Rocker 30 + OBC115 for bass???/

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

the orangewizard
Orange Master

Rocker 30 + OBC115 for bass???/

Post by the orangewizard » Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:57 pm

So I've bought a bass guitar,(Fender Geddy Lee Signature Jazz),and am getting re-aquainted with the instrument.I started my rock music journey on bass as a 16 year old. So anyway,I have a Rocker 30 head and a 1x12 cabinet I've been playing through,and have been surprised at how good it sounds.Trouble is,I don't want to turn up too loud,and pop the 12" guitar speaker in this cab.

I've thought about picking up an OBC115 to run into.....any thoughts on how this would sound? :idea:
Hugh

baytamusic
Duke of Orange

Re: Rocker 30 + OBC115 for bass???/

Post by baytamusic » Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:02 pm

That's a pretty expensive cabinet to run with a 30w head. You won't get hardly any headroom. The money may be better spent on an actual bass amp IMO. Depends what you're wanting to do I guess. It definitely wouldn't hang with a band unless it's acoustic stuff.

jason41224
Orange Master

Post by jason41224 » Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:15 pm

yeah, i very much doubt you'll get up to band volumes even if you add a better cab. you'd be better off grabbing a bass terror combo or something like that.
Jason
Rocker 30
too many pedals

misterfolkertsma
Orange Expert

Post by misterfolkertsma » Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:33 am

Do you use it for a dirty bass sound? If so, i guess should work just fine. A friend of mine who's also a guitarist A/B's between two amps for bass, one of them is a AD30 combo which he uses for dirt. I would have to check if he uses the combo's speakers or uses an external cab live, but he does use the A/B setup live at gigging volumes.

edit: http://www.facebook.com/themadtrist/photos_stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

judging from the pics, he uses the AD30 combo's speakers.

Borderline Productions
Orange Master

Post by Borderline Productions » Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:30 pm

My original amp is a 50-watt (2 6L6s) Silvertone bass amp from the early 70s with a 15" speaker. It is totally awesome for guitar when you get it loud enough (no separate gain knob in those days), but it is not enough power for bass. Sounds pretty anemic. Probably cool when alone or in the studio, but will not cut it live.
Bob

http://www.purevolume.com/oxymora" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Post by a.hun » Fri Apr 19, 2013 3:02 pm

the orangewizard wrote:So I've bought a bass guitar,(Fender Geddy Lee Signature Jazz),and am getting re-aquainted with the instrument.I started my rock music journey on bass as a 16 year old. So anyway,I have a Rocker 30 head and a 1x12 cabinet I've been playing through,and have been surprised at how good it sounds.Trouble is,I don't want to turn up too loud,and pop the 12" guitar speaker in this cab.

I've thought about picking up an OBC115 to run into.....any thoughts on how this would sound? :idea:
You're right, the R.30 actually sounds great for bass. (Again, it really reminds me of my OR120 used that way too.)
And you're right, you probably don't want to blast the single speaker (a V.30?) too hard - you might just overdo things on the cone excursion front and damage it.

Depends what you expect. Loud 30W guitar amp or not, 30W really isn't much for bass at all. Fine for mucking about by yourself, maybe small rehearsals if you are keeping things very quiet (and don't have a drummer). But otherwise you are just going to get lost as a marginal indistinct burble in the background, even through a good bass cab.

Of course if you pick up an OBC115 to use with it at home you can always get a more powerful dedicated bass head later on for away matches. There are plenty of very affordable and decent sounding amps out there now, many of them weighing only 2-3Kg or so. That won't make a 30Kg cab any lighter, but even so things are good on the bass amp front these days.

How's the Geddy Lee? I've never actually played that model, but do love my Japanese Fenders.

Andy.
aNDyH. :wink:

Ever tried to outstare a mirror?

In the bathtub of history the truth is harder to hold than the soap, and much more difficult to find!

the orangewizard
Orange Master

Post by the orangewizard » Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:37 pm

a.hun wrote:
the orangewizard wrote:So I've bought a bass guitar,(Fender Geddy Lee Signature Jazz),and am getting re-aquainted with the instrument.I started my rock music journey on bass as a 16 year old. So anyway,I have a Rocker 30 head and a 1x12 cabinet I've been playing through,and have been surprised at how good it sounds.Trouble is,I don't want to turn up too loud,and pop the 12" guitar speaker in this cab.

You're right, the R.30 actually sounds great for bass. (Again, it really reminds me of my OR120 used that way too.)
And you're right, you probably don't want to blast the single speaker (a V.30?) too hard - you might just overdo things on the cone excursion front and damage it.

Depends what you expect. Loud 30W guitar amp or not, 30W really isn't much for bass at all. Fine for mucking about by yourself, maybe small rehearsals if you are keeping things very quiet (and don't have a drummer). But otherwise you are just going to get lost as a marginal indistinct burble in the background, even through a good bass cab.

Of course if you pick up an OBC115 to use with it at home you can always get a more powerful dedicated bass head later on for away matches. There are plenty of very affordable and decent sounding amps out there now, many of them weighing only 2-3Kg or so. That won't make a 30Kg cab any lighter, but even so things are good on the bass amp front these days.

How's the Geddy Lee? I've never actually played that model, but do love my Japanese Fenders.

Andy.
Yes,I had considered getting the OBC115,and running the R.30 head for the time being,and picking up something like a MarkBass Little Mark Tube 800 down the road when need,and funds allow.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifie ... s-amp-head" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

LOTTA power there,perhaps this would be plenty!!!! 8)

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifie ... s-amp-head" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I've also been looking at the Marshall MB hybrid series....I like the idea of something like this-

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifie ... amp#review" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The Geddy Lee is very cool.It's also fitting as this week Rush finally gets into the HOF,and Master Lee was the individual responsible for inspiring me to want to take up bass as a teenager. If I recall correctly,it was the POWER WINDOWS album that nailed the choice of bass over guitar at the time,(though I of course took up guitar later on down the road)!! 8)
Hugh

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Post by a.hun » Sat Apr 20, 2013 12:42 am

the orangewizard wrote:The Geddy Lee is very cool.It's also fitting as this week Rush finally gets into the HOF,and Master Lee was the individual responsible for inspiring me to want to take up bass as a teenager. If I recall correctly,it was the POWER WINDOWS album that nailed the choice of bass over guitar at the time,(though I of course took up guitar later on down the road)!! 8)
Hah, Geddy definitely got me into playing bass. I was learning the bass lines on Caress of Steel and 2112 before I even had a bass. I'd retune my violin to EADG and sit it on my lap... :lol:

Andy.
aNDyH. :wink:

Ever tried to outstare a mirror?

In the bathtub of history the truth is harder to hold than the soap, and much more difficult to find!

Borderline Productions
Orange Master

Post by Borderline Productions » Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:11 pm

The Getty Lee is based on the '72 jazz bass, the only year they had the black painted inlays on fret board. My college roommate has a '72 jazz bass and it is incredible. Perfect neck, perfect balance. You will be having fun.
Bob

http://www.purevolume.com/oxymora" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;