul 29, 2014 5:11 pm

Boy_Narf wrote:Hmm,

Boss pedals have pretty crap buffers IME. Unless they have made changes recently with the new models.
Aye, some people think that. Plenty of us don't. Probably we approach things differently... :wink:
Used in the right situation something like a Boss buffer can actually give huge benefits tonally.

Examples of how and why:
http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showth ... p?t=254351" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showth ... p?t=213206" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showth ... p?t=240061" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

One of my own. I have a passive Radial ABY swicher. (For sending to either / both with two different amps.) One output side has a switchable transformer, but if you need to reverse phase for the two different amps you do need to have the transformer switched on. You'll then notice a bit of tonal shift on that side. If that is a problem (doesn't have to be, but if...) then using a buffer like the one in my TU-3 sorts that, basically as near to totally as makes no odds at all. Big improvement.

Boss buffers are actually very decent. If you use them in the wrong way or in the wrong situation (eg wrong order) you may well find they make things sound worse. But that is more due to the surroundings (eg other pedals and cables) than to the Boss pedals / buffers themselves. And when they are used in the right situations, especially live, they can be a total winner! :idea:

Andy.

Thinline_slim
Orange Master

Post by Thinline_slim » Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:13 pm

I'm really surprised that the Polytune doesn't work for so many of you. I've had two for quite a while now and other than the low E shows just a shade flat in poly mode I've had no troubles at all. But I also run them off power supplies too.
Jake
OrangePaul wrote:Ok gitar lead to you Jake :D
"One of the 400"

http://www.purevolume.com/JakeMcallasterBand/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;