Pedal board Help!!

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

myboss57
Orange Master

Pedal board Help!!

Post by myboss57 » Tue Apr 29, 2014 9:04 pm

Sorry for the mass picturing, but I need some help. I just hooked up my board, not entirely sure on the order of pedals as of yet - but y'all gave me some good recommendations to try! Anyways, I'm not getting anything out of the board. I have attached pictures so you can see exactly what I'm looking at. And I used the SKB manual card that came with to hook it up right. Basically, everything is cabled up, I can hear a hiss out of the amp but no sound. When I engage any one of the pedals or all of them, i can hear the guitar very faintly with the effect in the signal. The amp is plugged into the board power supply too - it's my little 20 watt Crush. Plugged into the wall or the board I had the same issue.

I checked the cables one by one straight from guitar to amp - no issues, I get guitar sound. I went through each pedal one by one (with the pedal plugged into the board power source), so output of pedal straight to the amp, and input straight from guitar. Bam, I get guitar sound and effect sound when pedal is engaged. The suggested setup for going straight into an amp, with mono input/outputs from each pedal is here (sorry for the blur, but the SKB manual image is so tiny!

Here's the actual board setup, so you can see I have the inputs matching. Trust me that the cables here are going to where they are supposed to go! it's hard to capture it all:

Here's the whole board, note I had the cable coming from the TC Alter Ego (far left pedal) unplugged at the moment when I snapped this:

Any ideas?? I'm sure there's something really stupid that I'm doing or not doing!!
Gibson SG Standard
http://www.nightmovesmd.bandcamp.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Sovtek Mig 100h
TC Alter Ego
Mesa Oversized 412
Prev amps: 90s OD120, Tiny Terror, Rockerverb 100mk1

OU818
Orange Master

Re: Pedal board Help!!

Post by OU818 » Tue Apr 29, 2014 10:53 pm

2 ideas.

1) At the time you may have been running out of the Stereo output of the Alter Ego (may not have but I can't tell as it isn't pictured).

2) You have a dodgy pancake cable (I hate those cables as I find they often suck tone or crap out).
Orange Gear:
AD200B MkIII
OBC810

Non-Orange:
Bergantino NXT212
Bergantino Forte D
Woogie Lessie
Laney DBV-410

Basses:
Ernie Ball Stingray 4H
Rickenbacker 4003
Gibson Midtown Signature
Gibson Thunderbird
Gibson Nikki Sixx Thunderbird
Gibson Les Paul Bass

myboss57
Orange Master

Post by myboss57 » Tue Apr 29, 2014 11:24 pm

OU818 wrote:2 ideas.

1) At the time you may have been running out of the Stereo output of the Alter Ego (may not have but I can't tell as it isn't pictured).

2) You have a dodgy pancake cable (I hate those cables as I find they often suck tone or crap out).
Was not running out of the stereo out on the Alter Ego, I know it's hard to see but I'm all mono! :D

I think I found the culprit, crappy pancake patch cable I believe, as I removed one and replaced it with a regular cable. Everything worked!
Gibson SG Standard
http://www.nightmovesmd.bandcamp.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Sovtek Mig 100h
TC Alter Ego
Mesa Oversized 412

OU818
Orange Master

Post by OU818 » Tue Apr 29, 2014 11:26 pm

I feel my vilification of pancake leads has once again been vindicated.

Everybody wins :D
Orange Gear:
AD200B MkIII
OBC810

Non-Orange:
Bergantino NXT212
Bergantino Forte D
Woogie Lessie
Laney DBV-410

Basses:
Ernie Ball Stingray 4H
Rickenbacker 4003
Gibson Midtown Signature
Gibson Thunderbird
Gibson Nikki Sixx Thunderbird
Gibson Les Paul Bass

myboss57
Orange Master

Post by myboss57 » Tue Apr 29, 2014 11:43 pm

OU818 wrote:I feel my vilification of pancake leads has once again been vindicated.

Everybody wins :D
Oh my god, yeah, I think I'll be taking these back and getting property leads for this board!!
Gibson SG Standard
Sovtek Mig 100h
TC Alter Ego
Mesa Oversized 412

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Post by Jondog » Wed Apr 30, 2014 12:18 am

I have these and really like them. Basically a LAVA cable at 1/2 the price.
http://www.mammothelectronics.com/Chand ... rfuse5.htm

Invin
Orange Hero

Post by Invin » Wed Apr 30, 2014 1:01 am

Same thing happened to me with a patch cable a while back. It would completely cut all sound when twisted slightly the wrong way, and I had no idea what was going on for awhile until I went through and checked every cable. After that I upgraded to some more reliable ones and thankfully haven't had it happen since.
TH 30
Eminence Wizard & Governor 2x12
ESP Eclipse II JB/'59, Charvel San Dimas Style 2 JB/'59
Tomkat Bender, TU-2, Crybaby Mini, Palisades, Xotic RC, Euphoria, MVP, Sentry, Blue Sky, Grand Orbiter V2, Timeline, Alter Ego, Dispatch Master, Ditto X2

myboss57
Orange Master

Post by myboss57 » Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:08 am

Invin wrote:Same thing happened to me with a patch cable a while back. It would completely cut all sound when twisted slightly the wrong way, and I had no idea what was going on for awhile until I went through and checked every cable. After that I upgraded to some more reliable ones and thankfully haven't had it happen since.
Yeah, I think that's basically what I'm running into here. I think I'm going to take all of these cables back to the shop and see if they have something more substantial. If they won't take them then I'll throw them into the sea where they can never again cause anyone else any pain! (not really!)

And I'll also have to check out those Mammoths, Jondog! Thanks for the link.
Gibson SG Standard
Sovtek Mig 100h
TC Alter Ego
Mesa Oversized 412

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Wed Apr 30, 2014 12:51 pm

Jondog wrote:I have these and really like them. Basically a LAVA cable at 1/2 the price.
http://www.mammothelectronics.com/Chand ... rfuse5.htm

I like the look of that kit.

Could you compare it to the lava kit or another lava cable? I'm serisouly wondering, I know they don't have a monopoly on good quality cables, but the only lava cable I have is great - audible difference. And now that I've started gathering a small (growing... :roll: ) pedal collection, good quality patch cable will soon be a must.....
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

Thinline_slim
Orange Master

Post by Thinline_slim » Wed Apr 30, 2014 3:21 pm

Remove all but one pedal from the equation. Guitar -> SKB gtr in -> SKB pedal send -> Only one Pedal -> SKB ped Ret -> SKB Out -> Amp. If that works you've eliminated the SKB being at fault. Then add pedals one by one.
Jake
OrangePaul wrote:Ok gitar lead to you Jake :D
"One of the 400"

http://www.purevolume.com/JakeMcallasterBand/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

myboss57
Orange Master

Post by myboss57 » Wed Apr 30, 2014 6:07 pm

Thinline_slim wrote:Remove all but one pedal from the equation. Guitar -> SKB gtr in -> SKB pedal send -> Only one Pedal -> SKB ped Ret -> SKB Out -> Amp. If that works you've eliminated the SKB being at fault. Then add pedals one by one.
That would have been a good way to do it! But I managed to find the cable!
Gibson SG Standard
Sovtek Mig 100h
TC Alter Ego
Mesa Oversized 412