What's on you pedalboard and what do you use it for?

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Thinline_slim
Orange Master

Post by Thinline_slim » Tue May 21, 2013 1:41 pm

Guitar-Sam wrote:I thouht we were sposed to explain what we use each effect for.So what does the second bad monkey from the left in the second row do????? :mrgreen: :wink:
Great question! Trying to isolate a single Bad Monkey in the chain doesn't really work. They're magic really is in the full signal chain. Each Bad Monkey humps the mids of it's predecessor and you end up with an exponential effect. The end result is a +42 db boost at 716.42 Hz and a complete cut at all other frequencies.

By the way, the magic number is 12 Bad Monkeys. 13 is just ridiculous.
Jake
OrangePaul wrote:Ok gitar lead to you Jake :D
"One of the 400"

http://www.purevolume.com/JakeMcallasterBand/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Invin
Orange Hero

Re: What's on you pedalboard and what do you use it for?

Post by Invin » Mon May 27, 2013 2:05 pm

The Dispatch Master has been added, and I really dig it! I'm having so much fun :D I've always wanted one subtle reverb and one to just go bonkers with that I can kick on for crazy ambiance.

TH 30
Eminence Wizard & Governor 2x12
ESP Eclipse II JB/'59, Charvel San Dimas Style 2 JB/'59
Tomkat Bender, TU-2, Crybaby Mini, Palisades, Xotic RC, Euphoria, MVP, Sentry, Blue Sky, Grand Orbiter V2, Timeline, Alter Ego, Dispatch Master, Ditto X2

Bensen
Orange Master

Post by Bensen » Thu May 30, 2013 12:30 pm

While that's the two-piece board:
Bensen wrote: - Fuzzfactory is for gated, punchy, nasty fuzz.
- Behringer Overdrive is for fat, bassy fuzz.
- Marshall Delay is to split the signal to two amps and give it a big echo with some tapee like modulation.
- DD7 is for slapback or solodelays.
This is the pop-band board:

I've been enjoying the dynacomp a lot lately. It sits first in the chain, evens everything out, makes the guitar fatter and is left on almost all of the time. In combination with the vol-pedal I can place my guitar in the mix perfectly between keys and acoustic.
Also the Polyoctaver is very cool. It's basically a micro-pog + reverb and chorus. I use it as a rev + some upper octave shimmer and a little modulation.
The rest is pretty standard - Distortron for some drive, RAT for more drive, Tremolo and two cascading delays for lots of ambience and volume swells.

enricoromanielo
Rocker

Post by enricoromanielo » Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:44 am

TC Electronic Polytune
Cry Baby Wah
MXR Talk Box (fun during some solos)
MXR Carbon Copy
MXR EVH Phase 90
MXR Micro Chorus
Catalinbread Galileo (cranked up AC30 - Brian May!!!)
Suhr Riot (high gain stuff)
Catalinbread RAH (classic rock)
Fulltone Fat Boost (boost for solos - makes the tone nice and fat)
Wampler Decibel + (use it with the gain knob at zero, just as a buffer)

Marshall Vintage Modern 2266c
Rocker 30
Reeves Custom 10HG
Orange PPC212 OB
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Fender Telecaster JA90
A few pedals

Thinline_slim
Orange Master

Post by Thinline_slim » Wed Jun 12, 2013 2:42 pm

enricoromanielo wrote:TC Electronic Polytune
Cry Baby Wah
MXR Carbon Copy
MXR EVH Phase 90
MXR Micro Chorus
How comparable is the Suhr Riot and the RAH? I've been curious about the RAH but I've got enough dirt pedals that it would have to be something pretty special for me to pick it up.

... and where's the pic? :wink:
Jake
"One of the 400"

http://www.purevolume.com/JakeMcallasterBand/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

enricoromanielo
Rocker

Post by enricoromanielo » Wed Jun 12, 2013 5:20 pm

Thinline_slim wrote:
Cry Baby Wah
MXR Carbon Copy
MXR EVH Phase 90
MXR Micro Chorus
How comparable is the Suhr Riot and the RAH? I've been curious about the RAH but I've got enough dirt pedals that it would have to be something pretty special for me to pick it up.

They are very different beasts... The Riot is high gain. Personally, I use it for Guns N Roses, Metallica, Ozzy and for some lead. I used to have a Wampler Plextortion to cover this field, but I much prefer the Riot... Sounds more organic and natural.

The RAH is a medium gain pedal, with more of a vintage sound. I use it for Zeppelin, ACDC, Creedence (even Sabbath). Very sensitive - even at max gain, just turn your guitar volume down and it cleans up really nice. Not as much gain as the Catalinbread WIIO (amazing pedal), though.

I really like Catalinbread . The RAH is very good, but the one that has most impressed me was the Galileo.

Pics coming soon! I´ll try to record a demo of the pedalboard as well. As soon as I do it, I´ll post it here.

Rocker 30
Reeves Custom 10HG
Orange PPC212 OB
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Fender Telecaster JA90
A few pedals

Thinline_slim
Orange Master

Post by Thinline_slim » Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:45 pm

enricoromanielo wrote:They are very different beasts... The Riot is high gain. Personally, I use it for Guns N Roses, Metallica, Ozzy and for some lead. I used to have a Wampler Plextortion to cover this field, but I much prefer the Riot... Sounds more organic and natural.

The RAH is a medium gain pedal, with more of a vintage sound. I use it for Zeppelin, ACDC, Creedence (even Sabbath). Very sensitive - even at max gain, just turn your guitar volume down and it cleans up really nice. Not as much gain as the Catalinbread WIIO (amazing pedal), though.

I really like Catalinbread . The RAH is very good, but the one that has most impressed me was the Galileo.

Pics coming soon! I´ll try to record a demo of the pedalboard as well. As soon as I do it, I´ll post it here.
Right on man, thanks for the info. I guess between my Super Crunch Box, Barber Gain Changer and OCD I would cover most of the RAH. The Riot is a great pedal too. I've been very happy with it to get more 80s-90s-00s type more modern gain than what my OR50 does.
Jake
"One of the 400"

enricoromanielo
Rocker

Post by enricoromanielo » Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:54 pm

Thinline_slim wrote:
enricoromanielo wrote:They are very different beasts... The Riot is high gain. Personally, I use it for Guns N Roses, Metallica, Ozzy and for some lead. I used to have a Wampler Plextortion to cover this field, but I much prefer the Riot... Sounds more organic and natural.

Right on man, thanks for the info. I guess between my Super Crunch Box, Barber Gain Changer and OCD I would cover most of the RAH. The Riot is a great pedal too. I've been very happy with it to get more 80s-90s-00s type more modern gain than what my OR50 does.
Nice! I am going to get a Rocker 30 head tomorrow... Hope it accepts the Riot... Killer pedal! Cheers

Rocker 30
Reeves Custom 10HG
Orange PPC212 OB
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Fender Telecaster JA90
A few pedals

Stringjunkie
Tiny Terror

Post by Stringjunkie » Thu Jun 13, 2013 1:33 am

Out front is a TU3>modded SD1>ISP decimator>amp. In the loop is an MXR KK10 band Eq> TC nova delay. I have a few other pedals but these are a constant from amp to amp.

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Post by a.hun » Thu Jun 13, 2013 2:34 pm

enricoromanielo wrote:Nice! I am going to get a Rocker 30 head tomorrow... Hope it accepts the Riot... Killer pedal! Cheers
If it doesn't just don't use that pedal with it! Amp does more than passable distortion all on it's own! :lol:

Enjoy, and let us know how you like it.

Andy.
aNDyH. :wink:

Ever tried to outstare a mirror?

In the bathtub of history the truth is harder to hold than the soap, and much more difficult to find!

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Thu Jun 13, 2013 8:56 pm

I should never have started that thread.
I thank you all for all your very enjoyable posts, I have read and enjoyed them all.

Only problem is that I've since bought a delay, a hopefully very nice fuzz, and still have my eyes out for a couple more...... And lava cabling...... :oops:
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

ZombicidalMan

Post by ZombicidalMan » Fri Jun 14, 2013 12:34 am

Running all of these through my lil' Tiny Terror...

Cathedral Reverb - use this one for everything, lots of post-rock sounds (like Godspeed and Mogwai), and some cool echo stuff
Memory Man with Hazarai - great delay pedal, super touchy though, almost always pair it with the Cathedral. Mostly subtle delay, and sometimes I use it to loop
DD-3 - when I want another delay sound I pop this on
Big Muff Pi Germanium 4 OD - use the OD side as a clean boost, Muff side for really muddy, Black Keys-style stuff. The volt control is awesome, totally makes this pedal worth having. Also the TT takes this Muff version way better than others I think
Earthquaker White Light - just picked this bad boy up, use it for a soft crunch or full on heavy OD. Since the TT's single channel, I use this like a second channel. Very transparent, sounds awesome with single coils and humbuckers. Can't recommend it enough actually.
Phase 90 - use this for a nice effect sometimes, more Pink Floyd than Van Halen
TR-2 Tremolo - when I gotta get my surf rock on
Ernie Ball Volume Pedal - fun to do swells and fade ins

Also have a ISP Decimator (just in case it gets too noisy), a Boss SD-1 (but it's rubbish except on like one setting), and a Boss HM-2 (same complaint, at least it's collectible :) ). Favourite is a toss up between the White Light and the Cathedral. No sound clips as of yet, and no pics either but if I stay on the forums they'll be uploaded at some point. Cheers guys.

Also, selling one of my guitars, so may pick up a new pedal with some of the cash. What's a really cool pedal? I've been digging the Crystal Dagger from Blackout Effectors, but I think it's still out of range...

Roboten

Post by Roboten » Fri Jun 14, 2013 8:34 am

Strymon Mobius -> Timmy -> Way Huge Green Rhino -> Mobius Again -> Strymon Timeline -> Mad Professor Reverb -> Empress ParaEQ -> Zvex Super Hard-on 2 in 1 -> TC Electronics Polytune -> Either AD30 or Rocker 30

Mobius for all my modualtion needs, which I use as a buffer also, Timeline for all delay needs. I put Timmy and Green Rhino in the Mobius loop so I can assign pre/post distortion for all modulation. Timmy for fat od/boost, Green Rhino for a middier od/boost. Put the polytune last so I can mute everything with one pedal. Put the zvex booster second to last so it wont overdriver any other pedal, it's a very hard hitting booster.
We should give sharks the keys to our cities, and all the money we give our teachers.

enricoromanielo
Rocker

Post by enricoromanielo » Sun Jun 16, 2013 3:43 pm

Thinline_slim wrote:
Cry Baby Wah
MXR Carbon Copy
MXR EVH Phase 90
MXR Micro Chorus

Well, here is a pic of it currently. Changed the board a little due to the Rocker 30! Cheers

Rocker 30
Reeves Custom 10HG
Orange PPC212 OB
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Fender Telecaster JA90
A few pedals