Amps you wish you'd never bought ....

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Belford
Tiny Terror

Re: Amps you wish you'd never bought ....

Post by Belford » Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:45 pm

I've had 90% good luck with the amps as I'm patient to save up and think about the purchase.

Not sure about that Marshall AVT275 behind me though, my first amp.. borrowed some Peavey bandits/Classic before that. Luckily got it for 1/3 the price of a new one 8 years ago.
Actually even that's a good gig amp for some cases, pretty damn loud, but the distortion isn't quite good.

Anyway starting with a loud tube amp would be disastrous I think :D It might be good to have a 'crappy' but forgiving solid state amp first.
Last edited by Belford on Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

savage8190
Orange Master

Post by savage8190 » Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:54 pm

In some way I'm happy I've had every amp I've had...now I now what I like and what I don't.

I'll be damned if I'm ever without an effects loop again...

Gtr_Pkr
Orange Expert

Post by Gtr_Pkr » Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:22 pm

Peavy Stereo Chorus 2x12. It was okay for my second amp, and it was a step up from the little solid state practice amp I originally got with my Regal guitar from the Montgomery Ward catalog. Hey, it had CHORUS, and TWO CHANNELS!! :lol:
Lost in the spacey reverb of the Rockerverb.......SOMEBODY GET ME OUTTA HERE!!

Dark Helmet
Orange Master

Post by Dark Helmet » Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:00 pm

none...

I'm only on #4 though... and I sold #1 for exactly what I paid for it.
Dark Lord of the Schwartz
AD15/12
AD30TC
AD50
AD140
Thunderverb50

2016 Gibson LP Standard
2012 Gibson LP Classic Custom
2017 Gibson Firebird Studio T
Epi Les Paul (used to be) Standard
2018 Taylor 616CE

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:34 pm

DiabloS wrote:Marshall DSL50... It sounded ok for edge of breakup crunch, but anything higher gain got too fizzy for me. It didn't have the dynamic feel of Orange amps either. I wouldn't say it's a horrible amp in all applications, but it just didn't cut it for me.
Very similar experience here with a Marshall JCM 2000 DSL 401 combo. Some neat tones, but no variety whatsoever and little clarity, articulation or dynamics. Agains, some very neat tight rock tones, but overal didn't work for me.

One very neat feature though - the 20db boost on the dirty channel. That worked VERY well for solos - I wish my RV50 had something like that!

fiveightandten wrote:I like having the experience.
But like you said, it was fun owning it (neat profit on it too..... :wink: )
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

philhed
Rocker

Post by philhed » Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:48 pm

everdrone wrote:jcm900
epiphone valve junior combo

just disappointments, never got any enjoyment out of these two at all! they are for sale...
funny...the valve junior combo is probably my favorite amp, at least for drive sounds!

i love it, but there are different versions out there that sound different....there were some i played that i didn´t like that much.

anyway...different strokes for different folks!

Jackson5
Tiny Terror

Post by Jackson5 » Tue Nov 06, 2012 4:18 am

i bought a Crate once and it was awful and broke down a lot

Wendigo
Orange Master

Post by Wendigo » Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:48 am

Gtr_Pkr wrote:Peavy Stereo Chorus 2x12. It was okay for my second amp, and it was a step up from the little solid state practice amp I originally got with my Regal guitar from the Montgomery Ward catalog. Hey, it had CHORUS, and TWO CHANNELS!! :lol:
Ha no way....I had the exact same amp and kinda liked it, but only the gorgeous clean sound. I ran a distortion in front of it and it was great. Different strokes I guess. :)

Foef
Orange Master

Post by Foef » Wed Nov 07, 2012 4:30 pm

Worst amp i owned was a Fender Performer 1000 1x12 combo.
Bought it for all the wrong reasons. Awful amp.
Everything else was very nice.
One thing i noticed... I used to own a Peavey Classic 50 2x12 combo way back in the early nineties when it was just released and was stoked about it.
But a few years ago i got to try one again and found it to be very compressed sounding. A bit lifeless, if you will...
Dissapointment. O well...

Grtz, Bert.
Squier 15 (1988)
Mesa/Boogie F50 (2005)
Orange CR60C (2014)

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Factory/438445022903833
http://www.facebook.com/ODcoverband

Bensen
Orange Master

Post by Bensen » Fri Nov 09, 2012 8:22 pm

savage8190 wrote:...I'll be damned if I'm ever without an effects loop again...
Guess I'm weird, even with my old Mesa my only amp with something like an effectsloop I put 99% of the stompboxes in front (also Delay + Reverb). Really like it better that way.

Wolfe
Tiny Terror

Post by Wolfe » Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:55 pm

Every amp I've owned...

I wish I had seen the practicality of modelling before.

I wouldn't mind running a tube power amp, though.
Wolfy'

everdrone
Orange Expert

Post by everdrone » Tue Nov 13, 2012 3:56 pm

philhed wrote:
everdrone wrote:jcm900
epiphone valve junior combo

just disappointments, never got any enjoyment out of these two at all! they are for sale...
funny...the valve junior combo is probably my favorite amp, at least for drive sounds!

i love it, but there are different versions out there that sound different....there were some i played that i didn´t like that much.

anyway...different strokes for different folks!
ya, it is a fine amp, there is not enough power unless it is through a 412, and then there is not enough low end. that cabinet with the 8" speaker is really boxy. yet, the epiphone valve junior combo is wayyyy too loud as a practice amp or for jams at low volumes in an apartment; I got this amp years ago and did research but could not have expected the forum comments to be that wrong
My solo downtuned HEAVY rock project: https://soundcloud.com/earthalliance

Guitarist and Bassist in Fort Worth, TEXAS

TESLA_EL34
Orange Master

Post by TESLA_EL34 » Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:13 am

I dont know maybe im doomed but i get useful tones out of every amp i play!
All of them are very inspiring... the MATAMP is the most inspiring for me sometimes.
But sometimes i prefer the Vox, sometimes the R30, sometimes the Matamp....
More headroom is always good for the dynamics.

I just dont like high gain amps with a too modern voicing like ENGL etc.
accept darkness.

nedcronin
Rocker

Post by nedcronin » Wed Nov 14, 2012 6:55 pm

Fender Hot Rod Deluxe. I bought one when they first came out. Huge let down. They don't make em like they used to!

Thinline_slim
Orange Master

Post by Thinline_slim » Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:43 pm

I wouldn't say that "I wish I never bought" them but I didn't start playing guitar until I was 19 and a very good friend of mine was showing me how to play, although he only had a couple years of experience on me. So both of us really didn't know much about amps or really gear.

At the time we were really into blues and the atypical amp for the blues guys were Fenders. So I went through a whole string of Fenders including the ever touted Vibro-King, which I gigged with a ton. All told I think I owned 6 Fenders (Not all at the same time mind you). Great amps but they never really WOWed me.

I then hopped onto the modeling craze and owned 3 different Vox modelers over the course of 4 years, which I also gigged a ton with.

It wasn't until 2006 and I was in Riverside CA visiting some of my wife's friends. In Riverside there is a killer guitar shop with a lot of higher end stuff and they happened to have an Orange Tiny Terror, which I stumbled across online but I'd never really heard of Orange amps outside of some of the vintage stuff. I went in to play a hardwired Vox AC30, which was good but then I plugged into the TT...... :shock:

I've been a huge fan of Oranges since. Like I said I don't really regret those other amps, but it sure would have saved me a boat load of cash if I would have known about Oranges a decade earlier! :x
Jake
OrangePaul wrote:Ok gitar lead to you Jake :D
"One of the 400"

http://www.purevolume.com/JakeMcallasterBand/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;