New here TH100 & PPPC410

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

BillyBlaze

New here TH100 & PPPC410

Post by BillyBlaze » Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:49 pm

Hey guys, I am new here...
I just made a trade for a Orange halfstack.
TH-100 Head
PPPC-410 cab

I am going to pick it up this weekend, havent played or heard them yet but am trading with the notion that if I dont like it I hopefully can flip it to get something else.

I havent been able to find a whole lot of info on this setup and was hoping someone here would be able to help me know the capabilities, & limitations.
The head is mint and the cab looks new with the exception of a minor cosmetic blemish.

I am primarily a Blues player and have been using a Mesa Lonestar Special.
Any help is always appreciated! : )

Eddie Famine
Orange Hero

Re: New here TH100 & PPPC410

Post by Eddie Famine » Thu Nov 01, 2012 2:45 pm

Not a lot of TH 100's on here so we'll be looking to hear what you think.

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:50 pm

Yeah, let us know what you think of it when you get it!

I believe the TH100 should be polyvalent enough to get a good clean and dirty blues going - it may be one of the most modern sounding orange out there I think though, but modern or vintage voiced, blues will be in there.

Looking forward to your review!!!!
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

Ronnie Robinson
Orange Master

Post by Ronnie Robinson » Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:42 am

First off - Welcome

I bet that is going to sound fantastic .....do tell..
Orange AD30 HTC
Orange Rocker 15 terror
Orange Tiny Terror HW,
Fender elite Start, Gibson SG 61,fender telecaster

Previously Owned - Rocker 30

chuckbat1
Tiny Terror

Post by chuckbat1 » Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:02 am

Sounds like a great setup. I'm looking too get TH30 myself.
Tiny Terror
TH30H
Orange PPC 1x12 Cabs

BillyBlaze

Post by BillyBlaze » Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:03 pm

Thanks for the input guys : )

I am mainly intrested in the clean channel.
I have a OKKO Diablo Gain Plus that I use for dirty work, and love it for that purpose....I ended up never using the Mesa's second channel.
I am also about to get a EH POG 2 for some keyboard sounds and I am using a BOSS RT-20 for leslie sounds.
Speaking about the OKKO, I also have the Coca Comp and it stays on all the time....love it!!
The only other pedals I am using are MXR Black Chorus, and BOSS DD6 Delay.

My hope is that the Pedals will work well with the amp and I am able to get a warm clean going.

I am concerned about the 10's also as I usually preffer 12's

I will be picking it up within a week and will post pics and my findings as to contribute to the community : )

BillyBlaze

Post by BillyBlaze » Sat Nov 10, 2012 1:27 pm

Alright, so I got the TH-100 and PPC-410
The head has INSANE power on ANY setting...its truly a beast of an amp.
I am able to dial in a good clean even with the 410 cab.

However...
My ears do not like 10's and I was concerned about this from the start but it was a really good deal so I did it anyhow.
I am currently looking for a PPC-2X12 cab and will try and sell the PPC-410.
I had a pretty good offer on a 4X12 custom Mesa cab but really just dont want to haul all that stuff around.

I feel I am probably going to end up getting stuck with the 410 though.

I am going to order a custom road case for the head Monday.

everdrone
Orange Expert

Post by everdrone » Sat Nov 10, 2012 5:54 pm

I have the orange 212ppc and it sounds great, I just dont like the weight and size of it, but I plan to put neodymiums in it to reduce weight by 15 pounds

ya that 410 is a heavy monster! you might wanna keep it for a bit then sell it, just so you get your moneys worth and then get used to it then you can compare better...
My solo downtuned HEAVY rock project: https://soundcloud.com/earthalliance

Guitarist and Bassist in Fort Worth, TEXAS

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Sat Nov 10, 2012 9:48 pm

Congrats!!!!!

What speakers are in that PPC410?
Are they the G10N40?

I love the one that's in my AD5 - it gets this brilliant brittle cryatline clean/dirty cleans tones with my strat, something really beautiful.

Certainly something the V30s in my PPC212 can't reproduce - though thet have other qualities!!!!

So, do you think the TH100 will do for your blues? How are you getting on so far?
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

BillyBlaze

Post by BillyBlaze » Sun Nov 11, 2012 2:50 pm

That sounds right on the speakers in the PPC-410 but not absolutely sure.
And you are right it does have some great qualities...so not downing it but I just think its missing something to my ears but I am and have always been a big 12in speaker guy.

Yes! I am able to get what I want out of the TH-100 it does everything I want and is frankly almost too much for what I am doing...lol
I needed something with a high clean headroom and this head has that, although I do miss my mid controls, but I can work around it.

I am using a POG 2 for Hammond sounds and miss that little extra Bass push I would get from 12in speaks...the 410 really accentuates the upper mid frequencies but loses some of the low mid frequencies and low frequencies...its punchy but to me lacks a bit of balls in the lows.

I found a guy on my local "music gear forum" that was selling an Orange PPC-212 and I almost had it but a fellow beat me there with cash in hand :( so the search continues, I am also considering a Mesa 212 prefferably with "Black Shadows" but havent found anyone to swap for the 410 yet and cant have too much in music gear I am not using....so I will likely be playing through the 410 for a couple months till the right deal comes along.

The head is just a massive beast in terms of sheer take your head off SPL levels, we are talking arena rock at its best.
I cant imagine anyone cranking one of these past 5...lol Or at least I wouldnt want to be in front of it....lol
It's superbly clean and cant wait to hear it pushing a couple of 12's
I know I will be pleased with it even more once I have it paired up with the right cabinet.

So I will be ordering a road case for it asap as to keep it in its current pristine condition, and will do the same for whatever 2x12 cab I end up with.

I never thought of Orange as being something I would like that much but glad I made the deal....anticipation is killing me tho to get it on with some 12's...haha

On a side note the new POG 2 I got is pretty amazing at creating Hammond sounds but isnt working as well as I had hoped with the BOSS RT-20 Leslie simulator I have it paired with although this could be the 10's not being quite up to recreating the lows properly enough to make it stand out as it should.
It seems the RT-20 isnt as pronounced as it is in stand alone fashion.

Wolfe
Tiny Terror

Post by Wolfe » Sun Nov 11, 2012 8:38 pm

I have a suggestion:

instead of selling the ppc410 keep it but also buy a ppc212OB and use them in a stack configuration.

you'll get the high end detail from the 10s and the open back 2x12 will "fill the room".
Wolfy'

Randy Bass
Lord of Orange

Post by Randy Bass » Sun Nov 11, 2012 10:41 pm

Wolfe wrote:I have a suggestion:

instead of selling the ppc410 keep it but also buy a ppc212OB and use them in a stack configuration.

you'll get the high end detail from the 10s and the open back 2x12 will "fill the room".
+1

That would be a great combination to compliment your Leslie sounds.

everdrone
Orange Expert

Post by everdrone » Mon Nov 12, 2012 5:35 am

p.s. about mixing cabs, I found this interesting post on phasing:

You'll have phase cancellation anytime you have more than one speaker. If the speakers are wired in phase, get a half wavelength difference in distance from your ear to the two speakers and they cancel. If the speakers are out of phase, they'll be cancelling at equal distances, and reinforce at half wavelength difference distance. This is what causes comb filtering between multiple drivers in a single cab, its the same thing going on between the speakers in multiple cabinets causing phase cancellation.

So don't think you can avoid it by using matching, identical cabs.

Mixing different cabs is way more unpredictable.
My solo downtuned HEAVY rock project: https://soundcloud.com/earthalliance

Guitarist and Bassist in Fort Worth, TEXAS

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Post by a.hun » Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:26 am

Bit OT but it looks to me as if the PPC410 has been discontinued. That right?

Not listed on the new Orange website, but also not being listed any more in the shop websites I just checked. If so thats probably because the drivers they used were a lot less efficient so people found the cab was nowhere near as loud as a V.30 cab.

If you are finding the TH100 very loud through it BillyBlaze don't expect something like a V.30 loaded 2x12 to be any quieter because it won't. I'd expect the opposite!

If the PPC410 does use the G10N40, (I'm not sure either!), well those drivers are only rated at 95dB/W/m (meaning you'd get 95dB for one watt power input measured at 1 meter distance). Doubling the number of speakers typically adds about a couple of decibels overall sensitivity, so two of them would be 97dB, and four about 99dB efficient. A single V.30 though is already rated at 100dB, so a V.30 loaded 2x12 is about 102dB efficient. That 3dB difference sounds exactly the same as a doubling of amp power would! :shock:

Oh and if you went for a Mesa and the Black Shadows fitted are the 90W MC90s, expect it to be even louder. Those are really loud speakers - and great sounding ones too. A single MC90 in an open cab is easily up there with a Greenback loaded 4x12 in terms of sheer loudness. Just so you know! :wink:

Shame really because WITH THE RIGHT DRIVERS 4x10 cabs can sound great! Maybe something for Orange to think about...?

Andy.
aNDyH. :wink:

Ever tried to outstare a mirror?

In the bathtub of history the truth is harder to hold than the soap, and much more difficult to find!