Moen GEC9 loop system - gotta get me one

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

baytamusic
Duke of Orange

Moen GEC9 loop system - gotta get me one

Post by baytamusic » Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:25 pm

So I've been searching for a pedal board switching system because I'm totally sick of the pedal dance. I was originally going to get a loop-master channel switcher/effects loop thingy. But then I really started to think about what I wanted to accomplish. I'd much prefer to program different tones for different parts of songs. I use a fair amount of pedals for very subtle tone changes and also switch amp channels a ton. The best system I've found for the price is the Moen GEC9 for both simplicity and features. It's also priced really fair at $299. Nine loops, where three can be used for amp controls like reverb and trem as well as channel switching. It has 5 presets with ten banks which seems good enough for me. I don't think there are any songs where I have five different pedal/channel configurations.

I think I'll order one soon. This should really help me concentrate on playing better in a live setting as apposed to thinking about all the pedals I need to hit at any given change. It'll be nice to go from say an overdrive sound straight to my clean channel with an overdrive pedal, reverb, and delay in one push of a button.

Just thought I'd share this thing with you guys.

mr_william
Orange Master

Re: Moen GEC9 loop system - gotta get me one

Post by mr_william » Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:47 pm

i've got a wobo proglooper - similar to the gigrig - uses dipswitches to select the presets.

the moen stuff looks cool.

the wobo's got 4 loops though it's split into 2 sections, a/b...

with the moen, it'd be possible to put an 'always on' loop, to achieve the same thing; basically putting the amps preamp in a loop, so you can then stick fx's in the loop and have em after you're drive. assuming you've got an effects loop!

i may look into upgrading! the moen is pretty cheep too! do they do one with a midi option?
Will.
Bink wrote:Will you're a genius!! :D
Randy Bass wrote:For the record, mr_william is a genius :D .

baytamusic
Duke of Orange

Post by baytamusic » Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:58 pm

No midi. I don't have an effects loop. I'll just use the latch loops to change amp channels.

I looked at a ton of these, this one makes the most sense if you don't need midi at all.

mr_william
Orange Master

Post by mr_william » Tue Jul 24, 2012 3:41 pm

the only reason i'd be interested in midi is, i picked up an m5 ages ago... and i'd use the different presets on the moen to control what effect i'm using - kinda speeding up the preset chosing on the m5, allowing me to get the most out of it..

obvously the moen wouldnt support it though!
Will.

baytamusic
Duke of Orange

Post by baytamusic » Tue Jul 24, 2012 3:56 pm

There's the Rocktron PatchMate Loop 8 Floor that has midi in and out but it has something funky going on with how it selects presets from what I've read. It used to require two button pushes to switch presets, but I think they had a software update to fix this. The newer models may have addressed this:

baytamusic
Duke of Orange

Post by baytamusic » Tue Jul 24, 2012 4:09 pm

Also the dumb thing about the Patchmate is I believe when you're on a preset it lights up which loops are active instead of the preset light, so one could possibly get confused figuring out which preset you're on. Depends I guess.

jason41224
Orange Master

Post by jason41224 » Tue Jul 24, 2012 5:24 pm

i'm in the same boat as you, bayta. although for me i really would't mind just a dedicated drive pedal switcher (ex. preset 1--amp, preset 2--clean, preset 3--overdrive pedal, preset 4--fuzz, preset 5--od + solo boost, preset 6--fuzz + boost). i can switch my other FX like delay, vibe, octave, reverb, etc. as i see fit. the only reason i haven't sprang for a Moen yet is because of how damn big it is! it takes up the entire bottom row and 1/2 on a PT2.

i hear Jack Deville is coming out with a new switcher sometime that looks really nice. only 4 loops, but for me, it would be perfect.

another one or your consideration--the Cusack Pedal Board Tamer. it can be used as a regular or programmable looper, no midi, channel switching function, tuner out, AB options, and either 6 or 9 loops. a bit more pricey though, but not nearly as much as say a GigRig or Musicom lab.http://cusackmusic.com/wp/?page_id=20
Jason
Rocker 30
too many pedals

baytamusic
Duke of Orange

Post by baytamusic » Tue Jul 24, 2012 6:46 pm

I looked at those. Too pricy for me! Plus to get channel switching function I think you have to do some weird stuff inside the enclosure.

jason41224
Orange Master

Post by jason41224 » Tue Jul 24, 2012 7:12 pm

^agreed. that's why i'm holding out on the Jack Deville...if it ever comes out. they said April back at Winter NAMM, and that's come and gone.
Jason
Rocker 30
too many pedals

jeepocaster
Tiny Terror

Post by jeepocaster » Tue Jul 24, 2012 7:54 pm

I actually have 2 Moen pedals. A FUZZ-MOO and a SHAKY JIMI. For low-buck stuff, it's suprisingly solid. I am quite pleased with both of them and they have stayed on my pedal board ever since they came in the mail. My only other low-buck pedal is a Rogue Analog Delay that is rumored to be the same as the Belcat/Artec/Moen delays. Works great, too! :wink:

OU818
Orange Master

Post by OU818 » Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:08 pm

I use a GigRig Quartermaster 4.

It works for me as I don't use many pedal variations mid song so all I need to do is turn on whichever I plan on using in that song.
For example, I don't use a chorus and reverb together in the same song so I have both of them in one patch. Delay and Envelope aren't used together so they go in another patch and I only use one dirt at once so the Suhr Riot and Jam Pedals Rattler go in another.

This isn't the final board, it is just a test build I did.
It is missing about 3 pedals here.

Orange Gear:
AD200B MkIII
OBC810

Non-Orange:
Bergantino NXT212
Bergantino Forte D
Woogie Lessie
Laney DBV-410

Basses:
Ernie Ball Stingray 4H
Rickenbacker 4003
Gibson Midtown Signature
Gibson Thunderbird
Gibson Nikki Sixx Thunderbird
Gibson Les Paul Bass

mr_william
Orange Master

Post by mr_william » Wed Jul 25, 2012 5:49 pm

so i read up on the rocktron...

you can select 'preset mode' which is when you press a switch, it selects a number of loops that have been preset.

then it switches back to loop mode - turning it back into a true bypass loop switch.

to enter preset mode, you need to press and hold the mode switch for a few seconds...

that wouldn't work for me!...

maybe as you've said, theres firmware to update it, which could make it play as needed?

theres no physical interface (dip switches) or no graphical interface either! something it lacks compared to the other switchers.

i also think you need to physically connect the loops together with patch chords? though i could be wrong.
Will.

baytamusic
Duke of Orange

Post by baytamusic » Wed Jul 25, 2012 6:24 pm

mr_william wrote:so i read up on the rocktron...

you can select 'preset mode' which is when you press a switch, it selects a number of loops that have been preset.

then it switches back to loop mode - turning it back into a true bypass loop switch.

to enter preset mode, you need to press and hold the mode switch for a few seconds...

that wouldn't work for me!...

maybe as you've said, theres firmware to update it, which could make it play as needed?
I read more on this. If you make sure you get the newest V2 model it has a "preset" mode where you can just select presets with one switch click.
mr_william wrote: theres no physical interface (dip switches) or no graphical interface either! something it lacks compared to the other switchers.
This is true and lame.
mr_william wrote: i also think you need to physically connect the loops together with patch chords? though i could be wrong.
This also true and lame.

The Lo Lands
Tiny Terror

Post by The Lo Lands » Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:40 am

It's an old topic i know :-) Last week i bought the Moen GEC-9 and this is certainly the best looper i've owned if you don't need midi! I've had the G Lab GSC-1 with 4 loops and the Buzz Electronics 7 looper- with amp switch which causes me alot of issues so i returned this unit.

What i really like about the Moen is the fact that it handles the amp switching of my Orange amp well. The other loopers i had worked vica versa, so in standby mode it activates the drive channel of my Rockerverb 50H MKI instead of the clean channel. The Moen activates the clean channel just as you use the original Oranger amp switcher!

What i also like is the automated saving of the presets. When you are playing live and just want to add a effect, just lean down on your knees and activate the effect without any hassles :-)

In comparison with the Rockmate the switching distance of the Moen is larger so better in a live situation. I read alot of complaints about this online with the Rockmate narrow switching distance. Just you should know!

The three seperate loops on the Moen i use for amp channel switching (clean/drive) and one loop in conjunction with my amp fx-loop to activate the Nova Modulator. I've also got the Nova Delay which i use on the fly because of the spill over which i really like!! And i've got one separate loop empty/not used to hook up a new pedal in the near future :-)

This is a pic of my recent pedalboard with the Moen:

Listen to the music:

http://thelolandsmusic.bandpage.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.youtube.com/user/thelolands1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

danbond
Orange Expert

Post by danbond » Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:25 pm

This all looks so confusing, but I worry that I will be heading down this route soon enough.

I currently use a TB bypass loop for all my distortion pedals, so I can go from "everything on" to "everything off" with one click. It's great.

BUT NOW I NEED MORE!!