Dark Terror Tube Replacement

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Inder_Cine_Mann

Dark Terror Tube Replacement

Post by Inder_Cine_Mann » Sat Jan 25, 2014 3:39 am

Hey guys

I was hoping someone could give some advice.

I play a Dark Terror and have always liked the crunch but felt there has always been something off.

I've been playing it for a little under a year.

I really dislike the buzzy and fizzy character of the drive and gain.

I'm hoping that it's just a simple tube replacement. I've done a little reading but there isn't much on this subject.

Basically read people saying to put JJ's or Tung Sols but I would love a detailed response.

Is this how the amp naturally is? Especially the mids, upper mids, and highs.

And trust me, im not just turning the gain up and leaving the voljme down. Even when I have the volume round 2 or 3 o'clock and gain between 9 and 11 o'clock

Im playin thru an Avatar 2x12 (V30 and G12H30)

Cheers gents

Stringjunkie
Tiny Terror

Re: Dark Terror Tube Replacement

Post by Stringjunkie » Sat Jan 25, 2014 11:52 am

I changed V1 to a Tung sol and it helped a lot. An EQ in the loop does wonders too. Ultimately I'm tradig mine in tonight on an OR15.

Inder_Cine_Mann

Post by Inder_Cine_Mann » Sat Jan 25, 2014 6:09 pm

I use my 10 band in the loop which helps for note clarity, but there's no way it helps the fizzy or buzzy drive and gain.

I'll try the Tung-Sol, thanks.

Anybody else?

Or is this amp garbage.

jasondunringill
Tiny Terror

Post by jasondunringill » Sat Jan 25, 2014 11:21 pm

Inder_Cine_Mann wrote:I use my 10 band in the loop which helps for note clarity, but there's no way it helps the fizzy or buzzy drive and gain.

Anybody else?

Or is this amp garbage.
Never used the dark terror but always disliked the hi-gain sounds in my tiny terror, like you I found it quite fizzy, but didn't get to that point until the gain was well past 12 o'clock. That said I love the sound of the amp up to that point and use overdrive pedals to get the dirtier sounds I like.
Don't think the amp is garbage, lots of folk love it, but if you don't like the gain on it (and that's really what this amp is meant for) then it may not be the amp for you. A change of valves may help but won't change the fundamental voice of the amp.
Gibson Les Paul standard
Fender strat
CV tele
Epiphone Sheraton
Charvel pro Mod type 2
Faith and eko acoustics
Orange dual terror
Fender Blues Jr
Ppc112 cab
Proc212ob cab
Peavey deuce
Not enough pedals!

Kenji

Post by Kenji » Fri Feb 14, 2014 6:33 am

jasondunringill wrote:
Inder_Cine_Mann wrote:I use my 10 band in the loop which helps for note clarity, but there's no way it helps the fizzy or buzzy drive and gain.

Anybody else?

Or is this amp garbage.
Never used the dark terror but always disliked the hi-gain sounds in my tiny terror, like you I found it quite fizzy, but didn't get to that point until the gain was well past 12 o'clock. That said I love the sound of the amp up to that point and use overdrive pedals to get the dirtier sounds I like.
Don't think the amp is garbage, lots of folk love it, but if you don't like the gain on it (and that's really what this amp is meant for) then it may not be the amp for you. A change of valves may help but won't change the fundamental voice of the amp.
To be fair, I dislike the high gain on the TT but love it on the DT

stargazer747
Tiny Terror

Post by stargazer747 » Sat May 25, 2019 10:30 am

Any buzz or fizz in my tone on any of my 5x Orange Terrors amp, to me is a characteristic of its classic British crunch tone. The Dark Terror can sound vintage voiced or modern metal if you know how to dial it in using just the volume, gain, and shape controls. And you have an array of more tones to harness using the FX Loop and any boost, overdrives, and EQ in the front. They do take pedals very nicely these amps.

Its very easy to do on these amps, be patient and careful when working with electronics and only take apart what you know, make sure of course the amp is off and unplugged from the power. When opening and closing the amp's cover don't over do it as you will strip the screws and the hole's threads. Try not to touch the tubes with your fingers, use a dry cotton cloth, oils from your skin can remain on the glass and eventually affect it when they get hot which can result in fracturing the glass.Take your time rocking the tubes back and forth lightly to loosen them up as you tug on them pulling upwards till they are free. Do the same when installing the new ones making sure to align the pins properly and don't force as you will bend them and damage the tube or the socket, make sure they are snugly inserted and that they don't move loosely while in the socket, put the aluminum sleeves back on the preamp tubes and the spring retention rings on the power tubes and close it up.

I recently did a full re-tube on my Dark Terror, the stock JJs were the factory installed (its the oldest of my 5x Terrors and most frequently used for rehearsals at volumes past 12 noon). I hand picked the tubes from various brands that I reviewed their specs online and now the amp is even better IMO. Does it matter if the preamp tubes are the same manufacturer and model 12AX7 tubes or not? I read many posts saying both no and a few yes, so I gave it a try. The power tubes of course are matched pair. Now it appears there is some more clarity in the harmonics than what I can recall from the original tubes and slightly more gain as well. All in all it proved to restore the amp's performance as the old factory installed tubes were wearing out and beginning to make the amp sound a bit dull and drop a little volume. I still love the JJs as well and I keep a full set of spares for all my Terrors. These are what I chose to try out on my Dark Terror...

Preamp-
V1 = Mullard 12AX7 high gain rated
V2 = Tung-Sol 12AX7 Standard high gain rated
V3 = Sovtek 12AX7WB
FX Loop = EHX 12AT7
Power = TAD EL84-STR Premium Select Matched Duet
Orange Rocker 15 Terror-EVH5150III-Hughes&Kettner-Marshall-Celestion-Jackson-Fender-Gibson-PRS-Laguna-AnalogAlien-Earthquaker-Walrus-CryBaby-MXR-BOSS-EHX-Ibanez-TCE-ZOOM-DiMarzio-ErnieBall-Tortex-Pedaltrain

Shawn Rock

Post by Shawn Rock » Sat May 25, 2019 11:46 am

Stringjunkie wrote:
Sat Jan 25, 2014 11:52 am
I changed V1 to a Tung sol and it helped a lot. An EQ in the loop does wonders too. Ultimately I'm tradig mine in tonight on an OR15.

OR15 wayyyyy better.