Micro Terror...

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Zachohh
Rocker

Micro Terror...

Post by Zachohh » Thu Aug 29, 2013 12:41 am

So, on a side note to my other thread... While I was messing with the heads, and trying to figure that problem out, I spent some good time with the micro terror.. And dang. With the gain up pretty high and with the volume even at two... THIS THING IS BEASTLY. Seriously. Why lug the RV to practice when I could just take the micro terror and just bring out the big guns for practice.

The clean doesn't seem to get quite as loud without getting crunchy, but that still sounds pretty great. This head just blows me away every time I use it.

Anyone else have some good love with the micro terror? How do you like pedals with it? I've parted with all of my pedals except my Boss TU-2 and my Line 6 DL4. So I haven't tried a distortion pedal with it.

Anyways... Seriously, for what it is... What a beast. Props to orange for this. On top of everything else awesome they already do.

Still waiting to check out the new SS series modeled after the Rockerverbs.
Orange Rockerverb 100
Vox AD120VTH w/ AD212
Gibson Firebird V
Fender Telecaster
Seagull and Ovation Acoustic Electrics

msmith4432
Orange Master

Re: Micro Terror...

Post by msmith4432 » Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:27 am

I would like to have the micro at some point, how is the headphone Jack :?:
Mesa boogie Stiletto ace
OR 50 40th anniversary
Orange CS50
Orange 2x12 ppc
Mesa Boogie wide body 1x12
Gibson Les Paul custom black beauty(maple Fretboard)
Gibson Les Paul custom 58 vos
Gibson les Paul custom 57 vos

Zachohh
Rocker

Post by Zachohh » Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:47 am

msmith4432 wrote:I would like to have the micro at some point, how is the headphone Jack :?:
Honestly, that's my least favorite part. The Clean sounds pretty good! (yay!) and maybe this is just a problem with the headphones I use, because the last amp I had with a headphone jack sounded bad too on a dirty channel, but with the gain up, it doesn't sound great. But that's with the gain ALL the way up. Haha.

Other than that, clean still sounds good. Probably with higher quality headphones it'd be a lot better!
Orange Rockerverb 100
Vox AD120VTH w/ AD212
Gibson Firebird V
Fender Telecaster

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Post by a.hun » Thu Aug 29, 2013 5:58 am

Zachohh wrote:
msmith4432 wrote:I would like to have the micro at some point, how is the headphone Jack :?:
Honestly, that's my least favorite part. The Clean sounds pretty good! (yay!) and maybe this is just a problem with the headphones I use, because the last amp I had with a headphone jack sounded bad too on a dirty channel, but with the gain up, it doesn't sound great. But that's with the gain ALL the way up. Haha.

Other than that, clean still sounds good. Probably with higher quality headphones it'd be a lot better!
Probably it would. The headphone out on my Micro Crush Pix combo sounds great both clean and dirty. I'm using Beyer DT770 Pros.

Andy.
aNDyH. :wink:

Ever tried to outstare a mirror?

In the bathtub of history the truth is harder to hold than the soap, and much more difficult to find!

misterfolkertsma
Orange Expert

Post by misterfolkertsma » Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:46 am

Does it have speaker emulation?

alanbama
Tiny Terror

Post by alanbama » Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:17 pm

misterfolkertsma wrote:Does it have speaker emulation?

You took the words right out of my mouth. I guess it would almost have to, wouldn't it?
Image Need I say more?

irish_admiral
Prince of Orange

Post by irish_admiral » Thu Aug 29, 2013 3:53 pm

Don't think so.

It's solid state power amp, isn't it?
Joe

G(sus) saves

Orange AD15, Matamp 1224, Fender 'JD' Tele, G&L ASAT, Duesenberg Starplayer TV, Eggle Kanuga, Avalon D25, Warwick FNA Jazzman, Eden Nemesis / Bergantino EX112S, Eastman MD305 & other stuff...

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Post by a.hun » Thu Aug 29, 2013 3:56 pm

Yeah there is def. decent emulation on the Micro Pix. Would sound bloomin' awful - as in totally useless - without, and really doesn't!

Of course that isn't the MT, but I can't see them getting that wrong when they'd got it right with the cheapest in range.

Andy.

In the bathtub of history the truth is harder to hold than the soap, and much more difficult to find!

alanbama
Tiny Terror

Post by alanbama » Thu Aug 29, 2013 7:07 pm

Wouldn't any amp make your guitar sound sort of like an acoustic without speaker emulation?
Image Need I say more?

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Post by a.hun » Thu Aug 29, 2013 7:19 pm

alanbama wrote:Wouldn't any amp make your guitar sound sort of like an acoustic without speaker emulation?
Only if your acoustic sounds like an angry wasp in a jar...

Point is that guitar amp speakers are far from full range. (Or electric guitar is far from full range! :shock:)
Guitar speakers put out very little above about 4-5kHz. A speaker emulator (really 'guitar amp type speaker emulator') filters out those higher frequencies. If you play through normal full range speakers (or take a direct output to headphones) you'll get a nasty thin toppy sound.

Andy.

alanbama
Tiny Terror

Post by alanbama » Fri Aug 30, 2013 2:40 am

Only if your acoustic sounds like an angry wasp in a jar...

LOL!
Image Need I say more?

Zachohh
Rocker

Post by Zachohh » Tue Sep 03, 2013 2:26 am

I'm honestly not sure about speaker emulation! And... well, I don't know what kind of headphones I have. Just some old ones my friend gave me. Nothing spectacular!
Orange Rockerverb 100
Vox AD120VTH w/ AD212
Gibson Firebird V
Fender Telecaster

Jabberwocky
Orange Expert

Post by Jabberwocky » Tue Sep 03, 2013 1:20 pm

Yeah lot of love here for the Micro Terror. Bought it as a praccy amp and a backup for my Rocker 30, for which the MT is ideal is it is only a bit larger than a cigarrete packet, therefore anything but back breaking to carry in to gigs. I also use this puppy for band rehearsals where it does a great job.

Blown away by the power and tone from this mighty micro through my PPC 212 OB. Bought the PPC108 with it, which is a little boxy and does not do the MT justice, though it does crank out some interesting honky blues tones. Might convert it to an 108 OB to get some more bottom end.

Only ever used a little out front reverb, so no comments on pedals. As for the headphone output, yes a little thin with ceap headphones

Great wee amplifier!
Fender USA Standard Stratocaster
Gordon Smith Galaxy
Gibson Les Paul Classic
Faith Jupiter Jumbo Acoustic
Orange Rocker 30 HD
Orange Micro Terror
Orange PPC 212 OB
Lead
Plectrum
Attitude
Sorted!

Incubus
Rocker

Post by Incubus » Tue Sep 03, 2013 1:55 pm

It is indeed an insanely well sounding amp for what it is...

Almost all solo's on our debut record was recorded with the micro terror