Did something very stupid. now scared.

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Kenji

Did something very stupid. now scared.

Post by Kenji » Tue Apr 29, 2014 5:24 am

I have a orange dark terror. I tried to put the send from the FX loop to another amps return because i did not have a cab. I cranked the volume and could hear the guitar through the actual dark terror head (not speaker) What did I just fry out of stupidity? Is it 100% sure that I just fried something in my amp?

Also, if I did fry my amp, how much will it cost to repair it if you know what was fried? Lamps still light on standby.

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Re: Did something very stupid. now scared.

Post by Les Paul Lover » Tue Apr 29, 2014 6:18 am

Alright....... Don't do that again!!!!!

I assume something in the DT was moved enough to produce some sound - that is what sound is after all, an air wave. Speakers are much better at that than transfomer or valves mind you.

How long did you do that for?
If it was only a matter of seconds you may be fine.

If you had damaged the amp, it's very likely the power transformer would have taken the hit, and you would probably have smelt that. The only way to find out is to plug it in a matched cab and put it on!!!
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

GummiTZ
Tiny Terror

Post by GummiTZ » Tue Apr 29, 2014 7:40 am

I hate to be a dongle-narf here, but I still cannot believe how some new owners of expensive equipment can be completely oblivious to this part in the instruction manual, that is written very visible in the beginning of the booklet next to a large "danger" sign:
“Speaker Outputs” must be connected to a speaker cabinet of the designated load rating using an un-shielded two conductor cable for speaker use at all times during operation
Make a habit of reading the manual (if not the entire thing, at least the "important" and "warning" sections) whenever you aquire some new electrical equipment that you cannot afford to throw out the window, and you will end up saving yourself a lot of money and worries during your lifetime.

BTW: This is the reason I don't buy used amps.

Bensnake
Orange Master

Post by Bensnake » Tue Apr 29, 2014 8:16 am

:D :) :( :o :shock: :? 8) :lol: :x :P :oops: :cry: :evil: :twisted: :roll: :wink: :!: :?: :idea: :arrow: :| :mrgreen:
RV100 MKIII | '75 OR120 | OR100 | OR50 | CS50 | R30H | TT
2 x PPC412
Bax B. | Amp D.

Marshall 1959 HW + 1936V
Fender '65 Super Reverb Reissue
Vox AC30C2X + V212C

Playing Les Pauls and Teles...

Kenji

Post by Kenji » Tue Apr 29, 2014 8:27 am

GummiTZ wrote:I hate to be a dongle-narf here, but I still cannot believe how some new owners of expensive equipment can be completely oblivious to this part in the instruction manual, that is written very visible in the beginning of the booklet next to a large "danger" sign:
“Speaker Outputs” must be connected to a speaker cabinet of the designated load rating using an un-shielded two conductor cable for speaker use at all times during operation
Make a habit of reading the manual (if not the entire thing, at least the "important" and "warning" sections) whenever you aquire some new electrical equipment that you cannot afford to throw out the window, and you will end up saving yourself a lot of money and worries during your lifetime.

BTW: This is the reason I don't buy used amps.
You are right, but I did buy it used for 450$ instead of 850$+ taxes. In fact, when I read the manual (I'm french) I misinterpreted the warning as ''dont turn it on to the wrong cabinet, not ''without''. Anyway, I thought that by using the send on the fx loop I would have no problems with the speaker outputs since there was supposed to be no return. I guess that since there was no return the amp, it interpreted it as if there was nothing in the fx loop. I did a stupid mistake because of a misunderstanding but I dont know yet if I fried anything. If its the case, how much do you think it will cost?

Kenji

Post by Kenji » Tue Apr 29, 2014 8:30 am

Les Paul Lover wrote:Alright....... Don't do that again!!!!!

I assume something in the DT was moved enough to produce some sound - that is what sound is after all, an air wave. Speakers are much better at that than transfomer or valves mind you.

How long did you do that for?
If it was only a matter of seconds you may be fine.

If you had damaged the amp, it's very likely the power transformer would have taken the hit, and you would probably have smelt that. The only way to find out is to plug it in a matched cab and put it on!!!
I did not do it for long but I cannot say that it was a matter of seconds. In fact I wondered for 10-20 seconds what was the sound I was earing without having the reflex to immediately turn everything off. Now, I know that if something bad happened, its already too late. So, lets say I go to the shop tomorow and something fried, you say its probably the transformer so how does one go about changing a transformer?

Kenji

Post by Kenji » Tue Apr 29, 2014 8:35 am

Big update, one of my pre-amp valve has a little red dot on top, is this a sign that I fried it? If so, did frying it save other components?

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Tue Apr 29, 2014 10:35 am

Does the amp work? You don't say whether you tried it with a speaker cabinet after doing this...

If it is not working, don't try to fix it yourself. Bring it to an amp repair place.

A red dot on the top of a preamp tube isn't an indicator of anything. It might have been there already. Does it light up when you turn the amp on? You could replace the preamp tube yourself but if that doesn't fix it, take it to an amp repair place.

Oh - and for future notice, only post once, not in multiple places.

misterfolkertsma
Orange Expert

Post by misterfolkertsma » Tue Apr 29, 2014 10:46 am

Have you connected a proper 16ohms cab in the meantime or not?

GummiTZ
Tiny Terror

Post by GummiTZ » Tue Apr 29, 2014 12:33 pm

The amp MAY in fact not have taken any damage from this at all. I have heard it being said that the transformer should not take any damage unless the power amp stage has a signal to work with.

Now, I don't know if this is true, and if it is, it would also depend on whether the signal would reach the power stage with nothing in the return input (don't know how the loop is designed on that amp). BUT, you might be lucky. Connect a cab and test it. :)

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Post by Jondog » Tue Apr 29, 2014 12:44 pm

Using the effects loop send should decouple the power stage, providing its a series loop as Im lead to believe. If thats the case OT should be fine. I run out of the send on my amps all the time. Whats the amp you ran it into?

Kenji

Post by Kenji » Tue Apr 29, 2014 5:47 pm

Okay, so today I went to the store and tested the amp. Luckily, the amp seemed to work fine and I could crank it pretty loud and play and had alot of OOMF. On the other hand I did identify some noise but I'm not sure if its natural. I think one of them was because I was not grounded but I recorded them with low fidelity device. Bar in mind that i had the volume and cranked at least at 3 o' clock

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10152082372567507" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10152082373132507" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If you cant see the video, tell me and ill upload them to youtube.

Kenji

Post by Kenji » Tue Apr 29, 2014 5:51 pm

bclaire wrote:Does the amp work? You don't say whether you tried it with a speaker cabinet after doing this...

If it is not working, don't try to fix it yourself. Bring it to an amp repair place.

A red dot on the top of a preamp tube isn't an indicator of anything. It might have been there already. Does it light up when you turn the amp on? You could replace the preamp tube yourself but if that doesn't fix it, take it to an amp repair place.

Oh - and for future notice, only post once, not in multiple places.
Yes, I tried it and it works. Now I dont know if I dammaged it, what would be the sings if I fried a preamp valve powervalve or OT

yossarian83
Orange Hero

Post by yossarian83 » Tue Apr 29, 2014 6:55 pm

Kenji, consider yourself lucky. For future reference, ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS have a tube amp of ANY KIND plugged into either a speaker of the proper rating (ohms) or a load box/resistive load of the the proper rating BEFORE turning it on. You will break your amp and it will be very expensive to repair, probably comparable to what you paid for it.

I make a point to connect the speaker cabinet before the power cable every time I hook up my rig just in case the power switch was bumped or flipped without my knowledge.

Kenji

Post by Kenji » Tue Apr 29, 2014 10:13 pm

yossarian83 wrote:Kenji, consider yourself lucky. For future reference, ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS have a tube amp of ANY KIND plugged into either a speaker of the proper rating (ohms) or a load box/resistive load of the the proper rating BEFORE turning it on. You will break your amp and it will be very expensive to repair, probably comparable to what you paid for it.

I make a point to connect the speaker cabinet before the power cable every time I hook up my rig just in case the power switch was bumped or flipped without my knowledge.
You are right, it was a learning experience and now I know more about individual components in my amp and I'm considering modding it. I'll learn to do it myself and repair it myself so If the day comes that my OT is dead, I will change it myself.

Better learn all these things now rather than when ill buy a Dual Terror.
Last edited by Kenji on Tue Apr 29, 2014 10:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.