Orange on AmpliTube

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Thinline_slim
Orange Master

Orange on AmpliTube

Post by Thinline_slim » Fri Apr 04, 2014 2:05 pm

http://www.ikmultimedianews.com/form.do ... 6fgdkjhn6l

Saw this in my in box this morning so I thought I would share. I'm pretty excited about it and will be getting it. I travel quite a bit for work so I usually have my Traveler guitar and iPad for the boring hotel rooms.

I can understand why they're releasing it as a bundled package but I kind of wish they had the individual amp models for purchase within the regular AmpliTube. Oh well, at lease we finally have a portable Orange in DSP.
Jake
OrangePaul wrote:Ok gitar lead to you Jake :D
"One of the 400"

http://www.purevolume.com/JakeMcallasterBand/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Re: Orange on AmpliTube

Post by bclaire » Fri Apr 04, 2014 2:35 pm

Very cool... thanks for the heads-up!

enricoromanielo
Rocker

Post by enricoromanielo » Fri Apr 04, 2014 2:52 pm

Actually, Amplitube already had Orange models for a while now... I think the novelty is that now it is available for iOs. I had Amplitube in my Mac, and the Orange stuff sound cool (specially the AD 30 model). And yes, at least in the computer software, you can try out and purchase singular Orange models (heads an cab) through Amplitube Custom.

Not sure if it is possible on the iOS version.

Cheers!

Marshall Vintage Modern 2266c
Rocker 30
Reeves Custom 10HG
Orange PPC212 OB
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Fender Telecaster JA90
A few pedals

Thinline_slim
Orange Master

Post by Thinline_slim » Fri Apr 04, 2014 3:10 pm

enricoromanielo wrote:Actually, Amplitube already had Orange models for a while now... I think the novelty is that now it is available for iOs. I had Amplitube in my Mac, and the Orange stuff sound cool (specially the AD 30 model). And yes, at least in the computer software, you can try out and purchase singular Orange models (heads an cab) through Amplitube Custom.

Cheers!
So let me ask as I've always been curious about the virtual rigs and recording.

I kind of latched on to an old school bass player back in 2001, who had done quite a bit of recording and engineering out in LA so he kind of led me through micing cabs, mic pre's etc. Here we are today with all the software that lets you recreate it all.

Short of not owning everything that comes in the software package like AmpliTube 3, is it on par with what you can get in a decent studio environment? I have a nice back garage that I can crank up the tube amp to decent levels without ticking off the neighbors but if all things are equal is it worth a couple hundred bucks to pick up a software package?
Jake
OrangePaul wrote:Ok gitar lead to you Jake :D
"One of the 400"

http://www.purevolume.com/JakeMcallasterBand/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

enricoromanielo
Rocker

Post by enricoromanielo » Fri Apr 04, 2014 3:21 pm

Thinline_slim wrote:
enricoromanielo wrote:Actually, Amplitube already had Orange models for a while now... I think the novelty is that now it is available for iOs. I had Amplitube in my Mac, and the Orange stuff sound cool (specially the AD 30 model). And yes, at least in the computer software, you can try out and purchase singular Orange models (heads an cab) through Amplitube Custom.

Cheers!

I kind of latched on to an old school bass player back in 2001, who had done quite a bit of recording and engineering out in LA so he kind of led me through micing cabs, mic pre's etc. Here we are today with all the software that lets you recreate it all.

Short of not owning everything that comes in the software package like AmpliTube 3, is it on par with what you can get in a decent studio environment? I have a nice back garage that I can crank up the tube amp to decent levels without ticking off the neighbors but if all things are equal is it worth a couple hundred bucks to pick up a software package?

To me it was worth it, it has some cool amps, cabs, mics, racks and pedals simulations. Way better than Garage Band, for instance. Never used it to record my amp though, not sure about the quality in that.

Marshall Vintage Modern 2266c
Rocker 30
Reeves Custom 10HG
Orange PPC212 OB
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Fender Telecaster JA90
A few pedals

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Post by a.hun » Fri Apr 04, 2014 3:43 pm

Thinline_slim wrote:So let me ask as I've always been curious about the virtual rigs and recording.

Unless your garage is particularly nice sounding it probably is. You should be able to get great recorded sounds with good modelling, and people do seem to like the Amplitube stuff a lot. Recording in a difficult (especially boomy reflective) space like a garage is always likely to be more tricky. Not impossible, but you'd probably have to stick to close mic'ing and think about shielding the mic from room echoes eg with a good mic screen, something like this:
http://www.thomann.de/nl/se_electronics ... filter.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Of course with live recording if you are playing in the recording space yourself you can always get more natural feedback etc. Pro's and cons really, but yeah you should be able to get very good results with the software. Hell, I can still get convincing results with my Mk.1 POD PRO or Bass POD, not that I actually use them much these days, but just the same.

Thing to remember is that what counts is getting sounds which sit right in the mix. If they aren't exactly the same as the real thing that hardly matters, as long as they sit right. If they are very close indeed (as here) you're laughing.

Andy.
aNDyH. :wink:

Ever tried to outstare a mirror?

In the bathtub of history the truth is harder to hold than the soap, and much more difficult to find!

tarfungo
Tiny Terror

Post by tarfungo » Fri Apr 04, 2014 3:46 pm

Thinline_slim wrote:

Cheers!

I don't have an environment that allows me to record real amps at 'sweet spot' volumes at home. As such, I have taken to using Amplitube to often record guitars including their Orange line of modelers. Like all of IK Media's modeling offerings, I think they are pretty good for what they are. Will you be able to get the exact same 'mojo' that maybe a great studio mic up would get you? Umm... some say, yes. Others say, no.

Here's a track I recently recorded with a friend using Amplitube Orange (AD30). Not sure if this sample offers any useful information, but all of the electric tracks were tracked using Amplitube AD30. Of course, tastes vary, so our mix or choice of tone shaping may not be close to anything you might have chosen to use:

http://tinyurl.com/nr4kspt" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I also have a Two-Notes Reload which is a re-amper, load-box, attenuator rolled into one. I don't have a sample handy of this unit, but because Reload comes with Two-Notes WoS (Wall of Sound) plugin, using this tool one is able to recreate studio micing with mic positioning and multi-layering of cabinets, mics and mic placements with in one plugin instantiation. And the best part, I get to use my REAL amps in this chain. Very cool tool.

http://www.two-notes.com/en/hardware/torpedo-reload/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Orange AD30HTC
Orange Rocker 30 Combo
Orange OR50H
Orange PPC212 x 2

JRogero
Orange Hero

Post by JRogero » Sat Apr 05, 2014 3:23 am

I have the amplitube custom shop software and got the AD30 model but could never quite bond with it. Most of my playing now is late at night through my THR10. It's by far my favorite of the amp modelers. Way better than the line 6 stuff or any of the software modelers I've tried. Haven't tried the Kemper Modeling amp or the Axe FX yet though.