NGD: Eastwood sidejack DLX

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

space-boy
Orange Expert

NGD: Eastwood sidejack DLX

Post by space-boy » Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:41 pm

Yes, I know this ain't a 4-figures axe, but well, it has the looks and I'm loving the sound as well as some very nice features, like a please-pull-gently-tremolo bar and shielded circuitry you wouldn't expect in a guitar this price. Only caveat is the tremolo bar didn't have the plastic cap you can see in the picture. I'll have to ask at the shop :roll:

For those of you who haven't ever heard of the Ventures 8) this guitar recreates the Mosrite made famous by them in the 60's and it looks like:

I even love the greenburst and I honestly didn't know I would ever say something like this of a green guitar!

Any eastwood fans around??
It's wrong to wish on space hardware

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Re: NGD: Eastwood sidejack DLX

Post by Les Paul Lover » Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:50 pm

Not a 4 figure axe??????? :shock: Surely it can't be good? :lol:

That looks a funky piece - never heard of them though. Congrats!!!!!!!!
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

myboss57
Orange Master

Post by myboss57 » Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:35 pm

Nice! I love the looks of it too. I dig the shape and pickup placements.
Gibson SG Standard
http://www.nightmovesmd.bandcamp.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Sovtek Mig 100h
TC Alter Ego
Mesa Oversized 412
Prev amps: 90s OD120, Tiny Terror, Rockerverb 100mk1

RickenBangler
Orange Hero

Post by RickenBangler » Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:27 pm

Nice - always liked the Sidejacks...
space-boy wrote:Only caveat is the tremolo bar didn't have the plastic cap you can see in the picture. I'll have to ask at the shop
I used to run a small Eastwood & DiPinto dealership here in the UK - if there were any small items missing (rarely) then a quick email to Mike and they would be here in a jiffy. Assuming the customer service hasn't changed you'll soon get the missing cap.

Could never get on with the snot coloured tuners though - they're not that great IMHO, the only things that we ever had issues with as resellers.
CR60C+PPC112 Mini Stack
Rickenbacker 620/6 JetGlo | G&L Fallout | Fender P-Bass
MarkBass Micromark 801
Past Orange Relationships Micro Crush | Crush CR35LDX | Tiny Terror | OR15/PPC112

The Provocateurs Bandcamp

space-boy
Orange Expert

Post by space-boy » Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:32 pm

RickenBangler wrote: I used to run a small Eastwood & DiPinto dealership here in the UK - if there were any small items missing (rarely) then a quick email to Mike and they would be here in a jiffy. Assuming the customer service hasn't changed you'll soon get the missing cap.

Could never get on with the snot coloured tuners though - they're not that great IMHO, the only things that we ever had issues with as resellers.
Thanks a lot! I'll ask my shop quickly!
You mean the tuners are pron to break or they just don't stay tuned too long?

Thanks a lot for the heads up :P
Too bad my RV is at the tech already so I could only try it on one of those transistor amps with a big M... Can't wait for my 80 lb. baby back!!!

space-boy
Orange Expert

Post by space-boy » Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:41 pm

Les Paul Lover wrote:Not a 4 figure axe??????? :shock: Surely it can't be good? :lol:
XD Don't get me wrong... I wouldn't mind to have one or two '59 les pauls, hahaha...

But I feel kind of embarrased talking about this guitar after seeing the kind of gear some forum fellas have...

Said that, I love to have the chance to share it with the gearhead brotherhood!
You know what is like not having anyone to tell who does actually care about it ?? XD

hitgar
Orange Hero

Post by hitgar » Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:32 pm

Congrats!
Always a fan of slightly odd shaped guitars. This one looks killer - especially with that paint job.

space-boy
Orange Expert

Post by space-boy » Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:24 pm

Yeah, I dig non-typical-but-still-elegant shapes ...
They define the body as "reverse strat" but it looks "fatter" than a strat IMO!

RickenBangler
Orange Hero

Post by RickenBangler » Sat Jan 12, 2013 12:08 am

space-boy wrote:You mean the tuners are pron to break or they just don't stay tuned too long?
We had a couple of split keys and one that drifted out... to be fair that was the exception rather than the rule. They're no better or worse than any other instrument around that price point. Easy enough to swap the tuners out - there will be Gotoh or Grovers that'll fit without too much trouble and It's a very worthwhile upgrade (apart from the fact I find the original mucus things aesthetically displeasing - each to their own).

I used to replace the jacks with Switchcrafts as well.
Stock strings are OK but...

These are very solid and pretty guitars and spending a few pennies here and there can make a world of difference.
CR60C+PPC112 Mini Stack
Rickenbacker 620/6 JetGlo | G&L Fallout | Fender P-Bass
MarkBass Micromark 801
Past Orange Relationships Micro Crush | Crush CR35LDX | Tiny Terror | OR15/PPC112

The Provocateurs Bandcamp

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Post by a.hun » Sat Jan 12, 2013 2:24 pm

space-boy wrote:
Les Paul Lover wrote:Not a 4 figure axe??????? :shock: Surely it can't be good? :lol:
XD Don't get me wrong... I wouldn't mind to have one or two '59 les pauls, hahaha...

But I feel kind of embarrased talking about this guitar after seeing the kind of gear some forum fellas have...

Said that, I love to have the chance to share it with the gearhead brotherhood!
You know what is like not having anyone to tell who does actually care about it ?? XD
No need! Quite a few of my guitars and basses are far from expensive, but that doesn't make them bad instruments. In fact I'd say all of mine are great playing instruments, otherwise I wouldn't have bought them. I have a old Korean Fenix 'J' style bass for example that since a pickup change I just can't put down. The pickups virtually doubled what I paid for the bass s/h, but the woods and build quality are fine - it always played well but now it also sounds fantastic.

My MIC Squier CV Tele didn't even need the p/up change!

If the tuners are a weak link I'd replace them. Did that (along with the crappy plastic strap knobs) on my Korean Danelectro Longhorn bass and it is another total winner now. Cheap yes, but very very cheerful too - nothing wrong with that.

Plenty of matches if you search for 'Eastwood' here. Congrats on the NG! :D

Andy.
aNDyH. :wink:

Ever tried to outstare a mirror?

In the bathtub of history the truth is harder to hold than the soap, and much more difficult to find!

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Post by Jondog » Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:01 pm

Nice axe. Thought about getting one once. Design of choice by Johnny Ramone. Kurt Cobain was known to use one as well. Price is just a number.

baytamusic
Duke of Orange

Post by baytamusic » Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:23 pm

Nice guitar and a good alternative to a real Mosrite! You'd have to sell a kindney to have a real one so I think an Eastwood is a good alternative. My bandmate has the Jay Turser Mosrite copy and it's ok, doesn't sound very good but looks cool in white with gold hardware. I bet the Eastwood is much better quality. Another good one are the old Univox Hi-Flyers.

Y0UNGBL00D
Orange Master

Post by Y0UNGBL00D » Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:22 pm

ive wanted one of these forever. awesome grab!
Thunderverb 50,
modded SG, pedals, shiner bock.

misterfolkertsma
Orange Expert

Post by misterfolkertsma » Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:46 pm

I love Eastwood guitars, eventhough I don't own one myself. Played some of their models, It's cool that they offer a greenburst for some of their guitars. The Messenger also comes in a greenburst which is a really cool guitar. I'd like the baritone version of yours.