Help Me Find the right Orange

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

ScumBum

Help Me Find the right Orange

Post by ScumBum » Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:00 pm

Hey guys , long time orange user here . I picked up an AD30 single channel and Orange 4x12 cab , when they first came out , I think the year was 2000 . But I wanna move away from the vintage tone and I want more gain . The AD30 sounds like Zeppelin and the Kinks but I want a more rock sound like Guns and Roses , ACDC and Metallica Ride the Lighting .

So I'm gonna sell the AD30 Single channel head and wanna get another Orange . I saw theres the Rocker 30 and the OR15H .

I think the Rocker 30 is discontinued , but i see the OR15H is available for sale .

Anyways which orange amp do you think would work better ?

msmith4432
Orange Master

Re: Help Me Find the right Orange

Post by msmith4432 » Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:42 pm

ScumBum wrote:Hey guys , long time orange user here . I picked up an AD30 single channel and Orange 4x12 cab , when they first came out , I think the year was 2000 . But I wanna move away from the vintage tone and I want more gain . The AD30 sounds like Zeppelin and the Kinks but I want a more rock sound like Guns and Roses , ACDC and Metallica Ride the Lighting .

So I'm gonna sell the AD30 Single channel head and wanna get another Orange . I saw theres the Rocker 30 and the OR15H .

I think the Rocker 30 is discontinued , but i see the OR15H is available for sale .

Anyways which orange amp do you think would work better ?

OR15 will work if you don't need cleans.
Mesa boogie Stiletto ace
OR 50 40th anniversary
Orange CS50
Orange 2x12 ppc
Mesa Boogie wide body 1x12
Gibson Les Paul custom black beauty(maple Fretboard)
Gibson Les Paul custom 58 vos
Gibson les Paul custom 57 vos

ScumBum

Post by ScumBum » Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:16 pm

msmith4432 wrote:

I don't need clean and I'm used to a one channel since thats what my AD30 is .

So the OR15H should be the one to get ? I've heard it on youtube videos and I think its the sound I'm after , just a more modern than the AD30 , higher gain sound . I guess similar to the JCM 800 gain but still Orange . If the OR15H can do it then that would be awesome .

Randy Bass
Lord of Orange

Post by Randy Bass » Sat Jul 06, 2013 12:48 am

I would consider the TH30 if you want Metallica tones from an orange box. It has the most "modern" (tightest) gain structure. If you don't need a 30-watter, the Dark Terror is voiced most like the TH30 out of the 15-watters.

fishmanchu

Post by fishmanchu » Sat Jul 06, 2013 1:23 am

I have an OR15 and play everything from Ac/DC, to The Black Keys, White Stripes, Nirvana, etc and it handles all of them brilliantly. I can't say exactly how it would handle GnR or old Metallica, but with a few pedals I can shape whatever tone that I want through it. I highly, highly recommend the OR15.

ScumBum

Post by ScumBum » Sat Jul 06, 2013 1:29 am

Randy Bass wrote:I would consider the TH30 if you want Metallica tones from an orange box. It has the most "modern" (tightest) gain structure. If you don't need a 30-watter, the Dark Terror is voiced most like the TH30 out of the 15-watters.

I don't want a modern tone . I do like Ride The Lighting ,

msmith4432
Orange Master

Post by msmith4432 » Sat Jul 06, 2013 2:57 am

ScumBum wrote:
msmith4432 wrote:

I don't need clean and I'm used to a one channel since thats what my AD30 is .

So the OR15H should be the one to get ? I've heard it on youtube videos and I think its the sound I'm after , just a more modern than the AD30 , higher gain sound . I guess similar to the JCM 800 gain but still Orange . If the OR15H can do it then that would be awesome .

Yeah it can sound kinda like that dirty marshall tone, it does that pretty well. It also will have quite a bit more gain than the ad30. Very nice sounding amp, owned one for about 4 months and may pick one up again sometime.
Mesa boogie Stiletto ace
OR 50 40th anniversary
Orange CS50
Orange 2x12 ppc
Mesa Boogie wide body 1x12
Gibson Les Paul custom black beauty(maple Fretboard)
Gibson Les Paul custom 58 vos
Gibson les Paul custom 57 vos

RickenBangler
Orange Hero

Post by RickenBangler » Sat Jul 06, 2013 5:52 am

Don't want to sound like I'm posting this just because I use one - but - it's another thumbs up for the OR15 from me. Plenty of gain if you want it (more than I'll ever need) and very flexible once you start to use the EQ with your guitar vol/tone controls.

I can get anything from big fat warm classic Orange to an edgier, more Marshall-like tone. It's a LOUD little beast and the effects loop works like a charm.

Way past the honeymoon period with mine - she's a keeper for sure.
CR60C+PPC112 Mini Stack
Rickenbacker 620/6 JetGlo | G&L Fallout | Fender P-Bass
MarkBass Micromark 801
Past Orange Relationships Micro Crush | Crush CR35LDX | Tiny Terror | OR15/PPC112

The Provocateurs Bandcamp

Randy Bass
Lord of Orange

Post by Randy Bass » Sat Jul 06, 2013 12:20 pm

ScumBum wrote:
Randy Bass wrote:I would consider the TH30 if you want Metallica tones from an orange box. It has the most "modern" (tightest) gain structure. If you don't need a 30-watter, the Dark Terror is voiced most like the TH30 out of the 15-watters.

I don't want a modern tone . I do like Ride The Lighting ,
It looks like I was reading your post too fast.

I would agree with the OR15 for what you want if 15 watts is enough. It will be great for getting the kind of sustain that Slash usually has going on. Be warned that it is a little hard to tame the gain though unless you are playing at high volumes. The OR15 has a ton of gain on tap and it shows up early and abruptly on the dial.

ScumBum

Post by ScumBum » Sat Jul 06, 2013 2:55 pm

Is there any good recordings I could hear with the OR15H ? Do you guys have links to any really good sound clips so I could hear it some more ?

I'm getting hesitant on selling my AD30 , only because its harder to find if I do sell it and end up missing it . It has such a BIG sound , I'm afraid the OR15H will have more gain but sound smaller .

Heres a link to the sound I'm getting now with my AD30 , http://www.gearslutz.com/board/9121839-post110.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Orange Hero

Post by 0000 » Sat Jul 06, 2013 3:36 pm

Honestly... ditching your AD30 for a OR15 is quite the downgrade in amps. I've owned the AD30 (twin channel) and have played the OR15, and although it has more gain, it just lacks the balls and beef of the larger wattage amps. In comparison, it was thinner, more hissy and empty sounding. It's not bad for a bedroom rockstar though, I guess.

Maybe you're just itching for some new gear, but I'd really suggest you experiment with the tubes in AD30 first to tweak the sound. Different tubes can give you completely different gain characteristics and really alter your sound. Start with swapping out the 12AX7's.
-Electrical Guitar Company "Buzzo" Double-Cut, Solid Aluminum, Gold Anodized.
-Gronlund Newcomb Custom aluminum hollow-body guitar.
-Matchless Phoenix 35 w/ Matchless 4x10 Cabinet

ScumBum

Post by ScumBum » Sat Jul 06, 2013 3:51 pm

0000 wrote:Honestly... ditching your AD30 for a OR15 is quite the downgrade in amps. I've owned the AD30 (twin channel) and have played the OR15, and although it has more gain, it just lacks the balls and beef of the larger wattage amps. In comparison, it was thinner, more hissy and empty sounding. It's not bad for a bedroom rockstar though, I guess.

Thats kind of the feeling I was starting to get after watching multiple youtube videos . The main thing I was hearing is it was sounding thinner and smaller , whereas my AD30 sounds huge and phat .

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Sat Jul 06, 2013 9:04 pm

I wouldn't recommend the OR15 to you either. I believe you'd be happier with a RV50, TH30 or TV50.
The thing is that most of the music you listed are higher gain and tighter than what your AD30 can offer. It may be that with treble boosting OD pedal, you may get close to what you need with your AD30. But otherwise, I'd recommend any of the 3 listed above - imo, RV50 1st, TH30 2nd, TV50 3rd.

Can you get to try them at all? Are you in a rush?
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

ScumBum

Post by ScumBum » Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:49 pm

Les Paul Lover wrote:I wouldn't recommend the OR15 to you either. I believe you'd be happier with a RV50, TH30 or TV50.
The thing is that most of the music you listed are higher gain and tighter than what your AD30 can offer. It may be that with treble boosting OD pedal, you may get close to what you need with your AD30. But otherwise, I'd recommend any of the 3 listed above - imo, RV50 1st, TH30 2nd, TV50 3rd.

Can you get to try them at all? Are you in a rush?

If I could get the AD30 dialed in with a pedal that would be great .

I have a couple distortion pedals but don't know how to set them up properly to do the "treble boosting OD" thing .

Usually I have never cared for the sound of a distortion pedal and have only used an amp for distortion . Not sure if these would work , but I have a "Korg Tone Works 104ds Hyper Distortion" and a "Boss DS-1" .

If one of those pedals would work , do you have any tips on setting it up ? I've tried in the past and could never get the distortion pedal and amp mixed together to sound right .

Orange Hero

Post by 0000 » Sun Jul 07, 2013 1:49 pm

I assume if you've owned your amp that long that you've changed tubes in it a few times already, correct? Have you experimented with different types of give different gain characteristics? Using a tube known for early breakup and higher gain may be all you really need, and not pedals.

http://www.tubesandmore.com/tech_corner ... made_tubes" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.thetubestore.com/Resources/P ... ube-Review" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
-Electrical Guitar Company "Buzzo" Double-Cut, Solid Aluminum, Gold Anodized.
-Gronlund Newcomb Custom aluminum hollow-body guitar.
-Matchless Phoenix 35 w/ Matchless 4x10 Cabinet