Boost Pedal

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Moon
Tiny Terror

Re: Boost Pedal

Post by Moon » Fri Jul 18, 2014 6:11 pm

Man1ak wrote:I am using a Mooer Pure Boost. With bass and treble controls on it you can have anything between no colouring and whatever you like. Small footprint as well at a very decent price.
I second the Pure Boost...great little pedal!
If it's TOO loud...you're TOO old!!!

OR15, TH30, PPC212 OB (x2) CR35LDX
- - - - - - - - - - -
Gibson Les Paul Std (2008 & 2013), Fender Telecaster (Highway One & MIM), Epiphone Sheraton
- - - - - - - - - - -
EHX, Boss, MXR and Mooer Effects

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Post by a.hun » Sat Jul 19, 2014 10:47 am

I 'third' the MXR Microamp! More of exactly the same = exactly what I wanted - and got. :D

Andy.
aNDyH. :wink:

Ever tried to outstare a mirror?

In the bathtub of history the truth is harder to hold than the soap, and much more difficult to find!

Beljunmalnwa
Tiny Terror

Post by Beljunmalnwa » Sat Jul 19, 2014 4:27 pm

In a perfect world, I'd have a Micro Micro Amp! A Micro Amp that's the size of an EP Booster.
Yes, the Dual Terror is loud enough!

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Sun Jul 20, 2014 1:47 pm

Beljunmalnwa wrote:In a perfect world, I'd have a Micro Micro Amp! A Micro Amp that's the size of an EP Booster.
I think that's doable if you can make your own clone. My SHO clone is fitted in one of those tiny boxes, 1590A. It was a tight fit, but it works fine.
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

Beljunmalnwa
Tiny Terror

Post by Beljunmalnwa » Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:31 pm

The dip switches in the EP booster are to add "sparkle" and "fatness". Treble and bass boost anyone?
I'm always leery of pedals that give a large bass boost--tends to make things sound farty at higher gain settings. Would this be the case of the EP Booster?

enricoromanielo
Rocker

Post by enricoromanielo » Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:08 am

Used to have a fulltone fat boost. Loved it. Now I am using a sweet honey overdrive in front of the rocker 30 dirty channel. Sounds killer

Marshall Vintage Modern 2266c
Rocker 30
Reeves Custom 10HG
Orange PPC212 OB
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Fender Telecaster JA90
A few pedals

wbm

Post by wbm » Wed Jul 23, 2014 6:30 am

I have several "booster" pedals and they all are a little different and serve different purposes:

EP Booster: makes things louder into a clean amp or gainier into a dirty amp. Left with default dip switches no coloration.

Timmy / Tim: makes things louder into a clean amp or gainier into a dirty amp. Also has some really great tone shaping capabilities if so desired.

Durham Sex Drive: my favorite "make louder / more output" pedal. It is very similar to the EP Booster but is much more versatile. It can either be set to have no coloration, or be set to have some mild tone shaping via the gain knob, tone knob and three way switch. I prefer this very much over the EP Booster. The Sex Drive is on my big board, the EP Booster is on my little grab and go board. Both are last in line pedals before delay and reverb to give volume boosts into cleanish set amps. The Sex Drive also has an excellent buffer that makes this a great pedal at the end of an effects chain on a big board and long cable uses. This is NOT an overdrive pedal by any means!

The Keeley Time Machine Boost: The left side is a Treble Booster, the right side is a clean boost very much like the EP Booster. I use this as a gain booster in front of my KOT into a cleanish amp.

The Fulltone OCD: with the gain all the way down this is a great boost that can either make things louder, or get more gain into a dirty amp. Very transparent if set accordingly, but also has tone shaping options.

My recommendation:
If you have no other pedal to shape tone, I'd recommend something more versatile in case you switch guitars or change your mind about tone etc. Timmy, OCD, SexDrive etc.
If you are sure that all you need is "more", the EP Booster is great!
If you want more with a little extra, the Keeley Time Machine Boost is an excellent clean boost (right side) with a treble booster (left side) thrown in.
PS: you can see my big board in my Orange OR50 (with pics) thread from 7/22/2014

Beljunmalnwa
Tiny Terror

Post by Beljunmalnwa » Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:15 am

If you are sure that all you need is "more", the EP Booster is great!
If you want more with a little extra, the Keeley Time Machine Boost is an excellent clean boost (right side) with a treble booster (left side) thrown in.
I've been leaning towards the EP Booster for this very reason--that and it's small size. I like the idea of being able to keep it in the DT's carrying case and being able to place it on the cab right next to the head and leaving it on all the time.

Ade
Orange Hero

Post by Ade » Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:06 am

In no particular order:

ZVex SHO
MXR Micro Amp
Tym Tone Boost

Ade
Orange AD15/12 - Orange AD50 - 1975 PPC412

Orangesoda
Orange Hero

Post by Orangesoda » Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:58 pm

Ade wrote:In no particular order:

ZVex SHO
MXR Micro Amp
Tym Tone Boost

Ade
Thumbs up on the SHO. Especially to boost a thick fuzz. Such an awesome tone!

Beljunmalnwa
Tiny Terror

Post by Beljunmalnwa » Tue Jul 29, 2014 1:06 pm

In the end it came down to the Xotic EP Booster and the MXR Micro amp. I tried them side by side and as much as I wanted to like the EP Booster, I went with the Micro Amp.

I won't argue the EP Booster adds something to your tone in a good way. However, in the end I wanted my original sound, just more of it and the Micro Amp was just a little better at delivering that.

I was also able to get a better discount on it as well, so that sealed the deal.

Thanks to everyone who gave their suggestions. It was greatly appreciated!

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Post by a.hun » Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:06 pm

Good good! 8)

Andy.
aNDyH. :wink:

Ever tried to outstare a mirror?

In the bathtub of history the truth is harder to hold than the soap, and much more difficult to find!

xprod77

Post by xprod77 » Fri Aug 08, 2014 2:16 am

MK 4.23 Clean Boost Pedal by Creation Audio Labs

My RV50 dirty channel never sounded so good once I put this puppy in my EFX loop. Surprised no one is mentioning it.

Xavier

fedepepo
Tiny Terror

Post by fedepepo » Fri Aug 08, 2014 7:56 am

Hi guys,
I'm searching for a booster too. What do you think about Mooer Pure boost?

http://www.mooeraudio.com/en/ProductInfo.asp?id=45" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Is so transparent as Mooer website says?

Value for money?
Amps:
Orange Dual Terror w 2x12 Celestion V30 loaded cab
Marshall JCM800 2210 Head w Marshall 4x10 80's vintage cab
Guitars:
Fender Strat American Special
Fender Telecaster American Special
Fender Strato Mex '94 HSS JB

fedepepo
Tiny Terror

Post by fedepepo » Fri Aug 08, 2014 8:31 am

Or that??

http://www.tcelectronic.com/spark-booster/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Is this better or Mooer for my amp transaparency?? I would use a booster to punch a little bit the fat channel of my Dual Terror setted on 2 or 3 o' clock gain... what do u think about that? I've never used a booster before...
Amps:
Orange Dual Terror w 2x12 Celestion V30 loaded cab
Marshall JCM800 2210 Head w Marshall 4x10 80's vintage cab
Guitars:
Fender Strat American Special
Fender Telecaster American Special
Fender Strato Mex '94 HSS JB