Rocker 30 combo vs Rockerverb 100 Mk II

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

enricoromanielo
Rocker

Post by enricoromanielo » Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:15 pm

Hey guys, my first post! Hope you can help me out.

I just traded my Mesa Boogie TA-15 for another guitar, and now I am shopping for a new tube amp. I've already played the Orange Rockerverb 50 and the AD30, and loved both of them.

The thing is, I have found a great deal on a used Rocker 30 combo that is really hard to pass. I was on the verge of pulling the trigger on this, but then I also found a (not so great) deal on a Rockerverb 100 MK II.

I live in Brazil, and guitar shops down here don't usually stock Orange high end amps, so I won't be able to try neither of them out. I was wondering if the Rockerverb 100 is worth the extra buck...

I play a Gibson Les Paul Traditional and a Gibson Firebird. This is my pedalboard (not in this order): Catalinbread Galileo (cranked Vox AC 30 in a box - it nails the Brian May tone), Suhr Riot, Catalinbread RAH, MXR Talk Box, MXR Carbon Copy, Wampler Decibel +, Fulltone Fat Boost, MXR EVH Phase 90, MXR Micro Chorus and a Dunlop Cry Baby.

I play mainly classic rock and hard rock. Think of Led Zeppelin, ACDC, Hendrix, Queen, The Who, Creedence, Black Sabbath, Guns N Roses, Foo Fighters, ZZ Top, Black Crowes, Rolling Stones, Faith No More etc.

Also, I don't need the extra wattage for now. So, micing the amp is not a deal breaker if I start playing at bigger venues.

So, I guess it all comes down to tone and whether one amp would take pedals better than the other.

Any thoughts??

Thanks!

Boy_Narf
Orange Master

Re: Rocker 30 combo vs Rockerverb 100 Mk II

Post by Boy_Narf » Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:42 am

If it were me?

Rocker 30 no question. I retired my RV100 earlier this year. I will never get anything close to what I paid for it so it's sitting in the closet for now. I find the R30 superior in every aspect (less bass of course, but that is what bass players are for).

The only issue you might have is the lack of clean head room, but there are topics that teach you how to deal with that.

msmith4432
Orange Master

Post by msmith4432 » Fri Jun 07, 2013 2:27 am

Personally I stay away from 100 watt amps, so I would say the rocker 30, even though I have the rv50 I don't think it would be worth the extra money and you have 100 watts instead of 30 which is much more manageable in most cases
Mesa boogie Stiletto ace
OR 50 40th anniversary
Orange CS50
Orange 2x12 ppc
Mesa Boogie wide body 1x12
Gibson Les Paul custom black beauty(maple Fretboard)
Gibson Les Paul custom 58 vos
Gibson les Paul custom 57 vos

TESLA_EL34
Orange Master

Post by TESLA_EL34 » Fri Jun 07, 2013 3:18 am

Boy_Narf wrote:If it were me?

Rocker 30 no question. I retired my RV100 earlier this year. I will never get anything close to what I paid for it so it's sitting in the closet for now. I find the R30 superior in every aspect (less bass of course, but that is what bass players are for).

The only issue you might have is the lack of clean head room, but there are topics that teach you how to deal with that.
why do you think its superior?
accept darkness.

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Fri Jun 07, 2013 5:49 am

My main worry would be how it takes pedals.

Both are great amps, I personnaly prefer the RV50/100 to the R30.

Not too sure how your delay, chorus and phaser would sound with the rocker 30 beside the clean channel.

As for tone, both amps can do exactly what you want. The RV amp sounds a bit more modern, and are more compressed, smoother, the R30 is quite raw sounding, old school and very uncompressed.

Not the comparison you want, but my delay and tremolo sound fantastic through my RV50, but through my AD15 I have to be more careful about how I use it and keep it cleanish. The RV50 make them sound best because of the FX loop.
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

Orange Hero

Post by 0000 » Fri Jun 07, 2013 3:05 pm

I found my Rocker 30 really did not take pedals that well at all. All I use is a basic Fuzz and Reverb pedal, and both made the amp really thin, brittle and harsh sounding. My AD30 however took the pedals really well and stayed warm, fat and rich sounding. I found the Rocker to be a one-trick-pony. The kind of amp you plug straight into and play.

I've never played the Rockerverb 100, but with it having a higher wattage and more clean headroom, I feel it would take pedals much better.
-Electrical Guitar Company "Buzzo" Double-Cut, Solid Aluminum, Gold Anodized.
-Gronlund Newcomb Custom aluminum hollow-body guitar.
-Matchless Phoenix 35 w/ Matchless 4x10 Cabinet

Ronnie Robinson
Orange Master

Post by Ronnie Robinson » Fri Jun 07, 2013 4:39 pm

If you want to use the modulation effects with the dirty channel or need a higher volume for solos I would go with the RV

The R30 is a great Amp but the Chorus reverb etc will not sound sound good on the dirty channel. They MAY sound good on the natural channel but Ive found the R30 to be quite choosey about pedals and getting extra volume for solos can be a problem...I struggled with this for a couple of years and ended up getting an AD30htc.

If your not a plug in and play guy (and your pedal board indicates your not as your spent a small fortune on pedals) I'd say the RV.

Also the dirty channel on the R30 is very loud ...so if you chose the R30 you wouldnt really need to compromise with volume but the natural channel is much quieter although it does sound very good fully wound up
Orange AD30 HTC
Orange Rocker 15 terror
Orange Tiny Terror HW,
Fender elite Start, Gibson SG 61,fender telecaster

Previously Owned - Rocker 30

Randy Bass
Lord of Orange

Post by Randy Bass » Sat Jun 08, 2013 1:07 am

Based on your stated requirements, the RV100 would be the best choice in my opinion. I do like my Rocker 30, mostly for plugging straight in and playing / writing original material. I find it to be less useful for cover songs because it is so dynamic and unique sounding. Adding a clean boost does tighten it up a bit though, and it also levels out the volume disparity between channels. I'd consider the RV100 to be the more flexible and more "traditional" sounding amp.

DiabloS
Orange Master

Post by DiabloS » Sat Jun 08, 2013 1:46 am

I personally prefer the Rocker 30 as a plug straight in amp on the dirty channel, but if taking pedals is a big concern I agree with the majority that the RV100 would do better in that aspect. The FX loop, plus the extra headroom on the amp's clean channel would be bonuses. Some like the natural channel on a Rocker 30 for pedals... myself included for low volume. I didn't really care for pedals through it at gig volume if you're going for cleaner tones with delay, etc.

Price might also a big consideration here... a Rocker 30 at a good deal can probably be sold later on for about the same price if need be. An RV100 at a not so great deal might be overkill on wattage and you might take a bigger financial hit trying to sell it later on.

If you're mostly a play-at-home/casual jammer kinda guy, I'd probably go for the Rocker 30 first and test it out to see if it's adequate. It's still a great amp to gig with for the majority of people. If not, sell it and maybe keep an eye out for RV50's at a good price. Just my 2 cents, but good luck! Either choice will get you a great amp, just weigh the pros and cons!
DOWNLOAD THE DIABLO STRANGE EP FOR FREE HERE -> http://diablostrange.bandcamp.com

Currently own:
Dual Terror
Micro Terror
PPC212OB

Used to own:
Thunderverb 50
Rocker 30
Tiny Terror

enricoromanielo
Rocker

Post by enricoromanielo » Sun Jun 09, 2013 10:31 pm

Thanks a lot guys!!

Actually, I think I am going to pull the trigger on the Rocker 30... the rv100 is just too much right now. I dont actually use all the modulation and delay very often, and when I do, i use on the clean channel. All in all, if I am not satified (which I highly doubt, for all the videos I've seen and for what I've read here), I can always try to trade for something else.

Marshall Vintage Modern 2266c
Rocker 30
Reeves Custom 10HG
Orange PPC212 OB
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Fender Telecaster JA90
A few pedals

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Post by a.hun » Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:46 pm

Welcome enricoromanielo.

Good choice IMO. Doubt you'll be disappointed! :D

Andy.
aNDyH. :wink:

Ever tried to outstare a mirror?

In the bathtub of history the truth is harder to hold than the soap, and much more difficult to find!

enricoromanielo
Rocker

Post by enricoromanielo » Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:42 pm

Thanks Andy!

I think I am going to get it this weekend. I´ll post my impressions once I get it.

Cheers

Rocker 30
Reeves Custom 10HG
Orange PPC212 OB
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Fender Telecaster JA90
A few pedals

enricoromanielo
Rocker

Post by enricoromanielo » Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:51 pm

So, I got the Rocker 30 (head with PPC212 open back - was able to find an even better deal than the combo!) and spent some time playing. All I have to say is OMG, this amp rocks!!!!!!! Could not be happier with my choice! Fat and juicy dirt, perfect for the styles I pay. The clean is also very nice, despite the absence of EQ. My Les Paul Traditional sounded very nice!

Can't wait to take this to rehearsal and crank the f*** out of it!!

Thanks everyone for the help!!

Cheers

Rocker 30
Reeves Custom 10HG
Orange PPC212 OB
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Fender Telecaster JA90
A few pedals

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Post by a.hun » Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:17 am

Great to hear. Yeah with the 2x12 that should be plenty for most gigs. Just mind your ears... :D

Andy.
aNDyH. :wink:

Ever tried to outstare a mirror?

In the bathtub of history the truth is harder to hold than the soap, and much more difficult to find!

enricoromanielo
Rocker

Post by enricoromanielo » Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:21 am

a.hun wrote:Great to hear. Yeah with the 2x12 that should be plenty for most gigs. Just mind your ears... :D

Andy.
Yeah... Just got the first complaint from my neighbors...

Rocker 30
Reeves Custom 10HG
Orange PPC212 OB
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Fender Telecaster JA90
A few pedals