Here's a crazy idea for a Rocker re-issue

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

apocalypsedude
Rocker

Here's a crazy idea for a Rocker re-issue

Post by apocalypsedude » Thu Dec 06, 2012 6:32 pm

How about a Rocker with 4 EL34 power tubes? Don't mess with anything else, just double the wattage! The Natural channel sure could use some more headroom in a band application and there are times that I could use some more volume on tap in the Dirty channel before it starts to get noisy (for me thats when the Master is past noon w/ the gain around 2pm). Basically just a LOUDER Rocker 30.
Orange Dual Dark 50
Rocker 30 head
Ceriatone 2555 (Marshall Silver Jubilee clone)
Framus 4x12 V30s
Fender Pro Jr.
LP Classic 2006
LP Standard 1993
'81 Greco, Japanese "lawsuit" LP Custom
SG Standard 1992

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Re: Here's a crazy idea for a Rocker re-issue

Post by a.hun » Thu Dec 06, 2012 7:22 pm

apocalypsedude wrote:How about a Rocker with 4 EL34 power tubes? Don't mess with anything else, just double the wattage! The Natural channel sure could use some more headroom in a band application and there are times that I could use some more volume on tap in the Dirty channel before it starts to get noisy (for me thats when the Master is past noon w/ the gain around 2pm). Basically just a LOUDER Rocker 30.
Mic --> PA? :wink:

Bit more 'Natural' channel clean headroom to be had with a simple clean boost into it.

Dirty channel too noisy though? Any amp will get noisy at higher gain / volume of course, but the Rocker seems to be pretty quiet compared to most. And anyway more power wouldn't help sort that any. Sure you don't just have a noisy preamp valve in there?

Personally I think the R.30s output is pretty darn healthy for a 30 watter. Enough for most purposes as is. If it needed to be a shade louder I'd add speakers before adding wattage. Just my own take though, and my name ain't 'apocalypsedude'... :lol:

Andy.
aNDyH. :wink:

Ever tried to outstare a mirror?

In the bathtub of history the truth is harder to hold than the soap, and much more difficult to find!

Dark Helmet
Orange Master

Post by Dark Helmet » Thu Dec 06, 2012 7:32 pm

in.
Dark Lord of the Schwartz
AD15/12
AD30TC
AD50
AD140
Thunderverb50

2016 Gibson LP Standard
2012 Gibson LP Classic Custom
2017 Gibson Firebird Studio T
Epi Les Paul (used to be) Standard
2018 Taylor 616CE

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Post by a.hun » Thu Dec 06, 2012 7:37 pm

Nope, out... :lol:
http://forum.orangeamps.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=46376" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Andy.
aNDyH. :wink:

Ever tried to outstare a mirror?

In the bathtub of history the truth is harder to hold than the soap, and much more difficult to find!

Jabberwocky
Orange Expert

Post by Jabberwocky » Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:40 pm

Yeah ok get the idea, but what I like about the Rocker Natural channel is you can crank it on stage without busting anyones eardrums and it sounds amazing. Given that the Nat channel uses power tube breakup when cranked, it would get to damaging levels on stage to get the same breakup if you increased the power output, and I hate to think how scary the Dirty channel would get!!........
Maybe it would be an option for an additional Rocker version, kinda like the terror and the dual terror, but the sensible wattage was one of the things that drew me to the Rocker in the first place.
Fender USA Standard Stratocaster
Gordon Smith Galaxy
Gibson Les Paul Classic
Faith Jupiter Jumbo Acoustic
Orange Rocker 30 HD
Orange Micro Terror
Orange PPC 212 OB
Lead
Plectrum
Attitude
Sorted!

jason41224
Orange Master

Post by jason41224 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:58 pm

meh, i wouldn't really care for it. the R30 already has a lot of headroom, provided you give it a little boost. and any amp past a certain volume is going to be noisy, just because you're raising the noise floor along with the rest of your signal. point is, nobody will notice it in a band mix. i'm not sure how much taking away cathode biasing would affect the sound/feel of the amp, but i'd wager that it'd be pretty different. in any case, a 100W amp (assuming a 4xEL34 Rocker would be 100W) isn't all that much louder than a cathode-biased 30W amp, and if it is, you'd never be able to unload all that volume unless you play stoner music (in which case, the Rocker's probably not the amp for you anyways).

what i'd love to see from Orange is them coming out with a "natural channel only" head, with the possible addition of a bandaxall EQ. just a nice, sweet, simple singal path. if you've read any of my posts in the last few months, you know that i've been discovering just how pedal friendly the natural channel is. it's very neutral and balanced perfect for coloring with different sounding boosts and light ODs, and then kicking it over the top with a great fuzz/distortion stacked with it. it's not too woofy/flubby like a fender, not to ice-picky like a vox, not overly middy either. it's just...right.
Jason
Rocker 30
too many pedals

baytamusic
Duke of Orange

Post by baytamusic » Fri Dec 07, 2012 3:45 am

I could see a use for it if you want big sounding cleans or play heavier music.

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Post by Jondog » Fri Dec 07, 2012 4:09 am

OR120

Van Cleef
Orange Master

Post by Van Cleef » Fri Dec 07, 2012 4:38 am

a 60 watt single channel amp that is just the natural channel...

in a 2x12 combo with tank reverb and vibrato...

and yeah the r30 natural channel has PLENTY of clean headroom...

provided your drummer is a hobbit who plays bongos using just his hands wrapped in foam, mic'd up and put through f.o.h
LIKE SPACE ROCK? = VAN CLEEF @ BANDCAMP http://vancleef.bandcamp.com/

baytamusic
Duke of Orange

Post by baytamusic » Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:28 pm

Van Cleef wrote:a 60 watt single channel amp that is just the natural channel...

in a 2x12 combo with tank reverb and vibrato...

and yeah the r30 natural channel has PLENTY of clean headroom...

provided your drummer is a hobbit who plays bongos using just his hands wrapped in foam, mic'd up and put through f.o.h
I don't know man, we're loud as sh*t, and it has enough for me, although my clean isn't really totally "clean". I'm also using a 4x12.

jason41224
Orange Master

Post by jason41224 » Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:38 pm

same, but i have a 212. i run my R30 exclusively clean these days too, and we're loud as piss. if i'm boosting it with my compressor and SHO clone, the farthest i've ever taken it is 10 o'clock (which is super loud and pretty clean still)
Jason
Rocker 30
too many pedals

indianDYsummer
Orange Master

Post by indianDYsummer » Sat Dec 08, 2012 3:01 am

My R30 has comparable headroom to my bandmates silverface Fender bandmaster reverb. I also use a micro amp and a PPC212OB.

baytamusic
Duke of Orange

Post by baytamusic » Sat Dec 08, 2012 7:51 pm

jason41224 wrote:same, but i have a 212. i run my R30 exclusively clean these days too, and we're loud as piss. if i'm boosting it with my compressor and SHO clone, the farthest i've ever taken it is 10 o'clock (which is super loud and pretty clean still)
I play my natural channel on 2-3 o'clock with a Barber LTD in front these days, because it's still too clean for me without a little help. I barely have the overdrive doing anything though.

Dave666
Orange Hero

Post by Dave666 » Sun Dec 09, 2012 12:12 pm

Mine has all the power I need. And I tune my guitar in B standard. Yesterday I played my R30 through a 1974 Laney Klipp cabinet. Damn, those cabs sound awesome, my tone was very creamy, thick and juicy without losing clarity. Mastervolume was at 3.5, gain at 7, no pedals needed, to go clean, just a turn on the volumeknob was enough. Anyone has an idea what kind of speakers are in those cabs? And are there any equivalent speakers available?
Orange Rocker30C loaded with a Creamback 65
Zilla Super Fatboy 2x12 loaded with Creamnback 65's
Gibson Flying-V - PRS Mira S2

Jab
Tiny Terror

Post by Jab » Sun Dec 09, 2012 12:28 pm

It's like I said in some thread before.
Orange should make a one channel 100W custom shop amp, loosely based on the R30. Kind of their plexi superlead. I think it would be awesome!
Good master volume and lossless (Metroamp-style) fx-loop on the back and everyones happy :)
Gear at the moment:
Gibson LP 1955 RI
'76 Gibson LPC
Haar 'Blackie' strat
'65 Tremolux
Orange R30
'72 JMP SB
'82 JMP 2203
50w custom plexi (For sale)
HW-cabs
...and that's about it, for now.