Earphones... any head-fi type guys here?

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

irish_admiral
Prince of Orange

Earphones... any head-fi type guys here?

Post by irish_admiral » Sat Sep 29, 2012 4:24 pm

Ok, so i'm looking for a pair of cheap earphones (sub £40). I already have a very nice pair of custom moulded twin driver IEMs, so please keep within the limit! No need to spend more - just want them for everyday use and slinging in with my office bag...

I've had a read around, and have seem the Klipsch S4 recommended, along with the Sennheiser CX300 II and the Brainwavz M2. I'm particularly interested in the last, but wondered if anyone had any more experience to pass on?

Ta!
Joe

G(sus) saves

Orange AD15, Matamp 1224, Fender 'JD' Tele, G&L ASAT, Duesenberg Starplayer TV, Eggle Kanuga, Avalon D25, Warwick FNA Jazzman, Eden Nemesis / Bergantino EX112S, Eastman MD305 & other stuff...

ScottyDanger
Orange Hero

Re: Earphones... any head-fi type guys here?

Post by ScottyDanger » Sat Sep 29, 2012 5:22 pm

As far as just slinging around, I've found Sennheiser is the best bang-for-the-buck. Why not use your IEMs on the go?

I have a pair of modded Grados, they're not great for on the subway, but in the office they rock because the open-back design lets me hear when a coworker is asking me for something. It's nice not being totally shut out of the world.
SG Standard / Telecaster / Cyclone
Fender '65 Princeton Reverb RI
MXR - M102 / M103 / M169

irish_admiral
Prince of Orange

Post by irish_admiral » Sat Sep 29, 2012 7:03 pm

I sometimes do, but want a cheap pair also that aren't as difficult to pull out and put back as my moulded ones!

I tried the Senns once before and didn't particularly like them, so was interested if anyone had any other experiences with other makes...
Joe

G(sus) saves

Orange AD15, Matamp 1224, Fender 'JD' Tele, G&L ASAT, Duesenberg Starplayer TV, Eggle Kanuga, Avalon D25, Warwick FNA Jazzman, Eden Nemesis / Bergantino EX112S, Eastman MD305 & other stuff...

irish_admiral
Prince of Orange

Post by irish_admiral » Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:37 am

Went for the M2's in the end as MP4nation were selling them with a free Fii0 headphone amp... happy days.
Joe

G(sus) saves

James74

Post by James74 » Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:36 am

Sennheiser cx300ii are excellent for the money. I went on a mission to find something else a bit better when mine broke but ended up returning them all and getting another pair. Great isolation and bass response. I did have a pair of shure se215 that were superb but I only end up losing or breaking them so stick with the sennheisers now.
Patrick Eggle Berlin -1994
Fender Stratocaster - 1977
Orange TH30 and 2x12 OB Cab
EHX - Electric Mistress
EHX - Memory Boy
EHX - Little Big Muff
Boss - SD1
Boss - GE7
Vox - Wha

irish_admiral
Prince of Orange

Post by irish_admiral » Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:48 pm

Fair play. I'll let you know how the M2s work out. I did used to have some of the Sennheiser CX300, but they broke real fast on me, so I didn't necessarily want to go straight back to them.
Joe

G(sus) saves

Nork
Orange Master

Post by Nork » Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:07 pm

hey -

I'm just looking at this, and I'm looking for the same thing. I've sworn by SkullCandy's because they've been particularly decent and a little cheap to replace (20$ on ebay). But they're definitely not great, and they're starting to crap out. This looks like a good deal with the free Fedex and headphone amp. Have you ever used these?
--Nick

Parker Nitefly SA -> TC PolyTune -> OLER Box ->Timmy -> MP SHOD -> Eventide TimeFactor/e3 -> Orange TT -> Avatar 112 (Weber 1225)

conkerandco
Tiny Terror

Post by conkerandco » Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:22 pm

I've just started a weekend job at Bose and would definitely recommend their IE2's!

irish_admiral
Prince of Orange

Post by irish_admiral » Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:19 pm

What I ended up doing was a bunch of research on the HeadFi forums. A few of their guys there have done pretty wide-ranging reviews of earphones and give you some summary comments on each types depending on what sort of function you want to use them for. I found it very useful when settling on the M2 just as an everyday listening earphone.

I may go back and get some M5 as they're more neutral, and use those for on-stage monitoring.
Joe

G(sus) saves