Speaker examples

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

bates
Tiny Terror

Speaker examples

Post by bates » Tue May 06, 2014 1:53 pm

Hello everyone :) i just done this video showing the difference in tone between the Eminence Governor, Celestion Vintage 30, WGS Veteran 30 and the Tayden Brit 60.

I know high gain is not to everyones taste on here but its quite interesting hearing the difference :)

http://youtu.be/bASe70HCc4k" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Boy_Narf
Orange Master

Re: Speaker examples

Post by Boy_Narf » Tue May 06, 2014 3:06 pm

Typically I prefer the WGS tone to the V30, but I think the V30 takes first prize in this shootout. Are all the speakers broken in?

bates
Tiny Terror

Post by bates » Tue May 06, 2014 4:47 pm

Sort of. I isolate the cab and blast it for about 30min at full blast.

Its hard to break them in because i have a deal with the speaker supplier where he lets me take any speakers i want to try as long as i put his website on my videos.

So yeah cool that i get to play tons of speakers but a shame that they never really get broke in very well.

And yes..........the WGS did sound best in the room :wink:

jasondunringill
Tiny Terror

Post by jasondunringill » Tue May 06, 2014 6:59 pm

Quite a dramatic difference there! I'm sure for the right amp the tayden is a fine speaker but to my ears sounded pretty poor compared to the celestion and the wgs. I'm very happy with the V30's in my cabs and nothing I heard would make me want to change them. Interesting comparison.
Gibson Les Paul standard
Fender strat
CV tele
Epiphone Sheraton
Charvel pro Mod type 2
Faith and eko acoustics
Orange dual terror
Fender Blues Jr
Ppc112 cab
Proc212ob cab
Peavey deuce
Not enough pedals!

bates
Tiny Terror

Post by bates » Tue May 06, 2014 7:09 pm

Yeah the Tayden done really bad. I did a video about two weeks ago of the Alnico Tayden ace 50 which sounded great but this video was my first experience with their ceramic speakers. Not impressed so far but i'm gonna try some of their other models

Boy_Narf
Orange Master

Post by Boy_Narf » Tue May 06, 2014 9:29 pm

In person.

I much prefer the WGS to V30 with my TT. The WGS seems more "flat". You don't get the ice pick. At higher volumes I'm not really sure though. The WGS sounded sick. Perhaps the shady cabinet I built can't support the speaker at higher volumes. The next one will be an open back, so it should rely less on the cab.

Invin
Orange Hero

Post by Invin » Tue May 06, 2014 10:27 pm

Nice! I preferred the Governor in all but the last riff, but maybe that's just because it's what I'm used to hearing since I have one in my cab :lol: Either way I'm happy haha.
TH 30
Eminence Wizard & Governor 2x12
ESP Eclipse II JB/'59, Charvel San Dimas Style 2 JB/'59
Tomkat Bender, TU-2, Crybaby Mini, Palisades, Xotic RC, Euphoria, MVP, Sentry, Blue Sky, Grand Orbiter V2, Timeline, Alter Ego, Dispatch Master, Ditto X2

bates
Tiny Terror

Post by bates » Wed May 07, 2014 6:47 am

The governor is still in the cab so i'm gonna play with it a bit more today.

It defo makes a difference what cab is being used though. Especially with the high gain stuff. Cheap cabs vibrate too much because of the light wood and the distortion can't keep itself together.

I am using the Montage cabs which are pretty good but a Mesa or Orange cab would have altered the sound and possibly given different results

msmith4432
Orange Master

Post by msmith4432 » Wed May 07, 2014 10:00 am

jasondunringill wrote:Quite a dramatic difference there! I'm sure for the right amp the tayden is a fine speaker but to my ears sounded pretty poor compared to the celestion and the wgs. I'm very happy with the V30's in my cabs and nothing I heard would make me want to change them. Interesting comparison.

I thought the tayden and the eminence sounded like crap.
Mesa boogie Stiletto ace
OR 50 40th anniversary
Orange CS50
Orange 2x12 ppc
Mesa Boogie wide body 1x12
Gibson Les Paul custom black beauty(maple Fretboard)
Gibson Les Paul custom 58 vos
Gibson les Paul custom 57 vos

bates
Tiny Terror

Post by bates » Wed May 07, 2014 11:35 am

I feel bad for the Tayden lol. I'm gonna put it back in the cab tomorrow and try to find some things that it can do well

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Wed May 07, 2014 11:38 am

msmith4432 wrote:
jasondunringill wrote:Quite a dramatic difference there! I'm sure for the right amp the tayden is a fine speaker but to my ears sounded pretty poor compared to the celestion and the wgs. I'm very happy with the V30's in my cabs and nothing I heard would make me want to change them. Interesting comparison.

I thought the tayden and the eminence sounded like crap.

Me too - they really didn't record well.

I thought the V30 was the clear winner here - in this recording, it sounds that fatest, fullest, most articulate of them all. Thank you very much for this comparison, very intersting Bates! :D
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

bates
Tiny Terror

Post by bates » Wed May 07, 2014 12:20 pm

No probs mate.

As long as the speaker supplier keeps letting me test the speakers i will keep making the videos :)

hitgar
Orange Hero

Post by hitgar » Wed May 07, 2014 5:03 pm

I usually do not like the sound of a V30 but in this demo its a clear winner. I would normally prefer the Eminince but here it sounded a little strange. Thanks for the demo.

bates
Tiny Terror

Post by bates » Wed May 07, 2014 6:35 pm

Thanks for watching.

I would like to do the test again with my 1x12 Orange cab but i need that cab to gig and i don't want it getting the wear and tear thats involved with all these speaker changes.

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Post by a.hun » Thu May 08, 2014 7:47 am

bates wrote:Thanks for watching.

I would like to do the test again with my 1x12 Orange cab but i need that cab to gig and i don't want it getting the wear and tear thats involved with all these speaker changes.
Wouldn't bother anyway. I don't think the differences between mic'ing up the different cabs would be that obvious. Unlike bass cabs as long as a guitar cab is well enough put together the exact dimensions aren't that critical. Most of the differences (probably 95%) would be still between the speakers and I'm sure I'd still find the V.30 standing out as the best of the bunch with the Emi and Tayden trailing badly.

Of course with a different guitar and amp setup / settings that could all change. But for those sounds it was the Celestion all the way for me. The WGS wasn't at all bad. The other two actually were.

Andy.
aNDyH. :wink:

Ever tried to outstare a mirror?

In the bathtub of history the truth is harder to hold than the soap, and much more difficult to find!