Rocker 30 gain

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Roboten

Rocker 30 gain

Post by Roboten » Wed May 22, 2013 6:28 pm

Hi, I recently purchased a used rocker 30 combo, and while I'm really digging the tone there are some questions I want answered regarding the gain. See, from the clips on youtube et al it would seem like it's capable of getting a really saturated dirty tone, and for me, with the gain maxed out, it really doesn't sound much more saturated than my AD30 combo. Kind of like a boosted AD30. Is it supposed to sound this way? I'm not disappointed if that's the case, that's the level of gain I usually use, but if it's cab or tube issue I would like to get that fixed. Since it's a single open v30 combo of course I wont get the same tone as from a 412 cab, but the difference in tone seems to be more than just that. It's a pretty old one, so I'm thinking it might be a preamp issue since I get some noise from the amp when I'm not playing. The power tubes are new so I don't think they're the problem.

Tl;dr is the rocker 30 combe gain wise supposed to sound like a boosted ad30?
We should give sharks the keys to our cities, and all the money we give our teachers.

Surgeon
Tiny Terror

Re: Rocker 30 gain

Post by Surgeon » Wed May 22, 2013 6:40 pm

Mine (head version) can get quite saturated. However, you do have to crank the gain quite high.

From you quick description I'd be tempted to say try new pre-amp tubes and see if that improves things. Maybe you've got a 12at7 in there (who knows), which could bring the gain factor down a bit too...

Roboten

Post by Roboten » Wed May 22, 2013 8:39 pm

I just checked, all of the preamp tubes are 12ax7's. I'll just have to replace them and see if that makes a difference. I have some preamp noise in both channels, which would suggest this being a problem with the V1 right? Do you know which one is the V1?
We should give sharks the keys to our cities, and all the money we give our teachers.

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Post by a.hun » Wed May 22, 2013 9:38 pm

Hi Roboten.

V1, as with almost all amps is the one nearest the input. Doesn't have to be V1 causing problems of course, but may be. The two halves of V1 run the Natural channel's only gain stage plus the 1st gain stage of the Dirty channel. V2 has the 2nd and 3rd Dirty gain stages. V3 is the phase inverter feeding signals from both channels to the power amp.

Most likely V1 or V2. Try swapping them one at a time so you can actually find the duff valve (if it is a valve problem). There should be a fairly high amount of gain available, with a noticeable 3rd stage cutting in from about 13:30 or so on that channels gain control after which things get pretty raunchy. We aren't talking similar to AD30 gain levels at all...

Andy.
aNDyH. :wink:

Ever tried to outstare a mirror?

In the bathtub of history the truth is harder to hold than the soap, and much more difficult to find!

Jabberwocky
Orange Expert

Post by Jabberwocky » Thu May 23, 2013 2:25 pm

+1 on checking out the pre amp tubes. I also use the R30 head and there is plenty of gain on tap, so much so I almost never use it cranked as it is just over the top for my taste. I get a well saturated gain at about 1 to 2 o'clock. Much beyond that is too much for what I need, although fun from time to time :twisted: .
Fender USA Standard Stratocaster
Gordon Smith Galaxy
Gibson Les Paul Classic
Faith Jupiter Jumbo Acoustic
Orange Rocker 30 HD
Orange Micro Terror
Orange PPC 212 OB
Lead
Plectrum
Attitude
Sorted!

Roboten

Post by Roboten » Thu May 23, 2013 7:31 pm

Got a new 12ax7, put it in the V1, instant saturation, problem solved :D

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Thu May 23, 2013 8:24 pm

Great news!!!

You might want to consider replacing the other valves too. If a preamp valve was gone, either through overuse or transit, imagine what the rest of them might be like! And your could just still get better too.
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

Roboten

Post by Roboten » Thu May 23, 2013 8:43 pm

Yeah I know, I'll see if I can get a hold on a couple of them cheap, though I did try the new one in all positions and V1 is where it made the biggest difference. But it's strange, I've always thought an old preamp tube would sound dull and lifeless, not so with this one, it sounded pretty great, very clear, only with a lot less gain.

rozman62

Post by rozman62 » Fri May 24, 2013 4:25 pm

The gain sweet spot on my R30 head is between 12-2 o'clock. There is a pretty big crunch difference between the 2 settings. I tend to set the gain higher when I use my strat's and trim back when using humbucker guitars. The head either sits on a PPC 112 or a Mesa 2x12 cab. Gain settings above 2 o'clock is too saturated. I have JJ glass end to end. I also use Marshall amps and the Rocker goes where the Marshall's can't but that's another thread in itself. I find gain and EQ on this amp pretty touch sensitive.

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Post by Jondog » Fri May 24, 2013 4:51 pm

The Rocker really sounds different with pickups. I've owned amps where going from a humbucker to a single coil voices differently but the gain stays the same. When I go from a single coil to a humbucker on the rocker, it's like Ive turned the dial up on gain.