412 or 212? I know, again?

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Woodsie
Orange Expert

Re: 412 or 212? I know, again?

Post by Woodsie » Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:23 pm

everdrone wrote:I do not know what music you play, but it seems like a 412 is standard issue for like over 90% of rock and metal bands... that is why I wanna get mine, just to keep up with the joneses and for looks, maybe I will even plug it in :lol:

maybe it will pressurize the stage in a good way or help me rock a large crowd, but a 412 if you crank the amp much is really too much firepower for most PAs, you cannot really hear the rest of the band :mrgreen:
I play in a cover band. We play everything from Prince and The Black Keys to Alice in Chains, AC/DC, Pearl Jam and Rage Against the Machine.
==================================================================

Woodsie
Orange Expert

Post by Woodsie » Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:29 pm

a.hun wrote:
Woodsie wrote:As Peter Griffin said. "don't use your legs. Lift with your back, using a jerking, twisting motion"
Peter 'Löwenbräu' Griffin? I'll drink to that! (In fact I've even been to the Brewery... :D)

Andy.
Seth MacFarland is a New Englander. That's why Family Guy is set in Fictional Quahog, RI. He works at the Pawtucket Brewery (also fictional). I'm sitting at my ex's house, with my daughter, right now, in North Providence (referenced several times), right next door to Pawtucket, RI.

everdrone
Orange Expert

Post by everdrone » Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:01 am

Woodsie wrote:
everdrone wrote:I do not know what music you play, but it seems like a 412 is standard issue for like over 90% of rock and metal bands... that is why I wanna get mine, just to keep up with the joneses and for looks, maybe I will even plug it in :lol:

maybe it will pressurize the stage in a good way or help me rock a large crowd, but a 412 if you crank the amp much is really too much firepower for most PAs, you cannot really hear the rest of the band :mrgreen:
I play in a cover band. We play everything from Prince and The Black Keys to Alice in Chains, AC/DC, Pearl Jam and Rage Against the Machine.
I was the singer in the band with guitarist that had a peavey solid state 112, we played backyard crowds of 40-100 people. songs we played included:

testify -rage agaisnt the machine
rooster, and two others from alice in chains
sabbath
tool
other heavy stuff

that amp was definitely enough! you definitely do not *need* a 412, but I could see the benefits of having a 212, a 112, and two 412 cabs for all occasions! stockpiling and hording gear is key ;)

...fyi tho, gas is a disease. you might wanna stick with what you need and not worry about what others are doing; you know what is necessary since you have your 212 already. I have 2 410 cabs, two bass heads, a 212 bass combo, my tv50 stack, two practice amps, a recording rig, guits and basses...
My solo downtuned HEAVY rock project: https://soundcloud.com/earthalliance

Guitarist and Bassist in Fort Worth, TEXAS

mmsb13
Orange Hero

Post by mmsb13 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:50 am

Woodsie wrote:I play in a cover band. We play everything from Prince and The Black Keys to Alice in Chains, AC/DC, Pearl Jam and Rage Against the Machine.
Get the 4x12. They look good, sound good and are just pure rock & roll. . . plus it sounds like you really want one. Life is short. . . get what you want, whenever you can. :mrgreen:
40th Anniversary OR50H & PPC412-LTD
Rickenbacker 370/6 VP JG & 370/12 VP FG
and other gear. . .

Woodsie
Orange Expert

Post by Woodsie » Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:40 am

I do really want one. But, there are a lot of things I really want. I want to finish my bathrooms, I want new countertops and floor for my kitchen. I want to get my cracked tooth fixed. There are so many frivolous things I'd live to be able to spend my limite resources on but sometimes you have to do the right thing. That being said, I'm going to The Axe Palace today to at least check it out. That might be the kiss of death, once I see it up close and personal.

Dark Helmet
Orange Master

Post by Dark Helmet » Wed Dec 05, 2012 3:20 pm

stand in front of a 412 cabled to a TV50 and dime the MV on channel 2 with the shape at ~2:00...

pick a power-chord (E for best effect).

do it first with the attenuator at about noon.... hammer strings, giggle.

switch attenuator off

repeat

sop up the puddle at your feet.

THAT'S why you want a 412 (2 412s would be better)
Dark Lord of the Schwartz
AD15/12
AD30TC
AD50
AD140
Thunderverb50

2016 Gibson LP Standard
2012 Gibson LP Classic Custom
2017 Gibson Firebird Studio T
Epi Les Paul (used to be) Standard
2018 Taylor 616CE

Woodsie
Orange Expert

Post by Woodsie » Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:52 pm

Dark Helmet wrote:stand in front of a 412 cabled to a TV50 and dime the MV on channel 2 with the shape at ~2:00...

pick a power-chord (E for best effect).

do it first with the attenuator at about noon.... hammer strings, giggle.

switch attenuator off

repeat

sop up the puddle at your feet.

THAT'S why you want a 412 (2 412s would be better)
Would this phenomenon occur with a RV50?

I see you have an Avatar. How do you like that speaker configuration? I was looking at the Vintage 412 because it has a slightly tilted back speaker baffle. For the money, I don't think you can go wrong.

Dark Helmet
Orange Master

Post by Dark Helmet » Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:58 pm

Love the avatar, sounds great with the AD30, the G12Hs make the TV EVEN DARKER... so that's not really ideal.

but regardless, great value. if you can score a PPC412 off craigslist for similar money, its the better deal IMO, but I do like the one-off look mine has (orange w/ oxblood grill, so cool), and the construction is A1.

and yes, a RV50 would likely have a similar outcome... not quite as sinister, but yes.
Dark Lord of the Schwartz
AD15/12
AD30TC
AD50
AD140
Thunderverb50

2016 Gibson LP Standard
2012 Gibson LP Classic Custom
2017 Gibson Firebird Studio T
Epi Les Paul (used to be) Standard
2018 Taylor 616CE

Woodsie
Orange Expert

Post by Woodsie » Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:08 pm

Dark Helmet wrote:Love the avatar, sounds great with the AD30, the G12Hs make the TV EVEN DARKER... so that's not really ideal.

but regardless, great value. if you can score a PPC412 off craigslist for similar money, its the better deal IMO, but I do like the one-off look mine has (orange w/ oxblood grill, so cool), and the construction is A1.

and yes, a RV50 would likely have a similar outcome... not quite as sinister, but yes.
Well, PPC 412 is not on eBay. It's local. New, clearance, I'll just say a couple hundred below list. I like it because it's a slant can. It's just still a lot of money. I should be focusing on the kids about this time of year.

I probably wouldn't go with the V30 / G12H30 combo anyway. i put that in my 212 and didnt care for it. i dont want to make the RV any darker than it is now.

Taronja
Orange Master

Post by Taronja » Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:19 pm

Woodsie wrote:Thanks Jon. What does that mean for cabs with casters?
means, they are much easier to move around, all casters are removable...

Orange cabs freaking rule, casters or not... 4x12's are bad ass, you do the math!!

Orange + 4x12 = Da NutZZZzzz!!!

Jon
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Easter-B ... 6877535568
Member since 2005
Currently a non orange owner. Im actively in search of a vintage OR head... Feel free to send me any leads... :)

Woodsie
Orange Expert

Post by Woodsie » Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:46 pm

Well, i did it. I bought the 412 slant cab. they only had black in their clearance but i dont really care about that. it's pretty bada**. I ended up having to make an even tougher decision though. they had a PPC412HP in stock and also clearanced. it sounded pretty damn good. it's a 400w cab though and, while it seemed perfect for the TV200 sitting on it, it seemed like too much for my RV50. in the end, i thought the V30s sounded like a better match for what i need and, it's a slant, which i wanted. I can't wait to gig with this tomorrow night. pics to follow.

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Post by a.hun » Sat Dec 08, 2012 11:13 am

Woodsie wrote:Well, i did it. I bought the 412 slant cab. they only had black in their clearance but i dont really care about that. it's pretty bada**. I ended up having to make an even tougher decision though. they had a PPC412HP in stock and also clearanced. it sounded pretty damn good. it's a 400w cab though and, while it seemed perfect for the TV200 sitting on it, it seemed like too much for my RV50. in the end, i thought the V30s sounded like a better match for what i need and, it's a slant, which i wanted. I can't wait to gig with this tomorrow night. pics to follow.
You made the right choice! The HP cab impedance is basically a stereo cab, 8 ohms mono or 2x16 stereo. The TV200 has different impedance outputs when switching between 100 and 200W. Far better with a straight (or angled! :wink:) 16 ohm cab for most other Oranges.

Andy.
aNDyH. :wink:

Ever tried to outstare a mirror?

In the bathtub of history the truth is harder to hold than the soap, and much more difficult to find!