Performing with laptop live?!

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

conkerandco
Tiny Terror

Performing with laptop live?!

Post by conkerandco » Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:53 pm

Hi guys, looking for some advice.

I got a MacBook Pro a few weeks back and have been using the mainstage software with a midi keyboard and loving the sounds and have started adding keys/synth parts to our songs at band practices.

My questions are how do i manage this when it comes to performing live?! At practices i've been running the laptop through my studio monitors but how would i hook up to a P.A? can i just use the 3.5mm headphone socket on the mac? is there a better way to achieve this?

Thanks in advance!

jason41224
Orange Master

Re: Performing with laptop live?!

Post by jason41224 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:36 am

you're going to need a small mixer and a 1/8 to 1/4 (inches, not mm) adapter. plug in the laptop to the adapter, the adapter into a line in on the mixer, and use the mixer's main out to go to the PA.

if you're playing to a click, this can be accomplished by splitting the tracks in stereo, with L holding the tracks and R holding the click. use the L output for the PA and the R output for whoever you want to hear the click.
Jason
Rocker 30
too many pedals

baytamusic
Duke of Orange

Post by baytamusic » Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:17 am

Or buy an audio interface which is what I'd do.

conkerandco
Tiny Terror

Post by conkerandco » Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:44 pm

Cheers for the replies guys,

I do have an interface but it only has the same 3.5mm stereo jack that the laptop has anyway.

I've seen a 3.5mm cable that splits into two 1/4'' jacks, might just plan on using that with D.I boxes to get into a desk.