Band now owns a JCM800...

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Van Cleef
Orange Master

Re: Band now owns a JCM800...

Post by Van Cleef » Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:11 pm

if you can't get an awesome sound out of an all original jcm 800 - you're doing it wrong
LIKE SPACE ROCK? = VAN CLEEF @ BANDCAMP http://vancleef.bandcamp.com/

TESLA_EL34
Orange Master

Post by TESLA_EL34 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:25 am

to me the amp sounds good now after some knob tweaking. its very bright if you play it without the band but in a bandmix it gets better. i found out the master needs to cranked up as much as possible. also crank the preamp as loud as you can on the low input...the louder the better. but when it was loud, it was... too loud!

while it sounded good i thought its too overpowering in a bandmix. our setup with the lower wattage amps results in a MUCH better overall bandsound. we gigged a lot and i noticed the difference everytime. i liked the JCM sound but its a bit too loud right now. maybe the 2x12 with greenbacks will help to reduce the volume.

seriously, the rocker30 has a very good stage volume. its hard to hear yourself with a louder amp on the monitors. thats what i found out. whenever i play the matamp i get massive tone but i have trouble hearing myself singing.

for me: 30-40 watt amps ftw these days. ac30, rocker30, ampeg vt40 and ad30 were winners in terms of perfect stage volume/tube cooking sound. most clubs dont have the PA power for the big iron amps. its just the truth.
accept darkness.

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Post by a.hun » Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:27 pm

TESLA_EL34 wrote: for me: 30-40 watt amps ftw these days. ac30, rocker30, ampeg vt40 and ad30 were winners in terms of perfect stage volume/tube cooking sound... its just the truth.
Totally. A good 100W Marshall is going to be really loud when cooking. (Marshalls are especially 'loud' for their actual wattage IMO.) A 50 watter will easily do, some will still be too loud. A great 30 - 40 watt amp through good speakers is going to be killer on stage.

I'd pull a couple of valves and slap the output impedance selector a notch down to compensate. At least 50 watts will be closer to usable. That or take a few dB off with a good attenuator. Either way you'll be able to get the best out of the amp without killing too many small furry critters, let alone fans or your own brain cells.

Andy.
aNDyH. :wink:

Ever tried to outstare a mirror?

In the bathtub of history the truth is harder to hold than the soap, and much more difficult to find!

baytamusic
Duke of Orange

Post by baytamusic » Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:32 pm

Andy makes a good point. If it's a 100w pull two power tubes and adjust impedance accordingly . You really need to get these things cooking to sound good. They fatten up and mellow out when they are up louder.

TESLA_EL34
Orange Master

Post by TESLA_EL34 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:38 am

Its a 50watter.... still too loud with two valves and that loud 2x12. Maybe we try a more quiet 2x12!
Should take care of the problem.

But i still think an amp with attenuator will sound thinner than a cranked up 30-40watt amp.
Maybe someone thinks the opposite ;) ?
accept darkness.

fiveightandten
Orange Master

Post by fiveightandten » Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:34 am

TESLA_EL34 wrote:Its a 50watter.... still too loud with two valves and that loud 2x12. Maybe we try a more quiet 2x12!
Should take care of the problem.

But i still think an amp with attenuator will sound thinner than a cranked up 30-40watt amp.
Maybe someone thinks the opposite ;) ?
I have yet to hear an attenuator that doesn't alter the tone and response of an amp in a negative way. There's really no substitute for just using an amp that has the proper amount of power for what you need.

Even amps with very good master volumes just plain sound better cranked up. That's the nature of the beast. A 50W JCM800 is quite loud, and doesn't sound good unless it's cranked up just about all the way. Sounds like it's not the right amp for your band.

-Nick
'71 GRO100 || '96 OR-80 || AD30 || '64 AC-50 || AC-30TBX || Hiwatt DR504 || HI-TONE HT30
LP Standard || LP Studio || LP Custom Lite || Ric 620 || Ric 360 || MIA Tele || SG 61 RI

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Post by a.hun » Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:26 am

TESLA_EL34 wrote:Its a 50watter.... still too loud
Oops, missed that. Oh well, can't run it on one... :(

Andy.
aNDyH. :wink:

Ever tried to outstare a mirror?

In the bathtub of history the truth is harder to hold than the soap, and much more difficult to find!