Time Based Effects

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Argon

Time Based Effects

Post by Argon » Wed Sep 05, 2012 7:29 pm

I usually play live with a pretty dry sound, but just picked up a new TC Hall of Fame. Some of the settings are really really nice. In not into the etheral settings but I am digging the nice subtle tail I can get from the hall or plate mode.

Anyway, it has also been quite some time since I used my delay.

I am curious what is your effect of choice to add some depth to your sound. Do you prefer delay? Reverb? Do you ever mix the two? and if you do, do you run the delay into the verb?

baytamusic
Duke of Orange

Re: Time Based Effects

Post by baytamusic » Wed Sep 05, 2012 7:42 pm

I use a Memory Boy analog delay straight into my R30. I only use it on leads/solos on occasion and I set it up like a slap back with a slight chorus-y type of sound. Fast with only one repeat. I have a Digiverb reverb pedal also, but I don't use it in the band. I don't really like the reverb out front I don't think, and I'm not sure I like the digital reverb either. I prefer amps that have built in tube driven reverb over pedals myself, which I would probably use if reverb were important in my sound.

ECWeagles
Orange Master

Post by ECWeagles » Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:59 pm

Interesting question.

I know a lot of the folk into ambient stuff will swear you need both rverb and delay but I think for most that's probably not true.

For me, I used delay a lot, then I bought myself a reverb pedal and they didn't use my delay for ages. But then I had to sell the reverb and I went back to using delay.

And then I bought a Timeline!

I find that will do all the jobs I need from it and that I don't miss reverb at all.
Jeremy

Many guitars, many pedals.

"God is most glorified in us, when we are most satisfied in him." John Piper

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Post by Jondog » Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:23 pm

I use whatever doesn't sound like crud

Stringjunkie
Tiny Terror

Post by Stringjunkie » Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:24 am

I have a Hall of Fame, Flashback and an MXR ZW chorus and I use them all in my Dark terror loop. I was using delay>reverb>chorus and I like that a lot but I have switched lately to chorus>delay with my OD set for fairly clean boost out front and I'm thinking I might like that also. Not digging reverb on the second setup.

Argon

Post by Argon » Thu Sep 06, 2012 1:05 am

Hey String...

were the pedals always on, or did you fire them up as desired? Curious how you set the delay and verb if played together.

Kind of seems the delay may be the more common approach for people.
My JSX combo has a spring tank...but I never used it...found it too present and wet.

With my Dark Terror, needed something new....thus the HOF. The Paul gilbert tone is pretty decent.

Van Cleef
Orange Master

Post by Van Cleef » Thu Sep 06, 2012 1:14 am

I use the MXR carbon copy dialed in as a reverb (no repeats, slight trail etc) it thickens up leads beautifully - and non-digitally...
LIKE SPACE ROCK? = VAN CLEEF @ BANDCAMP http://vancleef.bandcamp.com/

jason41224
Orange Master

Post by jason41224 » Thu Sep 06, 2012 7:03 am

i'm a delay whore. i have a Timeline and i use it a lot. reverb's cool too, sure, but not into a dirty amp.
Jason
Rocker 30
too many pedals

Argon

Post by Argon » Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:33 am

Good point re clean or dirty.

Clean takes reverb really well. Dirty, which I play alot, and what I expect most players here do too, is trickier business.

Maybe that is why delay seems more popular of the two as it lends itself better to crunch and high gain?

danbond
Orange Expert

Post by danbond » Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:01 am

I use delay on most of my parts that would be considered "lead" parts, but also on arpeggio-type parts. Even really subtle delay adds something nice.

I use the Memory Man with Hazarai - it's got a great "decay" knob which adds reverb to the delays, and the filter means I can have dark, or bright sounding repeats. It's a great pedal for live use, as you can save pre-sets and then know you have the right settings for each song.

I use reverb only as a heavy-effect now. For parts that are supposed to sound intentionally drenched in reverb. I don't think you need subtle reverb on clean guitar sounds much in a live setting, and for ambience, I prefer delay over reverb.

Stringjunkie
Tiny Terror

Post by Stringjunkie » Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:35 am

Argon wrote:Hey String...

were the pedals always on, or did you fire them up as desired? Curious how you set the delay and verb if played together.

Kind of seems the delay may be the more common approach for people.
My JSX combo has a spring tank...but I never used it...found it too present and wet.

With my Dark Terror, needed something new....thus the HOF. The Paul gilbert tone is pretty decent.
When I had all 3 in the loop I used them all at once. Then of course I had to change it. Now I have dropped the gain back on the amp and moved the shape knob further to the left with the OD for more juice. I will post later with the setting I used. Everything is set very subtle so that it all adds up in my ears. On the verb I tend to stay with analog, spring or plate. Haven't really played with the tone print yet.
My real issue was that I had the day off and was bored..

Stringjunkie
Tiny Terror

Post by Stringjunkie » Fri Sep 07, 2012 2:14 am

So I put them all back in the loop and set up as listed (all #s as in o'clock position)
My chorus first >my HoF= decay-11, tone to taste, tile setting, and vol. 10-11 > flashback= analog setting, delay-10, feedback -11, volume 10-11.
The switches are up to you I use the long delay on the reverb and the 1st or 2nd position on the delay (mostly 2nd).
I use a modified Boss SD1 in front of the amp and my HBs are pretty friggin hot, like 14.6 on the bridge. I usually dial em back a bit.
All of my pedals sound good alone or added up. Not too much but just enough.
My Dark Terror lately has the shape button just left of noon (usually has been just right of until recently) and the gain about 1. Volume to taste. I also have a Tung Sol in V1 instead of the JJ and that alone was a great tone upgrade.