Give me your top 10 rock solos - New Year's Resolution

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Woodsie
Orange Expert

Re: Give me your top 10 rock solos - New Year's Resolution

Post by Woodsie » Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:55 am

My favorite solo of all time and one that took me a long time was on the recorded version of Alive, by Pearl Jam. The beginning was admittedly a rip off of Ace Frehleys solo in She.
Others I like are Red House, Since I've Been Loving You, Whole Lotta Love, Texas Flood, Crazy Train, Man in The Box.
==================================================================

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:34 pm

Woodsie, I hope it's not your amp in your sig pic - that hot chic has HER BOOT on the bloody cab!!!!!

Must be a criminal offence in some country, i tell you..... :twisted:
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Post by a.hun » Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:36 pm

Les Paul Lover wrote:Woodsie, I hope it's not your amp in your sig pic - that hot chic has HER BOOT on the bloody cab!!!!!

What do you mean 'hot chick'? I thought that was Woodsie... :P

Andy.
aNDyH. :wink:

Ever tried to outstare a mirror?

In the bathtub of history the truth is harder to hold than the soap, and much more difficult to find!

OrangePaul
Orange Master

Post by OrangePaul » Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:24 pm

a.hun wrote:
Les Paul Lover wrote:Woodsie, I hope it's not your amp in your sig pic - that hot chic has HER BOOT on the bloody cab!!!!!

What do you mean 'hot chick'? I thought that was Woodsie... :P

Andy.
Me too at first... I was just about to compliment her on an excellent choice of Rock solos :oops:
Paul.

Woodsie
Orange Expert

Post by Woodsie » Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:31 pm

If that was me, i'd never leave the house. I'd be.....busy.... :shock: Not my amp either. That's Kat Lucas from Pink's band. she's endorsed by Orange and Gibson. So, between the three of them, they fulfill all of my guilty pleasures.
==================================================================

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:31 pm

Woodsie wrote:If that was me, i'd never leave the house. I'd be.....busy.... :shock: Not my amp either. That's Kat Lucas from Pink's band. she's endorsed by Orange and Gibson. So, between the three of them, they fulfill all of my guilty pleasures.

Well, of course you'd be busy, it's totally understable. That with the internet, there are so many low heels, mid heels, high heels, nevermind the midcut boots, high boots....... :shock:

:lol:
Ant

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

irish_admiral
Prince of Orange

Post by irish_admiral » Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:20 pm

Going for Whole Lotta Love at the mo... ouch my fingers hurt from trying big bends with 10s on a Tele!
Joe

G(sus) saves

Orange AD15, Matamp 1224, Fender 'JD' Tele, G&L ASAT, Duesenberg Starplayer TV, Eggle Kanuga, Avalon D25, Warwick FNA Jazzman, Eden Nemesis / Bergantino EX112S, Eastman MD305 & other stuff...

fiaj
Tiny Terror

Post by fiaj » Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:17 pm

If you want good stretching then it might be good to look outside of rock, as most rock solos are just fast pentatonic. I'm not putting anything down, before anyone gets offended, just offering some advice. Maybe look into jazz (I know most is dull and boring, but it is kind of the ultimate musical discipline), some of the "rockier" stuff, play around with the chromatic and switching between some more irregular intervals. Spending time learning rock solos will only take you so far, the same time spent learning more unusual scales or complex technique will send you flying. It's also great to learn parts that are written for other instruments, helps develop some very different approaches to the guitar. If you want to get extreme then learn some of the accordian from Farmers Market or something like that :shock: … far beyond my skills.
But of course, it's all just about having fun so I hope I don't seem rude for not mentioning any rock artists.

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:30 pm

fiaj wrote:If you want good stretching then it might be good to look outside of rock, as most rock solos are just fast pentatonic. I'm not putting anything down, before anyone gets offended, just offering some advice. Maybe look into jazz (I know most is dull and boring, but it is kind of the ultimate musical discipline), some of the "rockier" stuff, play around with the chromatic and switching between some more irregular intervals. Spending time learning rock solos will only take you so far, the same time spent learning more unusual scales or complex technique will send you flying. It's also great to learn parts that are written for other instruments, helps develop some very different approaches to the guitar. If you want to get extreme then learn some of the accordian from Farmers Market or something like that :shock: … far beyond my skills.
But of course, it's all just about having fun so I hope I don't seem rude for not mentioning any rock artists.

All good advice. For myself, i really wish I had the time to out that into practice. :(

Reminds of an interview of Matt Bellamy from Muse, he was saying he composed most guitar parts on piano - then transposed them to guitar, however painful it was. And the flat octave piano approach can make for some painful guitar shapes! :lol:

As for myself, i love gipsy jazz - and have fallen in love with the harmonic minor scale, particularily in A. Lovely tones - but difficult to apply to rock most times.
Ant