Multitrack recorder that does more than two at once

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Taronja
Orange Master

Multitrack recorder that does more than two at once

Post by Taronja » Sun Jan 12, 2014 9:48 pm

Anyone know of a digital 8 or 4 track that does more than just two at once?

Iv been searching around online and cant seem to find anything.

Thanks
Jon
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Easter-B ... 6877535568
Member since 2005
Currently a non orange owner. Im actively in search of a vintage OR head... Feel free to send me any leads... :)

jontheid
Orange Expert

Re: Multitrack recorder that does more than two at once

Post by jontheid » Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:56 pm

Even the humble Zoom R16 can record 8 tracks at once, and has 8 xlr ins.

http://www.zoom.co.jp/products/r16" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

megalithic
Orange Hero

Post by megalithic » Mon Jan 13, 2014 1:56 pm

Can that one even be used stand alone? In any case, I think the Zoom HD16 can.

And also a whole bunch of the older units: Korg d12 and d1200 have 4 track simultaneous recording, the d16, d1600, and d888 can do 8.

Tascam DP-24 and DP-32 can do 8 track simultaneous recording.

Maybe some of the bigger Fostex and Yamaha multi-tracks also (maybe no longer in production).

Taronja
Orange Master

Post by Taronja » Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:16 pm

megalithic wrote:Can that one even be used stand alone? In any case, I think the Zoom HD16 can.

And also a whole bunch of the older units: Korg d12 and d1200 have 4 track simultaneous recording, the d16, d1600, and d888 can do 8.

Tascam DP-24 and DP-32 can do 8 track simultaneous recording.

Maybe some of the bigger Fostex and Yamaha multi-tracks also (maybe no longer in production).
Awesome, thanks!!!

Should go with Korg or Tascam?
Im feeling more towards the Tascam. Im gonna have to read up on reviews.

Im looking for Simple with decent quality.

Jon
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Easter-B ... 6877535568
Member since 2005
Currently a non orange owner. Im actively in search of a vintage OR head... Feel free to send me any leads... :)

nlimbaugh
Orange Master

Post by nlimbaugh » Tue Jan 14, 2014 3:33 pm

I've been using a Roland for over ten years and I'm not at all selling Roland (at all). It's a stand alone machine, but it took a good long tome to use the functions and I still don't use any of the mastering tools or automated mixing junk. Maybe I'm lazy and like to stick to the hard way of using all fingers and toes and mix on the fly over and over again until I get it fight. At any rate, my point is that when you invest you're ultimately investing a bunch of your time to learn an operating system to some degree. If you already know Pro Tools or whatever more power to you. I know I'll never learn any more of that mixing/producing stuff than I absolutely have to. Just something to keep in mind... your time is probably worth a lot more than any machine in the long run and the recording quality is pretty much going to come down to YOU and then your mic. Sorry for such a long winded response. Just a little more wind (or gas)... there is a fun side to recording (especially multi tracking) but darn it's a hassle... albeit a hassle that makes you a better sounding player in many many respects. Good luck... I mean it's not really luck.... just go for it. :D

megalithic
Orange Hero

Post by megalithic » Tue Jan 14, 2014 7:26 pm

The Korg stuff is only available used, but when you buy something used make sure it has features you want, you might not want recording only to SCSI devices, many models do not have USB.

But you may be able to find more models on your own, simply search for a brand name and "digital multi track" and stuff will come up. Picture searches are also interesting.