Moving Amps long distance

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

ironlung40
Orange Master

Re: Moving Amps long distance

Post by ironlung40 » Mon Jul 22, 2013 12:13 am

No Doubt, ship it! Not that big of a deal really, and the money spent really has to be worth it to remove the hassle of finding and modifying another amp.

This is a no brainer, IMHO.
Sincerely,
Ironlung40
OR120 Pix/text
Tiny Terror HW
Rocker 30 combo
Rockververb 100 MKII
Thunderverb 200
Gibson SG 61 RI

jstarguitars

Post by jstarguitars » Mon Jul 22, 2013 3:21 am

ship .you cant buy the same mojo back ya sold!
"dean cadillac & orange amps"

misterMagoo
Orange Master

Post by misterMagoo » Mon Jul 22, 2013 3:34 pm

indianDYsummer wrote:Oooof, pods are expensive! There goes that idea for me too.

Where are you heading btw? Hollywood for your one true chance to make it as an action film star? :D
Lol.. That might not be too far off :)

Map 1

Map 2

Started a blog a while back, writing about it there - http://lifereformatted.wordpress.com/

Currently looking for places to crash in Savannah GA, Memphis TN, OK City OK, Albuquerque, and Flagstaff. :)
-Joe
My mother wears army boots.

RV50 mkI
AC30 combo

Hot tamale.

http://lifereformatted.wordpress.com/
Check out my blog - adventure, travel, and the meaning of life.

Ddjembe Mutombo
Orange Master

Post by Ddjembe Mutombo » Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:48 pm

I have 3 heads, 2 4x12's, 1 2x12, 1 AC15 combo, 7 guitars, a 4-piece kit, and a mixing desk + monitors that I have moved several times across the country:

Austin, TX -> Syracuse, NY (2009)
Syracuse, NY -> Williston, ND (2010)
Williston, ND -> Denver, CO (2011)
Denver, CO -> Houston, TX (2012)
Houston, TX -> Denver, CO (2013)

For me the best thing to do was install a hitch on my car and rent one of those small UHaul 4x8 trailers. The trailer is usually about $400 for a 2,000 mile one-way trip. I think that is a solid way to do things given the cost. It usually is cheaper to bring stuff with you then to sell and buy new stuff.

If you only have a couple items that you are on the edge with then ship them. The cheapest way would probably build a crate that can be lifted with a fork lift out of some wood at Home Depot and send it out on a LTL (less-than-truckload) freight truck. If it is just an AC30, then box it up and send it UPS.
Monty

tarfungo
Tiny Terror

Post by tarfungo » Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:02 am

You could also try using a local freight broker. You can tell them exactly how and where and under what conditions you want your items to be shipped and you can also negotiate a bit on pricing as long as you don't want something delivered yesterday.

I recently shipped two Orange PPC212 cabs, one Orange AD30HTC and 4 loose Celestion 12" speakers from Wisconsin to California. Well over 200 lbs. Delivered undamaged. The total cost was $210.

After boxing the amps and speakers in their original shipping boxes, I procured a wooden pallet from a local grocery store - who was happy to get rid of one, carefully arranged the items on the pallet putting the speaker cabs face down on the pallet (so the boxed speakers were closest to the pallet surface), wrapped the boxes on the pallet with plastic moving wrap purchased from a local moving company. One pallet. One item to ship. Viola!

Have the total weight and physical dimensions on hand. Call the broker.

I told the freight broker that I wanted the pallet to be delivered end-to-end - meaning; it is put on a truck in Wisconsin and taken off the truck in California - one truck - no transfers. I also told them I really didn't care how long it took to ship as long as the time was reasonable and it reduced my costs. The shipment took about 4 working days after waiting 3 working days for the pallet to be picked up.
Orange AD30HTC
Orange Rocker 30 Combo
Orange OR50H
Orange PPC212 x 2