1978 OR80m Head Corners

Maybe someone can help you date your Orange Amplifier?

Moderator: bclaire

Gladmarr
Orange Master

Re: 1978 OR80m Head Corners

Post by Gladmarr » Sat Mar 09, 2013 10:58 pm

I'm sorta partial to the North Coast guys because 1) they're in Milwaukee, my home town and 2) the main guy there said my '64 AC30 was one of the best he's ever seen.

glenngross

Post by glenngross » Tue Mar 12, 2013 3:24 am

On closer inspection my metal corners do not look like Andy's. One corner is loose enough to see the original pin holes underneath as Gladmarr predicted. I'll have to create a photo bucket account or something similar to post photos when I'm more awake, as I traveled from Europe today.

Glenn

Gladmarr
Orange Master

Post by Gladmarr » Tue Mar 12, 2013 4:26 am

The real tragedy would be if the previous owner drilled new screw holes that don't match up with where the screw holes are for the original plastic corners. Sometimes you get lucky and you can hide the extra holes.... Keep your fingers crossed.

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Post by a.hun » Tue Mar 12, 2013 6:02 pm

Gladmarr wrote:The real tragedy would be if the previous owner drilled new screw holes that don't match up with where the screw holes are for the original plastic corners. Sometimes you get lucky and you can hide the extra holes.... Keep your fingers crossed.
Guess it all comes out in the wash in the bathtub of history, eh? :lol:
Well, in my case no problem there at least - whoever replaced the corners on mine chose them well! :D

Do mean it though - mine are staying. I'd really find my amp would look strange if I fitted black corners. It is what I've been used to for the past, ufff, 34 years of our journey together so they stay. Have to say the corners have done their job really well too - the amp may not be 10/10 collectors condition, but it has had a lot of use and still looks great, a decent 9. The (? original :wink:) thin vinyl cover (black with orange piping and a couple of subtle orange themed stickers) has done its job well too. It is gettin a bit tatty but apart from some slight patchy tarnish the metal corners still look pretty much brand new.

The only really nasty moment I've had with the amp was when it was being hoisted up to our flat here when I moved in ten years back. When moving flat (new apartment) Amsterdammers ignore the narrow steep stairs and just hoist everything up from the street and through the front windows. The amp was doing a solo ascent in the hoist net and took a big swing inwards from a too enthusiastic and slightly mistimed pull on the rope. Managed to avoid putting it through a downstairs neighbour's window but only at the expense of a piece of brickwork between floors. :oops: I was honestly more worried about the brickwork though (and ourselves in the shrapnel zone!) and the amp was (of course) totally unscathed. (These things are massively built - I knew if the valves were okay the rest almost certainly would be too!) The cover got a little bit chewed up on one corner, but that was it. Even the metal corner was unscathed. :D

Andy.
aNDyH. :wink:

Ever tried to outstare a mirror?

In the bathtub of history the truth is harder to hold than the soap, and much more difficult to find!

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:15 pm

Wow... brick wall vs Orange = Orange winner!

glenngross

Post by glenngross » Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:38 pm

Indeed, the previous owner drilled new holes for the metal corners. The good news is that only one hole (top left rear) is partially exposed. The first photo compares the two corner types. Thanks to all.

Glenn

butlersway

Post by butlersway » Sun May 19, 2013 5:24 pm

I have an OR120 with black tolex and metal corners.
Any thoughts ?

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Post by a.hun » Mon May 20, 2013 3:39 pm

butlersway wrote:I have an OR120 with black tolex and metal corners.
Any thoughts ?
Yeah, sure. Great amp - Lucky you! :D
(Pictures required though or we don't believe you.)

I love Oranges in black tolex. And you can probably guess that I approve of metal corners! :wink:

Andy.
aNDyH. :wink:

Ever tried to outstare a mirror?

In the bathtub of history the truth is harder to hold than the soap, and much more difficult to find!