Dark Terror power lamp is sporadically working

Orange Amps Technical Q&A's

Moderator: bclaire

javburg

Dark Terror power lamp is sporadically working

Post by javburg » Fri Oct 11, 2013 2:31 pm

Hi, I've had my Dark Terror for about a month now and I need some help to figure out whats wrong.

The amp's power lamp works when I turn the amp on, but after about 5 minutes of playing the light goes out. I've unscrewed the front of the light and there is nothing wrong with the light itself. If I turn the amp off and wait about 15 mins, and turn it on again, the light works.

I've read somewhere on the forum that the light runs off the tube heater supply, so could that be faulty?
Orange Dark Terror through a PPC112

javburg

Re: Dark Terror power lamp is sporadically working

Post by javburg » Sun Oct 13, 2013 7:05 am

Ok, so last night I tried to figure out if one of the settings on the amp triggers the lamp/light to fail. So firstly I placed the amp on standby and started playing with a high gain setting (between 3 & 4 o'clock) and again the light went off. After the amp was switched off for a while I started playing with the gain at noon and gradually upped the gain while playing. The light did not go off then!
This morning I tried to emulate the results, but now the light just won't come on…
I'm taking it to the shop on Monday, so I'll post what they think is wrong. I'm not sure if it's just the lamp itself that failed, because shouldn't it just stop working, rather than working sporadically before dying?

RickenBangler
Orange Hero

Post by RickenBangler » Sun Oct 13, 2013 8:18 am

javburg wrote:I've unscrewed the front of the light and there is nothing wrong with the light itself.
Have you actually checked to see if the bulb itself is properly seated? Maybe try a replacement bulb first before digging deeper... could just be dirty contact.
CR60C+PPC112 Mini Stack
Rickenbacker 620/6 JetGlo | G&L Fallout | Fender P-Bass
MarkBass Micromark 801
Past Orange Relationships Micro Crush | Crush CR35LDX | Tiny Terror | OR15/PPC112

The Provocateurs Bandcamp

javburg

Post by javburg » Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:40 am

RickenBangler wrote:
javburg wrote:I've unscrewed the front of the light and there is nothing wrong with the light itself.
Have you actually checked to see if the bulb itself is properly seated? Maybe try a replacement bulb first before digging deeper... could just be dirty contact.
Yes, I took it out and cleaned it with a cloth and put it back in, but was still faulty. I took it out on Sunday night and the bulb was blown with burn marks on the glass. So yesterday I phoned the shop where I bought it to find out whether they have replacement bulbs, but they wanted to check the amp to make sure everything is ok, and if something else caused the bulb to blow, rather than it only being a bad bulb. I will hopefully get it back tomorrow!

javburg

Post by javburg » Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:06 am

Ok, so I got my amp back from the shop about a week ago and everything is good now. They replaced the bulb and resoldered dry joints on the main pcb, which came like that from the factory.

Kleaver-Kracken

Post by Kleaver-Kracken » Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:23 pm

I have the very same issue with mine and i've had it new from the factory out of the box for... 1 day.

pretty annoying with all oranges emphasis on reliable build quality.
obv not a massive issue its just the on light but still...

did you ever find the source of the problem?

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Post by a.hun » Tue Jul 15, 2014 3:31 pm

Yes he did. Re-read the last post.

If a new Orange is faulty Orange always want to know about it. They'll see you properly sorted.

Take it back to the dealer for repair / replacement.

Andy.
aNDyH. :wink:

Ever tried to outstare a mirror?

In the bathtub of history the truth is harder to hold than the soap, and much more difficult to find!

FredJP

Post by FredJP » Tue Jun 11, 2019 3:51 pm

I'm having the exact same issue with my Dark Terror. Since day one (bought it a month ago), the power light was shaky, but now I often get nothing at all. Everything else seems to be working fine though. The support at Orange suggested that I ask my retailler to order a replacement bulb, but it's sold out. I'll try to swap the bulb I have on my Rockerverb to see if that's the problem and I'll post again.
Rockerverb MKIII 50 (PPC212). Dark Terror (PPC 212). Micro dark (PPC12). Les Paul standard

northernguitarguy
Tiny Terror

Post by northernguitarguy » Wed Jun 12, 2019 4:13 pm

FredJP wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 3:51 pm
I'm having the exact same issue with my Dark Terror. Since day one (bought it a month ago), the power light was shaky, but now I often get nothing at all. Everything else seems to be working fine though. The support at Orange suggested that I ask my retailler to order a replacement bulb, but it's sold out. I'll try to swap the bulb I have on my Rockerverb to see if that's the problem and I'll post again.
Take it back to the retailer. This is ridiculous for a new amp.