Letting someone else use your amp

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

DiabloS
Orange Master

Letting someone else use your amp

Post by DiabloS » Fri Nov 30, 2012 5:55 pm

Yeah, I wouldn't just lend my amp to someone if I wasn't there or anything. In this case it was basically just a matter of letting another guitarist plug into my setup, almost exact same settings, same cab so no danger of mismatching the ohmage with a different cab. It was really satisfying to hear something close to what others hear when we're playing though, the whole band actually used our gear, drum kit, bass rig and guitar rig. Right away the words thick and creamy came to mind as to how the guitar tone sounded, the palm mutes sounded super crunchy and cut through just fine with no harshness at all and was just overall very pleasing to listen to!
DOWNLOAD THE DIABLO STRANGE EP FOR FREE HERE -> http://diablostrange.bandcamp.com

Currently own:
Dual Terror
Micro Terror
PPC212OB

Used to own:
Thunderverb 50
Rocker 30
Tiny Terror

Van Cleef
Orange Master

Re: Letting someone else use your amp

Post by Van Cleef » Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:19 pm

DiabloS wrote:I know some people aren't very fond of letting other people use their gear at a show, but I had actually been wanting to hear another band play through my TV50 so I could hear what it sounds like from an audience perspective. It finally happened last night and it was actually quite awesome to hear what it sounds like up front! It was a pretty big room in a college cafeteria, unmic'd and played through my 2X10 cab and still performed REALLY well. It just made me love my amp even more after being able to hear it from both sides of the stage.
i let people use my amps happily... especially our friends interstate who are on tour... and yes it is always great to hear someone else playing your amp
LIKE SPACE ROCK? = VAN CLEEF @ BANDCAMP http://vancleef.bandcamp.com/

everdrone
Orange Expert

Post by everdrone » Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:46 am

the original poster definitely did it the right way since the risk was minimal and he was overseeing it, and I dig the awesomeness of the tv50. I band before me loaned me their amp in the past, and I see this happen every so often. One thing I noticed is that sometimes a wall socket might have short circuited the amp that he needs a replacement for, and you never wanna plug it into that wall socket; always play with top of the line furman power conditioning tho ;)

but ya, it is like, what if a stranger asks you to borrow your car? There is no way I would say yes.

I should note that I had a past friend that had ALL his band's gear stolen out of their suburban, and another one of my past friends left his bass rig at his "friends" place and it dissapeared, and another past friend loan his guitar to someone and was at the point of plotting to get it back...I have had various stuff stolen from me...etc etc
My solo downtuned HEAVY rock project: https://soundcloud.com/earthalliance

Guitarist and Bassist in Fort Worth, TEXAS

Dark Helmet
Orange Master

Post by Dark Helmet » Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:15 pm

depends on the amp.... the AD30 combo... probably fine, certainly if I'm going to be there... worst case they blow it up and have to buy me a new one, which isn't hard to find.

the TV50, eh, maybe... depends on who wants to borrow it... I'm getting ready to sell it here and I don't want it dinged up at all.... and the impedance matching issues are less-controllable...

a scarce unit that couldn't easily be replaced? would probably not let it out of my sight.
Dark Lord of the Schwartz
AD15/12
AD30TC
AD50
AD140
Thunderverb50

2016 Gibson LP Standard
2012 Gibson LP Classic Custom
2017 Gibson Firebird Studio T
Epi Les Paul (used to be) Standard
2018 Taylor 616CE

Tango
Orange Master

Post by Tango » Sat Dec 08, 2012 12:32 am

OU818 wrote: I also nearly lynch musicians who put their drinks on my amp.
Ditto! And they don't ever do it again!
http://www.radio-clash.com/fr_home.cfm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Tango
Orange Master

Post by Tango » Sat Dec 08, 2012 12:37 am

I never let anyone use my stuff ever. One support band guitarist asked to borrow my cab as he assumed I would say yes and hadn't bothered to bring his. He had a bit of a rush on, going home to get his cab in time to go on. I always come with all the gear I need, I expect other people to do the same.
Last edited by Tango on Sat Dec 08, 2012 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
http://www.radio-clash.com/fr_home.cfm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

nlimbaugh
Orange Master

Post by nlimbaugh » Sat Dec 08, 2012 2:42 am

When you're a kid it's OK. When you turn 18 certain people can use it. By drinking age even Ozzy doesn't touch it. :D I heard of a high profile hardcore band doing a big dollar reunion show and thought they could use other bands' gear like they did when they were 16. Denied. If a guy asks to use your gear you ask to see his girlfriend... tell him you won't break anything. And, that's when go to the van and pull out the trusty Peavey amp.:lol:

Y0UNGBL00D
Orange Master

Post by Y0UNGBL00D » Sun Dec 09, 2012 3:06 pm

i LOVE hearing my amp in somone else's hands.

touch it and die, however.
Thunderverb 50,
modded SG, pedals, shiner bock.

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Post by a.hun » Mon Dec 10, 2012 7:15 am

Tango wrote:
OU818 wrote: I also nearly lynch musicians who put their drinks on my amp.
Ditto! And they don't ever do it again!
Def a big no no. Well stupid!

Andy.
aNDyH. :wink:

Ever tried to outstare a mirror?

In the bathtub of history the truth is harder to hold than the soap, and much more difficult to find!