Did something very stupid. now scared.

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Re: Did something very stupid. now scared.

Post by Jondog » Tue Apr 29, 2014 10:18 pm

Kenji wrote:
yossarian83 wrote:Kenji, consider yourself lucky. For future reference, ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS have a tube amp of ANY KIND plugged into either a speaker of the proper rating (ohms) or a load box/resistive load of the the proper rating BEFORE turning it on. You will break your amp and it will be very expensive to repair, probably comparable to what you paid for it.

I make a point to connect the speaker cabinet before the power cable every time I hook up my rig just in case the power switch was bumped or flipped without my knowledge.
You are right, it was a learning experience and now I know more about individual components in my amp and I'm considering modding it. I'll learn to do it myself and repair it myself so If the day comes that my OT is dead, I will change it myself.
Don't wish for that day

thinspirits77
Tiny Terror

Post by thinspirits77 » Tue Apr 29, 2014 10:58 pm

Why don't you have a cab? The head is useless without a cab.
http://www.reverbnation.com/evolutionprotocol
Orange TH100
Orange PPC212

Yamaha AES820s
MXR Flanger|TC Alter Ego|TC Hall of Fame|Boss Tremolo

Kenji

Post by Kenji » Tue Apr 29, 2014 11:12 pm

thinspirits77 wrote:Why don't you have a cab? The head is useless without a cab.
Because I'm buying the cab this week but I'm looking a different sellers for the best price. Looking for a PPC412 for 600$

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Wed Apr 30, 2014 6:32 am

By the sound of it, don't even think about modding it.
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

Bensnake
Orange Master

Post by Bensnake » Wed Apr 30, 2014 7:17 am

Kenji wrote:
yossarian83 wrote:Kenji, consider yourself lucky. For future reference, ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS have a tube amp of ANY KIND plugged into either a speaker of the proper rating (ohms) or a load box/resistive load of the the proper rating BEFORE turning it on. You will break your amp and it will be very expensive to repair, probably comparable to what you paid for it.

I make a point to connect the speaker cabinet before the power cable every time I hook up my rig just in case the power switch was bumped or flipped without my knowledge.
You are right, it was a learning experience and now I know more about individual components in my amp and I'm considering modding it. I'll learn to do it myself and repair it myself so If the day comes that my OT is dead, I will change it myself.

Better learn all these things now rather than when ill buy a Dual Terror.
For cryin' out loud, don't! You are NOT an amp tech just because you've almost destroyed an amp... A tube amp is serious business and you can actually die of an electrical shock if you're not familiar with how it works.
RV100 MKIII | '75 OR120 | OR100 | OR50 | CS50 | R30H | TT
2 x PPC412
Bax B. | Amp D.

Marshall 1959 HW + 1936V
Fender '65 Super Reverb Reissue
Vox AC30C2X + V212C

Playing Les Pauls and Teles...

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:06 am

Bensnake wrote:
Kenji wrote:

For cryin' out loud, don't! You are NOT an amp tech just because you've almost destroyed an amp... A tube amp is serious business and you can actually die of an electrical shock if you're not familiar with how it works.

Indeed. Even unplugged the capacitor will store shocking amount of juice.
Ant

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:28 am

From the sound of it and based on the fact that you tried to use a tube amp without a cabinet, I am going to emphatically say:

DO NOT ATTEMPT TO DO ANY MODS TO THE AMP!

There are voltages in the amp THAT WILL KILL YOU! Let me repeat THAT WILL KILL YOU.

Unlike your amp which can be fixed, you can't get better from dead.

If you really want to work on your amp, you need to take actual electronics courses and learn about working on electronics. And don't think you can watch a few youtube videos and get it... this is not stuff to fool around with.

My advice is to get a cabinet - SET THE IMPEDANCE CORRECTLY - and go play your guitar. If you're not happy with the sound, find an amp that you like, don't think about modding your amp.

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:45 am

And by the way, once you get a cab, you can't use a guitar cable to plug your DkT in it - you will need a speaker cable. They look the same, but they aren't. Your guitar cable will not cope with the current sent to your cabinet.
Ant

misterfolkertsma
Orange Expert

Post by misterfolkertsma » Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:50 am

Les Paul Lover wrote:you will need a speaker cable.
This!

Ronnie Robinson
Orange Master

Post by Ronnie Robinson » Wed Apr 30, 2014 12:00 pm

Kenji wrote:

From novice to Amp tech in a couple of days. ............you must be joking!
Last edited by Ronnie Robinson on Wed Apr 30, 2014 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Orange AD30 HTC
Orange Rocker 15 terror
Orange Tiny Terror HW,
Fender elite Start, Gibson SG 61,fender telecaster

Previously Owned - Rocker 30

misterfolkertsma
Orange Expert

Post by misterfolkertsma » Wed Apr 30, 2014 12:19 pm

Well, he does say he's going to learn it. Until a "no sound after mod, help!" gets posted by Mr Kenji, I'll just give him the benefit of the doubt. :wink:

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Wed Apr 30, 2014 12:43 pm

misterfolkertsma wrote:Well, he does say he's going to learn it. Until a "no sound after mod, help!" gets posted by Mr Kenji, I'll just give him the benefit of the doubt. :wink:
Love your sig pic by the way!!!!
Ant

Kenji

Post by Kenji » Thu May 01, 2014 2:03 am

misterfolkertsma wrote:Well, he does say he's going to learn it. Until a "no sound after mod, help!" gets posted by Mr Kenji, I'll just give him the benefit of the doubt. :wink:
Well thank you!... I'm actualy starting my mechanical engineering degree on the 5th of may and I'm gonna have quite a few electric and electronic courses. When I say mod the amp, I'm only talking about changer the lamps and the Output transformer not some weird things.

Kenji

Post by Kenji » Thu May 01, 2014 2:03 am

Les Paul Lover wrote:And by the way, once you get a cab, you can't use a guitar cable to plug your DkT in it - you will need a speaker cable. They look the same, but they aren't. Your guitar cable will not cope with the current sent to your cabinet.
Yes, I know.

Randy Bass
Lord of Orange

Post by Randy Bass » Thu May 01, 2014 4:12 am

I think the vast majority of guitar players have done something regrettable with their gear, especially when first starting out, so I would just consider it a learning experience and be happy it didn't turn out badly. Once you get a cab, you'll soon figure out that it's more fun to play through the amp than to mess about the insides anyhow. Keep us posted on your cab search.