Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

SirJackdeFuzz
Orange Hero

YOUR fav fuzz pedal with your Orange ?

Post by SirJackdeFuzz » Thu Jun 19, 2014 1:15 pm

Just curious.

For those fuzz junkies in here . . .

. . . what is your fav fuzz box, that you use with your Orange ?

GO !
SG, Tele & LP Jr -->Radial Twin City ABY box, split into Orange Thunderverb 50 & block letter Peavey 5150

davebolden44
Rocker

Re: YOUR fav fuzz pedal with your Orange ?

Post by davebolden44 » Thu Jun 19, 2014 4:28 pm

I just bought my first fuzz pedal off ebay the other day. reason being, I came across a 1968 fender super reverb pretty cheap so I bought it. only problem is its just too damn clean so I got a used big muff reissue. I honestly like the sound of the big muff through the fender better than the sound of the oranges. I would safely say that it is my favorite combination of tones to date. I haven't put it through the orange yet but I would assume that it would sound pretty good through it. its a great pedal
fresh outta oranges

everdrone
Orange Expert

Post by everdrone » Thu Jun 19, 2014 6:04 pm

Im really digging my Black Arts Toneworks Pharaoh Fuzz Pedal with my Orange Thunderverb 50 :wink:

It sounds great in so many different settings, very versatile "high gain" pedal
My solo downtuned HEAVY rock project: https://soundcloud.com/earthalliance

Guitarist and Bassist in Fort Worth, TEXAS

Eddie Famine
Orange Hero

Post by Eddie Famine » Thu Jun 19, 2014 6:07 pm

It's not a fuzz but the EP Boost is my favorite with my OR 50. I've been using a Golden Cello, which is a fuzz, I think, and if I keep the gain on it down, it really is a very cool effect.

snickerpuss
Orange Hero

Post by snickerpuss » Thu Jun 19, 2014 7:30 pm

I use a Fuzz Factory for its versatility, but the best one I've run through my Orange is called a "Caprid." It's way too expensive for me to pick up, but it's one incredible pedal.
Teles, Strat, SG
AD140 Lead, OR100, OTR120, Marshall 2558, Hi-Tone HT100
Lee Jackson Oversized 412 V30s, Hiwatt SE4123 Purple Fanes, Orange PPC412
Pedalspedalspedals

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Thu Jun 19, 2014 8:03 pm

So far the swollen pickle. Essentially a big muff pie variant, with a very scooped tone control. That's my only problem with it actually, so I'm looking to make BMP clone with a different tone stack.

The BAT Pharaoh is a BMP variant too actually, but its tonestack has a lot of lows, low mids and a general mid hump.

I plan to use a similar tone stack on my BMP clone.

Got a red llama clone, nice fuzz too, though in a restrained and delicate way, not splatters, and not as much sustain as the swollen pickle.
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

Wired
Orange Master

Post by Wired » Thu Jun 19, 2014 9:12 pm

I'm not a huge fuzz fan... but my Fuzz Factory into my RV50 sounds pretty killer!
-LK
RV50, Vox AC30, Gibson LP Trad '14, Gibson ES-335 '04, PRS Cu24 '10, Fender Tele Pro, Gretsch Powerjet

Randy Bass
Lord of Orange

Post by Randy Bass » Thu Jun 19, 2014 9:46 pm

Les Paul Lover wrote:...general mid hump...
I think you've got a name for your BMP clone there...unless you want to call it the "Throbbing Cucumber". :)

jesperbc
Orange Hero

Post by jesperbc » Thu Jun 19, 2014 9:47 pm

I have a Little Big Muff Pi, but I took it off my board 'cause I didn't like the way it sounded. I'm considering getting my hands on the Big Muff Deluxe that EHX just released.

I'm also looking at Big Muff Pi kits from Pedalparts.co.uk, though I'm finding it pretty hard to choose between the 70's (3rd) version. the Green Russian, the Black Russian, the Civil War Russian, the Ram's Head, the Triangle and the Violet Ram's Head...

Right now though, fuzz doesn't seem to fit the sound that I'm going for, so it's just a tiny part of my obsession with dirt boxes.

I have a couple of kits coming in, that a friend built for me. Will post pictures. They're something else, allright!
Gear: Orange Rocker 30 head, Orange TH100 head, Orange PPC212OB cab, pedals galore, Fender MIJ 52 RI Tele w. BKP Blackguard Flat '52s, Fender MIA Standard Strat w. Fender CS Fat '50s, ESP LTD MH-1000 w. BKP (AlNiCo) Nailbomb/VHII.

jojo68
Orange Master

Post by jojo68 » Fri Jun 20, 2014 12:15 am

I've tried quite a few and my fave I use with my OR 15 and 120 ( as well as my other amps ) is the BAT Pharoah

husker tim

Post by husker tim » Fri Jun 20, 2014 5:10 am

I see that a few people above say they are not thrilled with the Big Muff Pi (or they felt they had to mod it), but I really like the Big Muff Pi with my Dual Terror. Maybe I'm just not sophisticated enough :wink:
....uhhhhh, white is not orange[URL=http://s1281.photobucket.com/user/ ... .jpg[/img]/url]

snickerpuss
Orange Hero

Post by snickerpuss » Fri Jun 20, 2014 8:14 am

husker tim wrote:I see that a few people above say they are not thrilled with the Big Muff Pi (or they felt they had to mod it), but I really like the Big Muff Pi with my Dual Terror. Maybe I'm just not sophisticated enough :wink:
Big muffs are awesome. Really the most important fuzz circuit around. The Caprid is a ram's head clone. Swollen pickle, BAT Pharoah, Velvet Fuzz, all great derivatives. How can you plug into one and not just bust out Smashing Pumpkins or Black Keys?
jesperbc wrote:I have a Little Big Muff Pi, but I took it off my board 'cause I didn't like the way it sounded. I'm considering getting my hands on the Big Muff Deluxe that EHX just released.

I'm also looking at Big Muff Pi kits from Pedalparts.co.uk, though I'm finding it pretty hard to choose between the 70's (3rd) version. the Green Russian, the Black Russian, the Civil War Russian, the Ram's Head, the Triangle and the Violet Ram's Head...

Right now though, fuzz doesn't seem to fit the sound that I'm going for, so it's just a tiny part of my obsession with dirt boxes.

I have a couple of kits coming in, that a friend built for me. Will post pictures. They're something else, allright!
Have you tried the Big Muff with Tone Wicker? Aside from that stupid ass name, the thing is phenomenal. The tone bypass opens up the pedal into that Gilmour style fullness, and the wicker tightens up the bass so it doesn't get flubby when you crank the sustain.
Teles, Strat, SG
AD140 Lead, OR100, OTR120, Marshall 2558, Hi-Tone HT100
Lee Jackson Oversized 412 V30s, Hiwatt SE4123 Purple Fanes, Orange PPC412
Pedalspedalspedals

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Fri Jun 20, 2014 8:31 am

Nah, the BMP is a great circuit, that's why it's been used and modded so many times. The BMP has a scooped mid tone control, my swollen pickle takes that scooping a few notches further,and lots of boutique versions have been done with flat EQ or a mid hump.

At the end of the day, most fuzzes are variations of either the BMP or the fuzz face. There are a few other designs (like the red llama, which is a clone of something else), but a lot of them are variations on the same theme.

Think JTM45 or Bassman.

I've got a clone kit for a fuzz factory too, but I haven't built it yet, got lots of art work to do before hand. :)
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

jax510
Rocker

Post by jax510 » Fri Jun 20, 2014 2:17 pm

I love the ehx microsynth with my overdriven ad30. Fuzz and octave effect plus you can change the way the octave sounds by messing with all the other controls for the synth noise
Les Paul Lover wrote:So far the swollen pickle. Essentially a big muff pie variant, with a very scooped tone control. That's my only problem with it actually, so I'm looking to make BMP clone with a different tone stack.
have you experimented with the internal settings?

Thinline_slim
Orange Master

Post by Thinline_slim » Fri Jun 20, 2014 2:24 pm

I built two fuzz clones here in the last year and I've been very happy with how they sound. An Octavia and a Tone Bender Mk II. I'm not a huge fan of the BMP but the clones definitely cover the ground I need and I've found them to be much more flexible.
Jake
OrangePaul wrote:Ok gitar lead to you Jake :D
"One of the 400"

http://www.purevolume.com/JakeMcallasterBand/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;