What's on you pedalboard and what do you use it for?

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Woodsie
Orange Expert

Re: What's on you pedalboard and what do you use it for?

Post by Woodsie » Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:16 pm

Tuner and Cantrell way are self explanatory. The only other pedal out front is my ts808HW. I use that to add just a little grit to my clean channel or a mid boost to my OD. In the loop, I have an EP Booster that I use to boost and thicken my Strat, a Boss FB-2 Feedbacker/booster for solo boost or clean boost, MXR 10 band for shaping, MXR Carbon Copy Delay and MXR Smart Gate. Not on the board unless a specific gig calls for it are my Boss Acoustic Simulator and PS-6 Harmonists that I use mainly for pitch shifting. I.e. Lonely Boy or Killing In The Name Of.
==================================================================

Wired
Orange Master

Post by Wired » Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:49 pm

I love this question....all for original music. We are a progressive hard rock band, so there is a lot of ambience being worked into it. Kind of a Jethro Tull meets Tool and Nine inch Nails

Volume:
Ernie Ball Volume Jr - use for swells, or to roll back the volume to clean it up a bit, and for muting my signal when swapping guitars

Tuner:
TC Polytune - for tuning of course. less LED noise than the Boss series tuners, easier to read in daylight

Compressor:
Diamond Compressor - very nice, not too much tone loss, great for tightening up the low end or making tight rhythm beats nice
and snappy

distorion:
Orange Foot Switch - for switching channels on my RV50. I have this as my primary drive, 1:00 on the dial, nice and crispy, but not fuzzy
Xotic RC Booster - hidding in my FX loop as the first pedal. Using it to help boost the signal and keep it going so I don't get volume drops
MXR 6 Band EQ - used as a "Fat Switch" for my distortion tones, just to give me more bottom end when I need it
Crowther Hot Cake - for just slightly overdriven tones. Just that light crunch, probably my lowest gain tone thats not clean. This has been a mainstay on my pedal board for 10 years, most transparent drive I've ever owned or tried.

Effects and toys:
EHX POG 2 - very important part of my tone. When the settings are right this thing is incredible, but when they are wrong...they are wrong. I have three settings I use a lot, first one is kind of like a 12 string effect, so a doubler in a way. The other two are what I call "evil organ" and "more evil organ". Takes my tone, turns it into an Organ, and just makes it sound like Draculla or something... its crazy
Retro Sonic Phaser I use this pedal less and less, but its still fantastic. Like a MXR Phase 90 with a volume and depth control. Used for a bit of swirly
Diamond Tremolo - tappable tremolo with multiple pattern settings, a ramp mode, and a manual mode. I use it all, a very effective pedal that I'm lost without
Dr. Scientist Tremoloessence mki - First generation of the Dr.'s Trem pedal, optical, and very unique. I have it set just right for one song... otherwise the Diamond would have replaced it. Used for a hard sharp pulsation.
Dr. Scienist Cosmichorus mkii - second generation, great for making whale song. Not very useful to me right now. may leave the board in the near future
Line 6 M9 - When you want more effects but just don't got the room or the money. I use this a lot for different filters, pitch shifting.... I have other volume based trem settings.... some reverse delay. neat stuff
Vox V847 Wah - What else do you do with a wah beside...wah stuff? Mines the Union Jack limited edition one, has been on my board longer than the Hot Cake

Delays
Line 6 DL4 - not using it for delay, but for live looping. Take a listen to "Minus the Bear - Drilling" for a good example of what inspired me to get this pedal and loop with it live. I don't do anything as cool as him... yet
Malekko 616 - nice analog delay with a buffer built in. Love the buffer to help with tone loss. The delay is set a bit long.
Maxon AD999 - classic bucket brigade delay, been on my board for countless years and still going strong. Shorter delay setting than the Malekko, but thats not the main reason I still use it... the main reason is how easily it goes into oscillation when you play with the oversized knobs!
Vox Time Machine - I have this set up perfect for layrering with the Dr. Sci trem. I have these two in unision to create a unique effect that kind of sounds like a mechanical machine running. I'ts pretty neat. But I also use it to tap in some other tempos.

I don't think I missed anything.... P.S., 6 songs, each pedal gets used 2-3 times throughout the whole set. Once we finish recording, I'll share with you all and you can tell me if we are overboard?
-LK
RV50, Vox AC30, Gibson LP Trad '14, Gibson ES-335 '04, PRS Cu24 '10, Fender Tele Pro, Gretsch Powerjet

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:20 am

I have the TC Electronics G-System - all self-contained...

but I have a stick-on clock on it so I can time sets and just generally check on the time. Everyone should have one!

jason41224
Orange Master

Post by jason41224 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:07 am

i guess i'll go into signal chain...

1) Visual Sound Compressor: on all the time as a nice boost/tone enhancer. occasionally i'll crank up the compression for a funkier sound. think it's supposed to be a Ross clone. whatever it is, it sounds good.
2) Micro POG-set usually for with dry full, low octave on 75%, high octave on half. usually in combination with distortion or fuzz, but for looping i'll cop a faux bass sound
3) Disaster Area DPC-5--programmable bypass looper for my dirt pedals. i can access all my presets in one stomp

a) Low Gain--JHS Morning Glory, bluesbreaker clone with some added chime. left on basically all the time, makes everything sparkly
b) Medium Gain--JHS 808 into the MG. Might be switching out the 808 for a Klone of some kind, i could do without the bass cut.
c) High Gain--ZVEX Distortron, basically my "Rocker 30 in a box" ;) i know it's supposed to emulate a JTM Marshall, but it works great for Orangeish sounds with the subs on three and the tone below noon. a/bing against my R30 dirty channel, it's VERY close.
d) High Gain--ZVEX into the Morning Glory, works better with single coils than the 3rd preset
e) Fuzz--Black Arts Toneworks Fnord, basically a Muff and Scrambler circuit with a blend knob (labeled Fnord) and a crazy gated sound. goes into the Morning Glory

4) T1M Super Duper Clone...two SHO's in a box. one on all the time as a buffer, the other as a solo boost.
5) EB Volume, Polytune...self explanitory
6) Strymon Timeline--delays...usually either dTape or Digital, but i use the Filter, Trem, Reverse, and Ice settings more than you'd think
7) Strymon BSR--reverb. the preset (favorite switch) is set as a subtle leave-on norm room verb, and the knobs are usually set up to be a more dramatic verb...usually a plate mod, but the room shimmer is pretty cool too. as a 3rd preset, you can nudge any of the knobs while in favorite mode and "alter" that one paramater for your preset. so, if i want my subtle norm room verb to be not so subtle, i can bump the mix knob (which is preset to 9 o'clock) and suddenly the preset temporarily changes the value of that paramater to wherever it's at...like noon, or 2 o'clock, for example.
8 ) Tech 21 British is my backup amp. I run it clean in the right output of the BSR (the left goes to the amp), and send it out either to a PA as a backup amp (or stereo ;) or to a recording system for silent recording. i even hooked it up to my ear buds using an adapter and it worked great as a practice amp! super useful to have, and it actually sounds great and takes drive pedals well.
Jason
Rocker 30
too many pedals

jax510
Rocker

Post by jax510 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:43 am

Dunlop Crybaby- the first one. use it to add coolness to solos, or just to mix up my sound on the fly, slowly rocking it while i play a riff.

EHX micro synth- it just makes an awesome sound, it's like having an octave effect with a tone slider. I use it for added thickness or just a cutting octave sound. Use it on various parts of various songs

Keeley modded sd 1- solo boost, attempted van halen tapping pedal, feedback, glorious noise making.

Boss dd7- mostly to practice with the loop, or if i want to learn a song that has delay in it, i haven't written any songs with much delay but i probably would as soon as i let it go.

mxr eq 6 band. Use it to get a fuzz sound out of channel one on my ad30. used to use it as a solo boost but then got the keeley modded ds 1.

I use an ad30. i am thinking about getting a phaser but that is what i currently use and i am pretty happy with it.

CarbonToe.
Tiny Terror

Post by CarbonToe. » Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:02 pm

I've a massed a decent selection of pedals due to late night drunken eBay marathons!!! :lol:

Board 1 - Main (T-Rex Tone Trunk)
Power: Fuel Tank
Tuner: Boss TU-3
OD/Dist: Fulltone Full-Drive 2 Mosfet and Mad Professor Sweet Honey Overdrive
Fuzz: Voodoo Labs Superfuzz
Chorus: TC Electronic Corona
Tremolo: Diamond Tremolo
Reverb: T-Rex Room-Mate 2
Delay: MXR Carbon Copy
Looper: Boss RC-30

Board 2 - Practice (Pedaltrain Mini)
Tuner: Polytune Mini
OD/Dist: T-Rex Møller 2
Reverb/Tremolo: Strymon Flint
Looper: TC Electronic Ditto Looper

In a drawer:
Wah: DB-01 Crybaby From Hell
Noise Gate: ISP Decimator
OD/Dist: Digitech Bad Monkey Overdrive (Mag Sub Freebie!)

Other pedals I'm gassing for include ......
Pedaltrain Volto (I know its not a pedal!)
Rainger FX Dr. Freakenstein Fuzz (with Igor) :twisted:
MWFX 8-Bit
Eventide H9
Last edited by CarbonToe. on Fri May 31, 2013 2:16 pm, edited 9 times in total.
Gear: Kurt Cobain Jaguar, Kurt Cobain Mustang, American Std Tele ('10 3burst), Gibson Les Paul Std ('97 Honeyburst), Orange OR15, Orange Tiny Terror HW, Vox Night Train NT15H, Marshall JCM-1H, PPC112 Cab & a Marshall Custom Pin-Up

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:23 pm

Thinline_slim wrote:It's all about the mid hump.......

Oh yeah, and being in tune.

I had to hump, er bump, that post to the 2nd page.....
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:23 pm

Thank you so much for all the brilliant answers. I've not had much time lately but there's lots of interesting things you guys are doing with your stuff. Will be back later! :D
Ant

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:35 pm

dbsens03 wrote:
Jondog wrote:Crybaby 535q-wah sounds
BB preamp- boost/drive
Fuzz factory clone-fuzz
EP booster- boost
POG 2- octaves
Strymon Möbius- phase,vibe,tremolo,chorus,flanger, rotary, filters, strangeness
Strymon Timeline-delay
Boss Fender 63 spring reverb-reverb
Tone Jones double looper- double effect loop /amp channel select
Use them for everything they're called for really, mostly experimenting and adding texture. Not prepared to part with my Strymons and POG 2. Love them a lot. If I could improve one it would be to add midi to the POG for switching presets. As I've reached my 30s I've noticed my eyesight going and I can't read what preset the LEDs are on! :(
Have you checked out the new EHX HOG2? You can get an additional food controller for up to 100 presets and it comes with an expression pedal, but from the looks of it, it does a lot of the stuff that the pog series does and a lot more. great for ambience and adding texture.

I''ll need to check out this HOG/POG things. What sort of things do they do?
Ant

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:48 pm

toonHollow wrote:OR15 Front:
MXR CAE MC-404 Wah - Solos or cocked wah.
EHX Small Stone - Anything and everything, from slow drones to fast rate freak outs.
DigiTech Whammy V - General octave awesomeness.
ARC Gamut (fav) - Overdrive/distortion.
BAT Black Forest - Fuzzy overdrive.
BAT Pharaoh - Loud, huge chords.
Korg Pitchblack - Tuning and mute.

OR15 Loop:
Way Huge Supa Puss - Anywhere from spaced out modulated ambience to slapback.
Fuchs Plush Good Verbrations - Reverb.
Ibanez LF7 - Transistor radio filter.

What do you think of that supapuss?? The features ate very tempting.

I really want a delay pretty bad and that one is quite high ony list of wants! Tempted by the carbon copy too, but the lack of tap tempo puts me off somewhat. Is it really essential?

A lot if black arts users too around here....
Ant

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:01 pm

Wired wrote:I love this question....all for original music. We are a progressive hard rock band, so there is a lot of ambience being worked into it. Kind of a Jethro Tull meets Tool and Nine inch Nails

Volume:
Ernie Ball Volume Jr - use for swells, or to roll back the volume to clean it up a bit, and for muting my signal when swapping guitars

Tuner:
TC Polytune - for tuning of course. less LED noise than the Boss series tuners, easier to read in daylight

Compressor:
Diamond Compressor - very nice, not too much tone loss, great for tightening up the low end or making tight rhythm beats nice
and snappy

distorion:
Orange Foot Switch - for switching channels on my RV50. I have this as my primary drive, 1:00 on the dial, nice and crispy, but not fuzzy
Xotic RC Booster - hidding in my FX loop as the first pedal. Using it to help boost the signal and keep it going so I don't get volume drops
MXR 6 Band EQ - used as a "Fat Switch" for my distortion tones, just to give me more bottom end when I need it
Crowther Hot Cake - for just slightly overdriven tones. Just that light crunch, probably my lowest gain tone thats not clean. This has been a mainstay on my pedal board for 10 years, most transparent drive I've ever owned or tried.

Effects and toys:
EHX POG 2 - very important part of my tone. When the settings are right this thing is incredible, but when they are wrong...they are wrong. I have three settings I use a lot, first one is kind of like a 12 string effect, so a doubler in a way. The other two are what I call "evil organ" and "more evil organ". Takes my tone, turns it into an Organ, and just makes it sound like Draculla or something... its crazy
Retro Sonic Phaser I use this pedal less and less, but its still fantastic. Like a MXR Phase 90 with a volume and depth control. Used for a bit of swirly
Diamond Tremolo - tappable tremolo with multiple pattern settings, a ramp mode, and a manual mode. I use it all, a very effective pedal that I'm lost without
Dr. Scientist Tremoloessence mki - First generation of the Dr.'s Trem pedal, optical, and very unique. I have it set just right for one song... otherwise the Diamond would have replaced it. Used for a hard sharp pulsation.
Dr. Scienist Cosmichorus mkii - second generation, great for making whale song. Not very useful to me right now. may leave the board in the near future
Line 6 M9 - When you want more effects but just don't got the room or the money. I use this a lot for different filters, pitch shifting.... I have other volume based trem settings.... some reverse delay. neat stuff
Vox V847 Wah - What else do you do with a wah beside...wah stuff? Mines the Union Jack limited edition one, has been on my board longer than the Hot Cake

Delays
Line 6 DL4 - not using it for delay, but for live looping. Take a listen to "Minus the Bear - Drilling" for a good example of what inspired me to get this pedal and loop with it live. I don't do anything as cool as him... yet
Malekko 616 - nice analog delay with a buffer built in. Love the buffer to help with tone loss. The delay is set a bit long.
Maxon AD999 - classic bucket brigade delay, been on my board for countless years and still going strong. Shorter delay setting than the Malekko, but thats not the main reason I still use it... the main reason is how easily it goes into oscillation when you play with the oversized knobs!
Vox Time Machine - I have this set up perfect for layrering with the Dr. Sci trem. I have these two in unision to create a unique effect that kind of sounds like a mechanical machine running. I'ts pretty neat. But I also use it to tap in some other tempos.

I don't think I missed anything.... P.S., 6 songs, each pedal gets used 2-3 times throughout the whole set. Once we finish recording, I'll share with you all and you can tell me if we are overboard?
Eh, eh 4 delays??? I sure look forward to listen to your recordings!!!

On the delay front, what do you think of the time machine? Another one high on mu want list. I see you don't seem to use tap tempo on your delays?

like your toys and effects section!!! Another POG user I see? Defo need to look what that one does!
Ant

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:03 pm

bclaire wrote:I have the TC Electronics G-System - all self-contained...

but I have a stick-on clock on it so I can time sets and just generally check on the time. Everyone should have one!
How do you feel that multi effect compares to individual quality pedals? It's expensive, but actually quite cheap compared to a few boutique pedals.
Ant

toonHollow

Post by toonHollow » Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:36 pm

Les Paul Lover wrote:
toonHollow wrote:OR15 Front:
MXR CAE MC-404 Wah - Solos or cocked wah.
EHX Small Stone - Anything and everything, from slow drones to fast rate freak outs.
DigiTech Whammy V - General octave awesomeness.
ARC Gamut (fav) - Overdrive/distortion.
BAT Black Forest - Fuzzy overdrive.
BAT Pharaoh - Loud, huge chords.
Korg Pitchblack - Tuning and mute.

OR15 Loop:
Way Huge Supa Puss - Anywhere from spaced out modulated ambience to slapback.
Fuchs Plush Good Verbrations - Reverb.
Ibanez LF7 - Transistor radio filter.

What do you think of that supapuss?? The features ate very tempting.

I really want a delay pretty bad and that one is quite high ony list of wants! Tempted by the carbon copy too, but the lack of tap tempo puts me off somewhat. Is it really essential?

A lot if black arts users too around here....
At first, I hated the Supa Puss, but like most Way Huge pedals (besides the Red Llama perhaps :lol: ) you have to sit down and spend time tweaking everything. Crazy versatile, stunning modulation, spot-on tap tempo (just two taps). If you want just one delay, tap tempo is great because there's a ton of delay time on the Supa Puss (up to 3 seconds!) that you can simply tap in. It really comes down to what you want. Gain knob is kinda useless above 9 o'clock otherwise it oscillates out of control, though everything else works magically.

So yes, the Supa Puss rocks. :D

And Black Arts Toneworks have the best dirt pedals around!

OU818
Orange Master

Post by OU818 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:51 pm

Les Paul Lover wrote:
bclaire wrote:I have the TC Electronics G-System - all self-contained...

How do you feel that multi effect compares to individual quality pedals? It's expensive, but actually quite cheap compared to a few boutique pedals.
I took Billy's advice and got the G-System and have not looked back. The range of effects and quality of the sound is unsurpassed. I love being able to run my favourite fuzz and distortions/overdrives in the loops and program them into song presets so I can just hit a single button and it changes all my effects to what I need.

The range of effects, especially modulation and filters is amazing. Also being able to run two expression pedals gives me total control of all facets of my sound. I used to run a 13 pedal setup but now have it down to two Boss FV-500H expression pedals, 1 fuzz, 1 distortion and the G-System, all kept in a custom road case. Simply plug in the G-System and go.

Adding to this is the G-System editor. I was floored when I opened it and realised how much control I had yet how simple it was to use. Within an hour I had fully programmed 11 songs into it, complete with changes and expression calibrations per preset.

Multi-effect setups may not work for everybody but it is 100% what I was wanting out of a board.

I should add that I use this setup for my band Son of Set (dirty gagrage rock with hints of psychedelic) and another project in which I play a 5 string electric cello and guitar. Between the G-System and my Hiwatt, it handles both instruments perfectly (albeit with a few tweaks to the levels for the cello, but that is all programmed in to its own bank of presets).
Orange Gear:
AD200B MkIII
OBC810

Non-Orange:
Bergantino NXT212
Bergantino Forte D
Woogie Lessie
Laney DBV-410

Basses:
Ernie Ball Stingray 4H
Rickenbacker 4003
Gibson Midtown Signature
Gibson Thunderbird
Gibson Nikki Sixx Thunderbird
Gibson Les Paul Bass

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Post by a.hun » Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:20 am

Les Paul Lover wrote:Another POG user I see? Defo need to look what that one does!
Polyphonic octave generator. I have the simple Micro Pog myself.

EH wonder weapon. Adds a high +/or low octave (8ve) to your signal. You can blend how much of each.

'Polyphonic' as it doesn't just work on single notes, but on full chords too. Unlike most 8ve generators the tracking is also very good indeed. Pretty much unique that way.

Sounds can be subtle or nuts. You can get 12 stringish sounds with just a little high 8ve added, some ridiculous 'church organ' type sounds with both high and low 8ves, especially if you use volume swells. But you can also use these subtly just for tone enhancement. Some of the biggest and best distorted sounds I've ever had have been with a bit of very subtle POG tone enhancement, literally just using it as a sort of strange extra low and high EQ.

Various versions. Vids here:
http://www.ehx.com/browse/octave-synthesis-pitch" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Andy.
aNDyH. :wink:

Ever tried to outstare a mirror?

In the bathtub of history the truth is harder to hold than the soap, and much more difficult to find!