Question about TT

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

nedcronin
Rocker

Question about TT

Post by nedcronin » Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:29 am

Hi guys, hope everyone is doing great. I saw a thread on TGP about running a Matchless from the 8 ohm tap into a 16 ohm cab. The thread went on to say that this will yield a fuller tone, and that any 2 x EL84 amp is ideally suited to run at 8 ohms. I don't know if this is true or not.
But it got me thinking. I have an Orange TT and the only thing I don't like about it is that it lacks low end grunt. So I'm wondering if I run this amp through the 8 ohm jack into a 16 ohm 1x12 greenback cab, will it deliver a fuller bottom? Also, will it harm the amp at all? TT has transformers in it that are almost as big as a modern Marshall 50 watter, so I assume it won't hurt it but I wanted to check with you guys.

RickenBangler
Orange Hero

Re: Question about TT

Post by RickenBangler » Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:14 am

You should always match your amp/cab ohmage - there's plenty on this forum as to why. Mis-matching is potentially damaging to your amp and the 'fuller bottom end' deal sounds like snake oil to me...

I too had a TT and like you, did miss a bit of grunt in the lower registers. Adding a further cab helped but it's really just the nature of the beast. I tend to leave the botty grunt department for the bass - everything in its own space...
CR60C+PPC112 Mini Stack
Rickenbacker 620/6 JetGlo | G&L Fallout | Fender P-Bass
MarkBass Micromark 801
Past Orange Relationships Micro Crush | Crush CR35LDX | Tiny Terror | OR15/PPC112

The Provocateurs Bandcamp

Thinline_slim
Orange Master

Post by Thinline_slim » Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:50 pm

nedcronin wrote:The thread went on to say that this will yield a fuller tone, and that any 2 x EL84 amp is ideally suited to run at 8 ohms.
Anytime someone makes a sweeping generalization like this I usually question the source. I personally wouldn't do it.

If you want to strengthen the bass you might look at 1. getting a bigger cabinet, like a 2x12 or 4x12 or 2. changing the speaker you have now. I've found Celestions to have a little more mid range and high end than Eminence. But at the end of the day the TT just might not be the amp for you. As a general rule, to get more bass typically you need more watts.
Last edited by Thinline_slim on Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jake
OrangePaul wrote:Ok gitar lead to you Jake :D
"One of the 400"

http://www.purevolume.com/JakeMcallasterBand/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Post by Jondog » Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:55 pm

Never heard of it helping an amp. There are much better safer consistent reliable ways to get lower frequency response. A cheap way is to try different cap values.

nedcronin
Rocker

Post by nedcronin » Fri Apr 26, 2013 4:33 pm

Hey thanks for the replies. Do you have any idea which caps and what values? I'd like to do something to get some more low end out of this amp, it's really the only thing I don't like about it and if I could get that I would be so psyched!

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Post by Jondog » Sat Apr 27, 2013 1:17 pm

You need some knowledge on working with amps and soldering skills as a first (in case you don't).Some of it just experimenting. You'd probably like how the fat channel sounds on the dual terror so if you could find info on that, change it to those values, or, buy a dual terror :D

nedcronin
Rocker

Post by nedcronin » Sat Apr 27, 2013 2:50 pm

Thanks Jondog. I would take it to a tech, not try it myself. Hadn't thought about using that Fat channel as a reference, that's a great place to start. I appreciate the advice. I have a local guy who is an amp tech and has some Orange amps in stock. If he has a DT I'll be in good shape.

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Post by Jondog » Sat Apr 27, 2013 4:38 pm

nedcronin wrote:Thanks Jondog. I would take it to a tech, not try it myself. Hadn't thought about using that Fat channel as a reference, that's a great place to start. I appreciate the advice. I have a local guy who is an amp tech and has some Orange amps in stock. If he has a DT I'll be in good shape.
When I had a Dual Terror, the fat channel was my main channel. It's voiced not all that different from my Rocker when I A/B'd them. Different circuit from the Rocker though so me telling you what values my rocker has wont help much.

nedcronin
Rocker

Post by nedcronin » Sat Apr 27, 2013 4:58 pm

Well I have this TT loaded up with NOS glass and it sounds really great, except it needs a shade more low end grunt. I keep the tone control down at around 9 o'clock so if the Fat channel is darker I have plenty of room on the dial to brighten it up. I am not a real high gain player so I keep the gain at about 10 o'clock and hit it with a Catalinbread SFT for more drive if needed. Other OD's don't seem to work as well with this amp, but this one nails it for me. Sounds like sticky fingers era stones.

jason41224
Orange Master

Post by jason41224 » Sat Apr 27, 2013 8:32 pm

Thinline_slim wrote:
nedcronin wrote:The thread went on to say that this will yield a fuller tone, and that any 2 x EL84 amp is ideally suited to run at 8 ohms.
Anytime someone makes a sweeping generalization like this I usually question the source.
seriously. especially at TGP.
Jason
Rocker 30
too many pedals

DiabloS
Orange Master

Post by DiabloS » Sun Apr 28, 2013 2:37 am

Jondog wrote:
nedcronin wrote:Thanks Jondog. I would take it to a tech, not try it myself. Hadn't thought about using that Fat channel as a reference, that's a great place to start. I appreciate the advice. I have a local guy who is an amp tech and has some Orange amps in stock. If he has a DT I'll be in good shape.
When I had a Dual Terror, the fat channel was my main channel. It's voiced not all that different from my Rocker when I A/B'd them. Different circuit from the Rocker though so me telling you what values my rocker has wont help much.
Agreed, the Fat channel on the Dual Terror at 30 watts sounds way beefier than a TT but still retains the same sort of chime that a lot of other Orange amps lack(if that's what you're after). The Fat channel on a DT kinda sounds like a cross between a TT and a Rocker 30 to me, not quite as beefy as a Rocker 30 but a bigger sounding than a TT and can still get relatively bright/classic sounding.

I'd probably just find a DT to try before modding your TT depending on how much effort/cost the mod would be, having 2 channels gives you way more versatility too.

The other mention of a speaker change is another option too... after your amp, I personally think speaker choice is the next biggest factor in your overall tone. I'd also agree on Eminence speakers being a worthy alternative to Celestion, I prefer them myself but everyone has different needs. I find my Eminence speakers in general to be bit more crisp/less fizzy sounding with more bass and less upper mids than Celestion V30's for example. They are darker in a way, but sharper at the same time due to their stiffer response so they still cut through nicely. The Eminence Private Jack or Wizard would be good starting points if you want to look into that side of things.

As far as ohms, as mentioned... I'd stick with what's recommended to be on the safe side.
DOWNLOAD THE DIABLO STRANGE EP FOR FREE HERE -> http://diablostrange.bandcamp.com

Currently own:
Dual Terror
Micro Terror
PPC212OB

Used to own:
Thunderverb 50
Rocker 30
Tiny Terror

nedcronin
Rocker

Post by nedcronin » Sun Apr 28, 2013 3:07 am

I'm pretty sure this tech can voice this amp like the Fat channel for pretty cheap. I use Emi Texas Heats in a Twin Reverb so I agree with your thoughts on the Emi voicing. I pretty much use a 68 Super Reverb or the Twin most of the time. The TT is just for that classic tone I really can only get from a British amp, and I think the TT is just incredible pushing a single GB for that woody tone. I have it pretty much right where I want it, so if he can give me a little more bass I will be so psyched. I also may try an oversized closed back cab with the greenback too if it comes to that. Thanks for all the advice I appreciate it guys.

DiabloS
Orange Master

Post by DiabloS » Sun Apr 28, 2013 3:17 am

nedcronin wrote:I'm pretty sure this tech can voice this amp like the Fat channel for pretty cheap. I use Emi Texas Heats in a Twin Reverb so I agree with your thoughts on the Emi voicing. I pretty much use a 68 Super Reverb or the Twin most of the time. The TT is just for that classic tone I really can only get from a British amp, and I think the TT is just incredible pushing a single GB for that woody tone. I have it pretty much right where I want it, so if he can give me a little more bass I will be so psyched. I also may try an oversized closed back cab with the greenback too if it comes to that. Thanks for all the advice I appreciate it guys.
Nice, well if you use Emi Texas Heats then yep, you'd know EXACTLY what I'm talking about! The Private Jack is the Emi equivalent to the greenback, I have one of those in a cab mixed with a Texas Heat. Sounds like you've got some good options there, good luck!
DOWNLOAD THE DIABLO STRANGE EP FOR FREE HERE -> http://diablostrange.bandcamp.com

Currently own:
Dual Terror
Micro Terror
PPC212OB

Used to own:
Thunderverb 50
Rocker 30
Tiny Terror

nlimbaugh
Orange Master

Post by nlimbaugh » Sun Apr 28, 2013 4:02 am

For me, the TT eq had to be set deep on the bass end. I ended up messing with the guitar tone knobs as well to get more bass. FWIW, the Weber FC12 alnico and my Scumnico were night and day in the low end department. The Scumnico has a huge thunderous low while the other was very weak on the lows (I sold it). Just my two cents with working on my TT sound.