Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

coldfingaz
Rocker

Wampler Crush

Post by coldfingaz » Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:47 pm

Are you guys aware of this?

http://crushthebutton.com/products/wampler-crush

Been missing my Rocker 30 ever since I sold it so I had to spring for one of these... seems pretty cool so far (definitely more of a modern Orange vibe & not so much a vintage Orange thing). Need to spend a lot more time with it, though so far it seems like a pretty cool medium/high gain pedal.

Just did a Search & didn't see it mentioned yet, so thought I'd bring it up.

jason41224
Orange Master

Re: Wampler Crush

Post by jason41224 » Sat Jan 21, 2012 9:19 am

great! i've been searching for the perfect "Orange pedal" for when i don't play with my orange (which is less and less these days), and i had just about given up on it. i tried the EQD Monarch, which was too flubby, and the Catalinbread SCOD, which is very close; nails the midrange content, but has a tad more highs and a tad less lows and overall doesn't sound as 3-dimensional as the Rocker 30.

are you trying to kill me with GAS? ;)
Jason
Rocker 30
too many pedals

hellagnar Brosevelt
Orange Expert

Post by hellagnar Brosevelt » Sun Jan 22, 2012 6:19 pm

I find it funny that the pedal has more knobs than my amp :roll:
http://blackdots.bandcamp.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

enricoromanielo
Rocker

Post by enricoromanielo » Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:44 pm

Just received mine yesterday. Could only play it at really low volumes. Gonna take it to practice soon and really get it opened up. Hope it kicks ass!

Marshall Vintage Modern 2266c
Rocker 30
Reeves Custom 10HG
Orange PPC212 OB
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Fender Telecaster JA90
A few pedals

Boy_Narf
Orange Master

Post by Boy_Narf » Wed Jun 12, 2013 2:42 pm

I have one of these, and was pretty disappointed in it. There is just something about it that isn't right. When I kick it in there is a pretty severe bass and low mid reduction (no matter how I EQ it). For leads however it is pretty good, but rhythm? no thanks.

There are a few pro videos online and it sounds amazing, but I'm sure they are riddled with post EQ/COMP/ETC.

Oh well, it is limited edition :)

enricoromanielo
Rocker

Post by enricoromanielo » Wed Jun 12, 2013 5:24 pm

Boy_Narf wrote:I have one of these, and was pretty disappointed in it. There is just something about it that isn't right. When I kick it in there is a pretty severe bass and low mid reduction (no matter how I EQ it). For leads however it is pretty good, but rhythm? no thanks.

There are a few pro videos online and it sounds amazing, but I'm sure they are riddled with post EQ/COMP/ETC.

Yeah... I was also very dissapointed when I tried it in my practice amp (Roland micro cube) at low volume the other night... Muddy, messy, terrible... My hope is that it kicks in once opened up - which I might be able to do this Sunday at practice in the studio.

Rocker 30
Reeves Custom 10HG
Orange PPC212 OB
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Fender Telecaster JA90
A few pedals

Boy_Narf
Orange Master

Post by Boy_Narf » Thu Jun 13, 2013 4:10 pm

TBH I thought there was something wrong with my pedal at first. To me it feels like they EQ'd it specifically for searing leads. I've never heard a pedal pull out so much of my base tone. It works better stacked with an OD pedal after it, or lower the gain, crank the volume, and kick it in on the dirty channel.

Let me know how it works out for you. Perhaps there is something I am missing.

jason41224
Orange Master

Post by jason41224 » Fri Jun 14, 2013 8:34 am

Boy_Narf wrote:I have one of these, and was pretty disappointed in it. There is just something about it that isn't right. When I kick it in there is a pretty severe bass and low mid reduction (no matter how I EQ it). For leads however it is pretty good, but rhythm? no thanks.

could it be that it's a sonic characteristic of wamplers? I tried a plextortion, a pinnacle, and a paisley and all of them seemed a little light on the low end. it doesn't surprise me that their OIAB would be the same way (though that's completely antithetical to the Orange sound).

i've still yet to hear an Orange-like pedal that I really like. i hope one comes out, and soon.
Jason
Rocker 30
too many pedals

Boy_Narf
Orange Master

Post by Boy_Narf » Fri Jun 14, 2013 3:51 pm

Not sure if it is a characteristic of Wampler pedals. I have an Ecasty OD and I have to reduce the bass a little to keep it uniform with my clean channel.

enricoromanielo
Rocker

Post by enricoromanielo » Fri Jun 14, 2013 5:29 pm

Boy_Narf wrote:Not sure if it is a characteristic of Wampler pedals. I have an Ecasty OD and I have to reduce the bass a little to keep it uniform with my clean channel.
How does the Ecstasy work with the natural channel on your Rocker 30?

Rocker 30
Reeves Custom 10HG
Orange PPC212 OB
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Fender Telecaster JA90
A few pedals

Boy_Narf
Orange Master

Post by Boy_Narf » Fri Jun 14, 2013 7:25 pm

It works well I guess. I don't have experience with very many OD pedals but I like the Ecasty because (to my ears) it sounds completely transparent when kicked in at lower gain levels (bass at 11:00, treble at 13:00).

On the natural channel I use it for a light OD just to get a little hair on the notes. Don't ever need to boost the dirty channel. If you can't get enough gain out of the dirty channel on the R30, you are doing something very wrong!

enricoromanielo
Rocker

Post by enricoromanielo » Fri Jun 14, 2013 7:26 pm

Yeah, I am not concerned about the dirty channel. Just wanted to know how that pedal worked in the natural channel. Thanks!

Rocker 30
Reeves Custom 10HG
Orange PPC212 OB
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Fender Telecaster JA90
A few pedals