How to get more gain out of my rockerverb 100

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

rpadams

How to get more gain out of my rockerverb 100

Post by rpadams » Mon Nov 18, 2013 3:32 pm

Hey guys im in a Groove metal/blues metal/stonermetal what ever you wanna call it band. Coc pantera down clutch and throw in some hardcore ala black flag and thats what we sound like. Right now im using a rockerverb 10 with an orange cab and a marshall cab so its a full stack. only thing i really run is a american big muff for some songs. I also use a gibson les paul studio. I know dimebag used solid state in pantera and all that but im trying to kinda get my own "dimebag" tone with my orange. I want monster distortion and a shitload of treble but also with that warm tube tone. What kind of pedals do i need to achieve this?

fiveightandten
Orange Master

Re: How to get more gain out of my rockerverb 100

Post by fiveightandten » Mon Nov 18, 2013 4:36 pm

rpadams wrote:Hey guys im in a Groove metal/blues metal/stonermetal what ever you wanna call it band. Coc pantera down clutch and throw in some hardcore ala black flag and thats what we sound like. Right now im using a rockerverb 10 with an orange cab and a marshall cab so its a full stack. only thing i really run is a american big muff for some songs. I also use a gibson les paul studio. I know dimebag used solid state in pantera and all that but im trying to kinda get my own "dimebag" tone with my orange. I want monster distortion and a shitload of treble but also with that warm tube tone. What kind of pedals do i need to achieve this?
Turn the treble on 10, turn the mids on 0, put the bass around 5. Turn the gain all the way up. For what you want, you'll probably need a pedal that's a combination noise gate and compressor (or 2 pedals that do those things). Compress it and gate it pretty hard.

Monster distortion with tons of treble is the complete opposite of warm tube tone. The amp does the latter without trying. For the former, try the above, or sell it for something else.

That's the best way I can think of to make your amp sound like a solid state amp. But truth be told, you can save a lot of money by selling the amp and buying something solid state.

-Nick
'71 GRO100 || '96 OR-80 || AD30 || '64 AC-50 || AC-30TBX || Hiwatt DR504 || HI-TONE HT30
LP Standard || LP Studio || LP Custom Lite || Ric 620 || Ric 360 || MIA Tele || SG 61 RI

myboss57
Orange Master

Post by myboss57 » Mon Nov 18, 2013 4:38 pm

I'm not sure how much more gain/distortion you need. I had a RV100 for a while (with an Orange PPC 412) and had plenty, all the gain I could use. The one thing I did was put in a quad of KT88s in mine, which gave me a bit more loudness and clean headroom, and seemed to tighten up the Dirty channel a bit.

I never used dirt/fuzz pedals with mine, and I've read everywhere that the RV100 doesn't take kindly to them. All I can say is maybe you could try fiddling more with the RV's eq controls and seeing what you can get. Or maybe try an eq pedal that would allow you to dial in more/fine tune the treble frequencies?

Also, you could play around swapping out some preamp tubes. Different pre tubes will give you a slightly different character as well.
Gibson SG Standard
http://www.nightmovesmd.bandcamp.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Sovtek Mig 100h
TC Alter Ego
Mesa Oversized 412
Prev amps: 90s OD120, Tiny Terror, Rockerverb 100mk1

rpadams

Post by rpadams » Mon Nov 18, 2013 4:40 pm

Rockerverb 100 sorry and what like a tube screamer maybe? and its not my amp lol. So i cant get rid of it. but i just want massive sounds out my amp just a sound that roars. But not copying dimebag because he used solid state. I like the american big muff because it kinda gives it that huge sound that kinda engulfs you. I want that with just more clarity and distortion

rpadams

Post by rpadams » Mon Nov 18, 2013 4:44 pm

In my opinion the big muff sounds amazing almost exactly like weedeater's tone.

myboss57
Orange Master

Post by myboss57 » Mon Nov 18, 2013 4:47 pm

I mean, maybe a boost or OD pedal like a Tube Screamer would get you there. There is a pedal from Mad Professor called Stone Grey Distortion that is supposed to provide oodles of distortion yet maintain a clarity with the notes, if that is what you mean. You might try that.

But really, it sounds like what you have is a pretty massive and awesome tone. To me, you seem to be where you want more or less. I've never used an EQ pedal, but it could be helpful if it will help you tweak the amp's settings some.

Otherwise, swap some preamp tubes and play around with that.
Gibson SG Standard
http://www.nightmovesmd.bandcamp.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Sovtek Mig 100h
TC Alter Ego
Mesa Oversized 412
Prev amps: 90s OD120, Tiny Terror, Rockerverb 100mk1

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Post by Jondog » Mon Nov 18, 2013 5:06 pm

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Mon Nov 18, 2013 5:47 pm

Frankly, the RV100 has plenty of gain and enough volume to knock you off your feet whilst at it.

If you need tighter, more treboy gain, tell your friend to swap his RV for a mesa bookie, Randall or Marshall - because I think that's what you want.

Orange amps are all about low midrange warmth. If that doesn't work for you, you need something else.
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

rpadams

Post by rpadams » Mon Nov 18, 2013 5:57 pm

we actually have a metalzone bit ive never ran it through the orange

thelatrobe33
Tiny Terror

Post by thelatrobe33 » Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:29 pm

Jondog wrote:Image
BEST... PEDAL... EVER :lol:
Dual Dark 50, Friedman Smallbox, '78 Twin Reverb, PPC412A, PPC212C

Randy Bass
Lord of Orange

Post by Randy Bass » Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:36 pm

It is actually a little challenging to make most Oranges sound like Dimebag (or ass, if you like). His tone was very much the opposite of what Oranges do, so it's hard for anyone here to offer much useful advice without a bit of sarcasm. The Metal Zone is a good start though, as I have personally heard two of them simultaneously make two M*rshalls sound like sh!t...er...Dimebag.

Having said that, I think you should save up for a Randall head that will give you the ability to get a lot closer to the Dimebag sound if you want, but will also allow you to sound much better if you so choose. I bought a used 300-watt solid-state Randall Titan head on Craigslist for around $125 IIRC and I love it. It has a lot of range in the EQ to dial-in many different heavy tones, and it's freaking thunderous when you turn it up.

fiveightandten
Orange Master

Post by fiveightandten » Tue Nov 19, 2013 12:18 am

Good call on the metal zone.

Pick one of those up. I guess i'll say what other people are too polite to say. You're asking how to make a nice sounding amp sound bad. Also, the RV100 has enough onboard gain to melt your face off if you're running the amp at its power level (and even if you're not). There's simply no need to use any more gain.

Maybe if you were doing an experiment to see how much you could flatten a wave form with pre-amp saturation. Then I could see needing that much gain, for purposes of experimentation.

Anyways, the best way to use way too much gain and make it sound terrible is to use a metal zone and a gate. Or use a compressor and a gate.

-Nick
'71 GRO100 || '96 OR-80 || AD30 || '64 AC-50 || AC-30TBX || Hiwatt DR504 || HI-TONE HT30
LP Standard || LP Studio || LP Custom Lite || Ric 620 || Ric 360 || MIA Tele || SG 61 RI

Orange Hero

Post by 0000 » Tue Nov 19, 2013 12:21 am

*CRINGES* :shock:

Anyway... you could change the pickups in your guitar also, to like... EMG's or some of the contemporary humbuckers from BareKnuckle... https://bareknucklepickups.co.uk/main/p ... humbuckers" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
-Electrical Guitar Company "Buzzo" Double-Cut, Solid Aluminum, Gold Anodized.
-Gronlund Newcomb Custom aluminum hollow-body guitar.
-Matchless Phoenix 35 w/ Matchless 4x10 Cabinet

Spaceboy1
Orange Hero

Post by Spaceboy1 » Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:39 am

If you need more gain than a RV100 has, then there's either something wrong with your tubes or your ears. A RV100 isn't going to get that solid state Randall Dimebag sound. You could try a tubescreamer with drive set low to boost, that should get you into the ballpark.

bfitz
Orange Expert

Post by bfitz » Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:48 am

There is something amiss here....

Orange AD30
Groove Tubes Soul-O 75
Orange PPC 212 OB
Boss Nextone 40
Fender CIJ Pink Paisley Tele
Fender Classic Player Strat 50s
Yamaha SA1200s