Speaker examples

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

bates
Tiny Terror

Re: Speaker examples

Post by bates » Thu May 08, 2014 10:04 am

Thanks Andy

I just put the V30 back in the Montage cab and recorded the same riff with the Montage and the Orange cab. Both sounded identical

bates
Tiny Terror

Post by bates » Fri May 09, 2014 10:55 am

I decided to chuck the Eminence Governor in a VC-50 and see how it sounded. It got on a lot better in the mix. I used EQ and put a hump in the mids at 500k which seems to have opened up the sound a bit.

Funny thing is, its like i'm putting back the V30 hump that Eminence took out

http://youtu.be/Ou-a-5lfCFA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Fri May 09, 2014 12:04 pm

Certainly polished playing, even though not my cup of tea music wise.

In isolation, that speaker certainly sounds great.

Whilst I prefered the V30 in your other demo, I'm also wondering which speaker would sound best in band context!!! That could make a big difference too.
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

bates
Tiny Terror

Post by bates » Fri May 09, 2014 12:34 pm

I would rather carry on gigging with the V30 than use the governor. The V30 has better midrange for medium gain.

I'm gonna knock the high gain stuff on the head next week and do more rock, blues kinda stuff. The music is a bit naff but i just use whatever my brain farts out lol

Ddjembe Mutombo
Orange Master

Post by Ddjembe Mutombo » Tue May 13, 2014 9:31 pm

The Celestion is definitely the most usable raw take. However, the WHS would definitely be the most brutal sounding if EQ'd and compressed correctly in the mixdown. The other two just sounded like garbage for that particular playing style.
Monty

myboss57
Orange Master

Post by myboss57 » Tue May 13, 2014 10:29 pm

Man, that V30 all the way! But I liked the Governor a lot too. This really makes me want to swap two of the V30s in my Mesa cab for two Governors. Think together that would be a nice set!
Gibson SG Standard
http://www.nightmovesmd.bandcamp.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Sovtek Mig 100h
TC Alter Ego
Mesa Oversized 412
Prev amps: 90s OD120, Tiny Terror, Rockerverb 100mk1

bates
Tiny Terror

Post by bates » Wed May 14, 2014 8:32 pm

The governor really is very good. I have been playing it as much as possible before it goes back. This is my last video with it before i go back to the WGS to do a Retro 30 vs Veteran 30 video.

Here is the Governor again

http://youtu.be/pJvxMJ9QJ2U" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

OrangePaul
Orange Master

Post by OrangePaul » Thu May 15, 2014 6:25 pm

I've always thought the WGS speakers sounded a little 'lightweight' in other comparisons to celestions I've heard online but on here the WGS seems to have great note definition...

Are they lower sensitivity than the V30... does it allow you to crank the dial a bit more?

Makes me wonder if a Celestion/WGS would pair up well...
Paul.

bates
Tiny Terror

Post by bates » Thu May 15, 2014 8:25 pm

I have had the Veteran 30 back in the cab today and played with it more. Using an Orange TH30, the WGS sounds better than the Vintage 30 at low volume (7watt, volume - quarter way up). At normal volume (30watt, volume - half way) they both come to life and sound great but i can't pick a favourite because they are equal quality and have their own flavour.

They both handle the same power so would go great together in a cab.

I'm gonna buy the one in the video and buy another Orange 1x12 to put it in :)

DiabloS
Orange Master

Speaker examples

Post by DiabloS » Sun May 18, 2014 10:33 pm

It's been my experience that different speakers sound better in different situations, even though I've had a love/hate relationship with V30's... I'm back to using them now mixed with eminence speakers.

I've never argued though that V30's weren't great speakers for recording.... they seem to mic up better and record better than most other speakers, I'd say this is another example of that. But Eminence and WGS speakers can sound a bit better live if you're standing right in front of a cabinet. They especially sound better for either low volume playing or when playing heavier styles in a live setting from what I've found. I'm sure that's not all their better suited for... just what I've found so far.
Last edited by DiabloS on Sun May 18, 2014 11:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DOWNLOAD THE DIABLO STRANGE EP FOR FREE HERE -> http://diablostrange.bandcamp.com

Currently own:
Dual Terror
Micro Terror
PPC212OB

Used to own:
Thunderverb 50
Rocker 30
Tiny Terror

Randy Bass
Lord of Orange

Post by Randy Bass » Sun May 18, 2014 11:13 pm

DiabloS wrote:It's been my experience that different speakers sound better in different situations, even though I've had a love/hate relationship with V30's... I'm back to using them now mixed with eminence speakers.

I've never argued though that V30's weren't great speakers for recording.... they seem to mic up better and record better than most other speakers, I'd say this another example of that. But Eminence and WGS speakers can sound a bit better live if you're standing right in front of a cabinet. They especially sound better for either low volume playing or when playing heavier styles in a live setting from what I've found. I'm sure that's not all their better suited for... just what I've found so far.
Do I remember correctly that you were planning eventually to get another PPC212-OB and close the back & put neo speakers in it? If so, take a look at http://www.parts-express.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; in the clearance section. They have 8-ohm Celestion Century Vintage speakers for cheap.

DiabloS
Orange Master

Post by DiabloS » Sun May 18, 2014 11:20 pm

Randy Bass wrote:
DiabloS wrote:It's been my experience that different speakers sound better in different situations, even though I've had a love/hate relationship with V30's... I'm back to using them now mixed with eminence speakers.

I've never argued though that V30's weren't great speakers for recording.... they seem to mic up better and record better than most other speakers, I'd say this another example of that. But Eminence and WGS speakers can sound a bit better live if you're standing right in front of a cabinet. They especially sound better for either low volume playing or when playing heavier styles in a live setting from what I've found. I'm sure that's not all their better suited for... just what I've found so far.
Do I remember correctly that you were planning eventually to get another PPC212-OB and close the back & put neo speakers in it? If so, take a look at http://www.parts-express.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; in the clearance section. They have 8-ohm Celestion Century Vintage speakers for cheap.
I'm guessing you're thinking of Everdrone on here who's mentioned he wanted to get neo speakers for a lightweight Orange cab. I still own a Eminence Lil Texas Neo speaker which I think is great! but it's not in any of my Orange cabs at the moment. I'm using 2 V30's and a Eminence Private Jack (also a great speaker) for live gigs with my Orange cabs at the moment.
DOWNLOAD THE DIABLO STRANGE EP FOR FREE HERE -> http://diablostrange.bandcamp.com

Currently own:
Dual Terror
Micro Terror
PPC212OB

Used to own:
Thunderverb 50
Rocker 30
Tiny Terror

bates
Tiny Terror

Post by bates » Wed May 21, 2014 3:45 pm

Hi everyone :)

I have just finished a video of the WGS Veteran 30 vs Retro 30.

http://youtu.be/_-noVcbZ1uY" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;