will it be a waste of money ?

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

rocker30man
Tiny Terror

will it be a waste of money ?

Post by rocker30man » Sat Sep 22, 2012 10:18 pm

I have all my Orange tube amps, (Rocker 30 and Tiny Terror with 1 x 12 cab and 2 x 12 cab) in a room at the end of garden.
My son plays drums and i wanted a cheap amp to leave in my house so i could jam along with my son while he plays drums, got sick of carrying amps and cabs into house all time.
Been looking at Fender Mustang 2 modelling amp 40 watt etc you can pick them up for £150 new
Will i be dissapointed if i get one ? After playing tube amps for a long while ? Tried one at a local shop but could not crank it to drum levels in store so was unsure ?
Just thought once set up it will be an easy option, not having to carry amps and cabs and pedals back and forth all the time ?

Thanks

Rickenbacker 330
Fender Telecaster
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Gibson Les Paul Junior

Orange Rocker 30 head
Orange PPC212
Vox AC30c2
Marshall DSL 50
Marshall 1960A
Blackstar HT1

ironlung40
Orange Master

Re: will it be a waste of money ?

Post by ironlung40 » Sun Sep 23, 2012 12:46 am

rocker30man wrote:I have all my Orange tube amps, (Rocker 30 and Tiny Terror with 1 x 12 cab and 2 x 12 cab) in a room at the end of garden.
My son plays drums and i wanted a cheap amp to leave in my house so i could jam along with my son while he plays drums, got sick of carrying amps and cabs into house all time.
Been looking at Fender Mustang 2 modelling amp 40 watt etc you can pick them up for £150 new
Will i be dissapointed if i get one ? After playing tube amps for a long while ? Tried one at a local shop but could not crank it to drum levels in store so was unsure ?
Just thought once set up it will be an easy option, not having to carry amps and cabs and pedals back and forth all the time ?

Thanks
I would think you would be disappointed. Besides, the Tiny Terror is the most convenient amp ever to lug back and forth. I can't see that being a problem moving it back and forth.

Why not leave the TT in with the drums and play the R30 in the other room? I mean you have 2 amps already, and only 2 locations, so that is a no brainer. Sounds like you're looking for an excuse to have G.A.S. :lol: You should drop by my other thread about limiting your time in gear forums.
Sincerely,
Ironlung40
OR120 Pix/text
Tiny Terror HW
Rocker 30 combo
Rockververb 100 MKII
Thunderverb 200
Gibson SG 61 RI

everdrone
Orange Expert

Post by everdrone » Sun Sep 23, 2012 1:10 am

I have bought modelers and have not been disappointed, but yet I have not been pleased :mrgreen:
My solo downtuned HEAVY rock project: https://soundcloud.com/earthalliance

Guitarist and Bassist in Fort Worth, TEXAS

msmith4432
Orange Master

Post by msmith4432 » Sun Sep 23, 2012 2:34 am

Never bought a molder that I want to do anything with other than practice in my room.
Mesa boogie Stiletto ace
OR 50 40th anniversary
Orange CS50
Orange 2x12 ppc
Mesa Boogie wide body 1x12
Gibson Les Paul custom black beauty(maple Fretboard)
Gibson Les Paul custom 58 vos
Gibson les Paul custom 57 vos

hitgar
Orange Hero

Post by hitgar » Sun Sep 23, 2012 3:25 am

If you are thinking about the Fender Mustang then I would go for the 3. I have a Mustang 1 that I modded so I can put it through a 212 and it sounds pretty good just for messing around but I still wish I waited for the 3 to come out. Here is a link I found on the sound quality. However, I do agree with ironlung40. I'd leave the TT in the house and the Rocker in the other room.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9tW64njcLU" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Ronnie Robinson
Orange Master

Post by Ronnie Robinson » Sun Sep 23, 2012 9:02 am

ironlung40 wrote:
rocker30man wrote:I have all my Orange tube amps, (Rocker 30 and Tiny Terror with 1 x 12 cab and 2 x 12 cab) in a room at the end of garden.

Thanks
I would think you would be disappointed. Besides, the Tiny Terror is the most convenient amp ever to lug back and forth. I can't see that being a problem moving it back and forth.

Why not leave the TT in with the drums and play the R30 in the other room? I mean you have 2 amps already, and only 2 locations, so that is a no brainer.
+1 :wink:
Orange AD30 HTC
Orange Rocker 15 terror
Orange Tiny Terror HW,
Fender elite Start, Gibson SG 61,fender telecaster

Previously Owned - Rocker 30

Thinline_slim
Orange Master

Post by Thinline_slim » Sun Sep 23, 2012 2:52 pm

If you have a TT head and you really want a permanent fixture in your sons room just get you an inexpensive used 1x12 with a good speaker for that room. Then all your moving back and forth is the TT
Jake
OrangePaul wrote:Ok gitar lead to you Jake :D
"One of the 400"

http://www.purevolume.com/JakeMcallasterBand/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Sun Sep 23, 2012 8:50 pm

I'd either use the TT or get another valve amp second hand.

SS amps lose their value badly - a small 2nd hand valve amp will keep its value and probably sound better!
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

David Verb
Rocker

Post by David Verb » Fri Sep 28, 2012 3:29 am

Seriously? You have 3 tube amps already... :roll:
Amp
Orange Rockerverb 100

Cabinet
PPC 412 HP 8

rocker30man
Tiny Terror

Post by rocker30man » Fri Sep 28, 2012 8:00 pm

Oh well i took the plunge ! a couple of nights ago I was reading some reviews on the Fender Mustang 3 and clicked a few buttons and bought one from Germany, It was cheaper than buying from UK , £208 delivered and it came today, a lot of amp for the money, un packed it this morn and lots of playing about ! Thing that swayed me i dont jam much with my son but last time involved carring amp head, cab, leads and a few pedals, tuner etc so there was no just one song thing it took 20 mins to set up lots of un plugging and plugging etc

This thing has the lot, one box solution, built in tuner as well, had a quick play this morn before work and all sounded good, seems easier than the other modellers ive had, just downloaded the software to pc going to do a bit of preset editing and have downloaded some song presets and band backing tracks so off to play for £200 you get a lot for your money !

Rickenbacker 330
Fender Telecaster
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Gibson Les Paul Junior

Orange Rocker 30 head
Orange PPC212
Vox AC30c2
Marshall DSL 50
Marshall 1960A
Blackstar HT1