What's your favourite Fuzz???? What do you do with it?

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

What's your favourite Fuzz???? What do you do with it?

Post by Les Paul Lover » Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:08 am

EDIT:

D'oh, I managed to post a thread without the obligatory waffle..... :roll:

I got hold of the above swollen pickle a few weeks back - I really like it so far.

It's a Big Muff Pi variant of sort I read - in any case, it does quite a lot.
I aboslutely love its lead tone - it sounds like its almost out of control, bent notes come out absolutely screaming, its brilliant!
It's also pretty good at reasonnably woolly fuzz, and does a particularily mean distortion too (which I may have no use for, but we'll see!!!).

What do you have? What do you use them for?

I might try go to go after an super woolly smooth fuzz in future.......
Last edited by Les Paul Lover on Tue Jul 16, 2013 12:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Re: What's your favourite Fuzz???? What do you do with it?

Post by Jondog » Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:49 am

I'm digging my MXR Classic Fuzz right now, it's the classic fuzz face sound. Has a buffer feature that sounds great on my Rocker! Other than that I seem to have alot of fun with my Fuzz Factory clone, always a different sound to be had.

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Tue Jul 16, 2013 12:08 pm

Jondog wrote:I'm digging my MXR Classic Fuzz right now, it's the classic fuzz face sound. Has a buffer feature that sounds great on my Rocker! Other than that I seem to have alot of fun with my Fuzz Factory clone, always a different sound to be had.

The more I hear about the Fuzz Factory, the more I want one!!!!!!!

Is it reasonnably easy to use/figure out?
Ant

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

Orange Hero

Post by 0000 » Tue Jul 16, 2013 12:57 pm

Death By Audio - FUZZ WAR.

So simple to use and such a dynamic range of tones.

http://www.deathbyaudiostore.com/Produc ... de=DBA0099" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
-Electrical Guitar Company "Buzzo" Double-Cut, Solid Aluminum, Gold Anodized.
-Gronlund Newcomb Custom aluminum hollow-body guitar.
-Matchless Phoenix 35 w/ Matchless 4x10 Cabinet

Thinline_slim
Orange Master

Post by Thinline_slim » Tue Jul 16, 2013 1:43 pm

I've got a Fulltone Catalyst that I've been really happy with. Set the toggle to "Flame" and there's quite a bit of fuzz to be had. Plus it has a Bass and Treble controls, which is pretty necessary IMO when pairing with an Orange. Maybe not necessary but I have a hard time buying a dirt pedal with only a tone knob just because of the lack of flexibility.

I use it for rhythm tones mostly when I'm differentiating myself from the other guitarist in the band. It's usually not that hard to tell us apart though. He's a hell of a player. :P
Jake
OrangePaul wrote:Ok gitar lead to you Jake :D
"One of the 400"

http://www.purevolume.com/JakeMcallasterBand/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

hitgar
Orange Hero

Post by hitgar » Tue Jul 16, 2013 1:57 pm

I love the fuzzy settings on the BAT Black Forest OD. I mostly use it as a fuzzy drive for thickening up my sound. Hoping to pick up a Blackout Effectors Blunder Buss to use as a thicker fuzz so I can stop constantly tweaking the BAT in between songs. Both are very versatile but they do different things really well.

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Post by Jondog » Tue Jul 16, 2013 2:47 pm

Les Paul Lover wrote:
Jondog wrote:I'm digging my MXR Classic Fuzz right now, it's the classic fuzz face sound. Has a buffer feature that sounds great on my Rocker! Other than that I seem to have alot of fun with my Fuzz Factory clone, always a different sound to be had.

As simple as turning knobs to taste. Outside of volume and gain, the controls are stab, gate and comp. I really don't care what they're called, they could be 1,2 and 3. I wouldn't say they do what they are labeled as, but he probably just needed to call them something. I just play around with them and it does all kinds of wacky things. Sounds very different with different pickups and guitar volume too.

jojo68
Orange Master

Post by jojo68 » Tue Jul 16, 2013 3:39 pm

I slam my amps with the Black Arts Toneworks Pharoah fuzz pedal. It's rules.

apocalypsedude
Rocker

Post by apocalypsedude » Tue Jul 16, 2013 3:50 pm

+1 on the BAT Pharaoh!

Only had it for a little over a week, so far I'm loving it. Lots of flexibility/tones to be had, the Rocker 30 takes this pedal VERY well. This pedal has huge headroom, especially with the no diodes setting. Right now I have it set on the Silicone diode setting for a Sabbath Vol. 4 , Cornucopia tone into the Rocker 30's natural channel. I'm liking it more for higher gain tones than the Rocker's Dirty channel and that's saying a lot, currently I have the Dirty channel set for a Humble Pie sort of classic crunch, then switch over to the Natural channel and kick the Pharaoh on for some flamethrowin. Kick on a Fulltone Fatboost in the chain after the fuzz for more volume and watch out! The MXR CAE wah also sounds really wicked in front of the Pharaoh on the yellow fasel setting. Lead tones on the Pharaoh are liquidy and smooth, tons of sustain with just enough bite, while rhythm riffs are wooly enough, with a lot of warmth. I like it when chugging on the open E string is a little loose and "woofy", and this pedal does that, if I need a tighter rhythm sound, I just use the Rocker's Dirty channel.
Orange Dual Dark 50
Rocker 30 head
Ceriatone 2555 (Marshall Silver Jubilee clone)
Framus 4x12 V30s
Fender Pro Jr.
LP Classic 2006
LP Standard 1993
'81 Greco, Japanese "lawsuit" LP Custom
SG Standard 1992

Bensen
Orange Master

Post by Bensen » Wed Jul 17, 2013 4:08 pm

Fuzz Factory - crazy , gated stuff
lovepedal 200lbs - awesome with the strat, like a mix of a great muff + fuzz face. also tons of low end.
Mahoney Bosstone - middy vintagesound, cuts through great
Last edited by Bensen on Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:21 am, edited 2 times in total.

JRogero
Orange Hero

Post by JRogero » Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:17 pm

My favorite is the pharaoh as well. Sounds great through my AD30 and can do anything from subtle to borderline over the top fuzz. I use the Germanium and high setting almost exclusively. It also sounds good with a bass.

Zachohh
Rocker

Post by Zachohh » Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:21 pm

I don't have it yet... it's sort of a fuzz pedal. I've been wanting an earthquaker devices bit commander. The fuzz on it sounds good. But I want to use it mainly for 8 bit like sounds. :)
Orange Rockerverb 100
Vox AD120VTH w/ AD212
Gibson Firebird V
Fender Telecaster
Seagull and Ovation Acoustic Electrics

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:28 pm

Jondog wrote:
Les Paul Lover wrote:

As simple as turning knobs to taste. Outside of volume and gain, the controls are stab, gate and comp. I really don't care what they're called, they could be 1,2 and 3. I wouldn't say they do what they are labeled as, but he probably just needed to call them something. I just play around with them and it does all kinds of wacky things. Sounds very different with different pickups and guitar volume too.
I'll have to get hold Of one at some point. By the way, where did you get your clone from??
Ant

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:34 pm

jojo68 wrote:I slam my amps with the Black Arts Toneworks Pharoah fuzz pedal. It's rules.

I want to try that one too!!

I was playing with my WH swollen pickle, with the sustain maxed I got a great woolly fuzz - brilliant for leads and power chords. However, I was playing a low E power chord, and introducing the G from the low E string causes it to fart terribly!!!!

Is that inherent to all fuzz at high gain settings?
Ant

jojo68
Orange Master

Post by jojo68 » Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:29 am

Les Paul Lover wrote:
jojo68 wrote:I slam my amps with the Black Arts Toneworks Pharoah fuzz pedal. It's rules.

I want to try that one too!!

I was playing with my WH swollen pickle, with the sustain maxed I got a great woolly fuzz - brilliant for leads and power chords. However, I was playing a low E power chord, and introducing the G from the low E string causes it to fart terribly!!!!

Is that inherent to all fuzz at high gain settings?
Hmmm not sure. I have pharoah #6 . Mark the builder is my bud. He didn't set out to do this for a living. He wanted to know what those of us who have sick amps wanted. We wanted something quiet that wouldn't over ride and take over the amps natural tone like a big muff does. Hence the pharoah.