NAD!! Tiny Terror 10" speaker Combo

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

myboss57
Orange Master

Post by myboss57 » Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:54 pm

So I was going to just try and find a decent 2x12 cab to pair with my Crate Powerblock, for at home use. But I've wanted a TT for awhile. So I went to the local shop today and walked out with this little guy! I've been GASing for one for awhile for home use - even though it's got waaaaay more power than I'd ever need at home. But I just love the tones from it, and the simplicity of it all. Sorry about the crappy crap cell phone pic...
Oh, and the cool thing about buying a new, in box, Orange... is you get a bunch of stickers that come with it! This is, in fact, the first Orange product that I've purchased brand new!
Gibson SG Standard
http://www.nightmovesmd.bandcamp.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Sovtek Mig 100h
TC Alter Ego
Mesa Oversized 412
Prev amps: 90s OD120, Tiny Terror, Rockerverb 100mk1

Thinline_slim
Orange Master

Re: NAD!! Tiny Terror 10" speaker Combo

Post by Thinline_slim » Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:56 pm

Congrats!

See how you get along with it with the stock Celestion speaker but if that doesn't really excite you I highly recommend a well broken in Eminence Ramrod. Great speaker paired with the TT, IMO.
Jake
OrangePaul wrote:Ok gitar lead to you Jake :D
"One of the 400"

http://www.purevolume.com/JakeMcallasterBand/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mrjones2004x
Orange Master

Post by Mrjones2004x » Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:01 pm

Nice! How's the 10" compared to a 12? How's the lows? Often thought about one
Tone is everything

Randy Bass
Lord of Orange

Post by Randy Bass » Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:31 pm

Good choice. The TT combo is awesome. I am also curious to hear what you think of the stock speaker.

everdrone
Orange Expert

Post by everdrone » Thu Jun 28, 2012 3:15 am

cool, I have been gassing over those forever, everyone on the forum seems to think the 12" is the cats pajamas but I bet the 10" is pretty cool
My solo downtuned HEAVY rock project: https://soundcloud.com/earthalliance

Guitarist and Bassist in Fort Worth, TEXAS

mr_william
Orange Master

Post by mr_william » Thu Jun 28, 2012 6:11 am

i didnt realise it came in with a 10" did they offer this option at the combo's launch?

nice one!
Will.
Bink wrote:Will you're a genius!! :D
Randy Bass wrote:For the record, mr_william is a genius :D .

DiabloS
Orange Master

Post by DiabloS » Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:38 am

Nice, congrats! :D
DOWNLOAD THE DIABLO STRANGE EP FOR FREE HERE -> http://diablostrange.bandcamp.com

Currently own:
Dual Terror
Micro Terror
PPC212OB

Used to own:
Thunderverb 50
Rocker 30
Tiny Terror

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Thu Jun 28, 2012 12:07 pm

Congrats!

I think you should like it - that little speaker has a lot of qualities, it's bright and very articulate - it will benefit from getting broken in though, that's for sure!
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

myboss57
Orange Master

Post by myboss57 » Thu Jun 28, 2012 12:52 pm

So my thoughts on playing for a bit yesterday.

I like it, A LOT, so far. The stock 10" speaker is punchy, and has plenty of low end, IMO. On the 7 watt setting, I dimed the volume and cranked the gain, and my dogs darted from the room (or possibly were thrown out of the room ala' Marty McFly in Back in the Future). It. Is. Loud. I think I like the 15 watt setting better, however. It seems fuller to me, even at low volumes. The tone knob is very effective, and there is plenty of gain on tap!
I was planning on either getting a cheap-o solid state or just a speaker cab for my Powerblock, but I am thrilled that I decided to just put the money and get one of these as I think it's more inspiring in tone, and closer to the feel of my OD (not that it sounds like it, but being a tube Orange amp, and being very simple - yet versatile - it reminds me of the OD's characteristics).

I didn't realize that they had a 10" speaker option either (weird thing, is the 10" is 40 Watts, whereas the 12" is a 30 watter). I went to the shop's website (Bills Music in Catonsville, MD) and they had the Tiny Terror combo on there for waaaaaay less than Guitar Center's price. However, I hadn't realized that I was comparing it to the 12" at Guitar Center (and the 12" at Bills was the same price). So I got to the shop and was like, "this said <Price> on the website, but the tag says <higher price>." The guy then told me that the price I was looking at was for the 10" speaker combo. Mind Blown, at that point. haha. So he brought out the one 10" combo they had left in stock, in the box, and I plugged in. Didn't get to A/B it with the 12", but for the price (and with that TT tone still very apparent) I couldn't leave without it!

I don't think one can go wrong with the 10" speaker option!
Gibson SG Standard
http://www.nightmovesmd.bandcamp.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Sovtek Mig 100h
TC Alter Ego
Mesa Oversized 412

baytamusic
Duke of Orange

Post by baytamusic » Thu Jun 28, 2012 1:02 pm

Ya done good! You can always hook it up to another cab if you feel like it.

myboss57
Orange Master

Post by myboss57 » Thu Jun 28, 2012 2:32 pm

baytamusic wrote:Ya done good! You can always hook it up to another cab if you feel like it.
Exactly my thinking there! If I end up with a 2x12 down the line - it could be a real sweet setup!
Gibson SG Standard
Sovtek Mig 100h
TC Alter Ego
Mesa Oversized 412

indianDYsummer
Orange Master

Post by indianDYsummer » Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:56 pm

Congrats! Gotta love the TT combos. I received an OR15 yesterday but it has an absurd amount of noise even on clean settings so I'm sending it back. Its not valves (tried swapping), so I bet a replacement will be better.

The amp sounded awesome but I may just get a TT head instead until I some time has passed for the or15 manufacturing bugs to be worked out.

baytamusic
Duke of Orange

Post by baytamusic » Fri Jun 29, 2012 12:22 am

indianDYsummer wrote:Congrats! Gotta love the TT combos. I received an OR15 yesterday but it has an absurd amount of noise even on clean settings so I'm sending it back. Its not valves (tried swapping), so I bet a replacement will be better.

The amp sounded awesome but I may just get a TT head instead until I some time has passed for the or15 manufacturing bugs to be worked out.
Was it broke, or just noisy by nature? Not Naughty by Nature though.

indianDYsummer
Orange Master

Post by indianDYsummer » Fri Jun 29, 2012 12:40 am

baytamusic wrote:
indianDYsummer wrote:Congrats! Gotta love the TT combos. I received an OR15 yesterday but it has an absurd amount of noise even on clean settings so I'm sending it back. Its not valves (tried swapping), so I bet a replacement will be better.

Was it broke, or just noisy by nature? Not Naughty by Nature though.

Broke. I could hear a different frequency of noise increase with gain/volume like what would be normally expected. If you were wondering how noisy the amp is with respect to natural noise from distortion, it seemed pretty quiet until you really got up there in the gain.

This absurd noise I'm talking about was independent of amp settings and different guitars. With gain and MV set to about 11 o clock, it was as loud as my clean guitar sounds! Basically unusable as is. It was probably just a poor ground connection somewhere in the amp, but my interest in troubleshooting new amps stops at tubes.

David Verb
Rocker

Post by David Verb » Fri Jun 29, 2012 12:57 am

You got stickers???? Where were my Orange stickers? :o
Amp
Orange Rockerverb 100

Cabinet
PPC 412 HP 8