72 OR80 Combo with pics

Maybe someone can help you date your Orange Amplifier?

Moderator: bclaire

drbob1

72 OR80 Combo with pics

Post by drbob1 » Sun Dec 01, 2013 10:53 pm

Just picked this one up from an Ebay listing from England. It sustained a little damage in shipping, and is at my techs getting filter caps and repair. I'll probably get a head box built because the combo is going to be HEAVY! Combo cab came without speakers, so I'll have to decide between G12H30s and 50w Fane copies (probably go with the Fanes for durability). Apparently a rarer type 1 preamp with mid-lift inductor? And Parmeko transformers FWIW. Seems to be all original.

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Re: 72 OR80 Combo with pics

Post by bclaire » Mon Dec 02, 2013 12:52 am

Nice! Any pix of the cab and such?

Good score!

drbob1

Post by drbob1 » Mon Dec 02, 2013 1:21 am

I'll post cab pics tomorrow…

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Post by a.hun » Mon Dec 02, 2013 9:35 pm

On the speakers, if only using two I'd be tempted to go for something higher rated than either the H-30s or Fane 50 copies. Of those two, if the Fane copies are fairly accurate, I'd actually say the 'H's would survive better. Celestion have always rated their drivers pretty conservatively and two would normally handle an OR80. Fanes though do tend to blow at or very close to their rating and these may well actually be less robust!
http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showpo ... stcount=58" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showpo ... ostcount=7" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Either way I'd personally feel happier with something 'H' like but higher power rated, eg Classic Lead 80s or similar. There are various options including some apparently excellent ones from Scumback.

Sorry, those pics are so huge I can't easily make very much of them. Maybe you could resize them???

Andy.
aNDyH. :wink:

Ever tried to outstare a mirror?

In the bathtub of history the truth is harder to hold than the soap, and much more difficult to find!

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Tue Dec 03, 2013 1:10 am

Weird, Andy - They're sized right on my laptop!

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Post by a.hun » Tue Dec 03, 2013 10:48 am

My abacus maybe isn't as smart as your laptop then. It is showing them at full scale 2560 x 1920.

Andy.

In the bathtub of history the truth is harder to hold than the soap, and much more difficult to find!

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:38 am

What browser do you use? I'm using Firefox...

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Post by a.hun » Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:41 pm

IE 11.umpteen...

Guess what, I'm an old duffer who only gets excited about computers when they don't work. Otherwise I just use what I know and couldn't care less until it stops doing its thing.

Strange though, I just looked at the options menu and it should be resizing the pics to fit the page (option selected). Isn't though...

Our iPad does fit them on screen nicely. Maybe I should get really adventurous and try a different browser on the PC... :oops:

Looks great drbob1. Hope the shipping damage wasn't too bad.

Andy.

drbob1

Post by drbob1 » Thu Dec 05, 2013 2:47 am

It was weird, the "outrigger" bar that supports the face panel snapped at the screw that goes thru the panel. Otherwise it's intact, my guy already got the screw out, so now it's a matter of finding another and threading it back together. And the seller helped with the cost of repairs, so all is good. Can't wait to fire this baby up. I have an old Orange 412 loaded with an assortment of Fane speakers I'm dying to plug this into. On another note, is it weird to anyone else that, of all the pics in the catalog, there are NONE of the back or inside of a 412 cab? Mine has a vent along the bottom at the back, but unfortunately any logo or serial plate are long gone so I have no idea when it was built (came unloaded, so no clues there either).

Gladmarr
Orange Master

Post by Gladmarr » Thu Dec 05, 2013 4:53 pm

I've never seen a vent on the back of an Orange 4x12. I'd suspect that was a modification to make it like a hiwatt or sound city 4x12.