Is the Dark Terror tight enough to play things like this?

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

chuckbat1
Tiny Terror

Re: Is the Dark Terror tight enough to play things like this?

Post by chuckbat1 » Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:28 am

jason41224 wrote:^like i said, most people on here (myself included) would say that it could do metal just fine. but kids looking for a Peavey 6505 clone (coughcoughbadmonkeycoughcough) will always b!tch about how it's not tight enough.
This is very true having just traded my 6505 towards the dark terror. It sounded great in the shop. When i got home and hooked up the pedals it blew my socks off. I'm running a BBE sonic stomp and a ge7 EQ through the fx loop. Plus a boss nr2 and ts9 tubescreamer through the front and can get all the sound I want. Not noisy or hissy. Tons more quiet than the peavey. Right now I can't see getting rid of this amp for any reason except to get another orange with two channels. But that ain't happening anytime soon.
Tiny Terror
TH30H
Orange PPC 1x12 Cabs

bradley9in
Tiny Terror

Post by bradley9in » Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:20 am

This is very true having just traded my 6505 towards the dark terror. It sounded great in the shop. When i got home and hooked up the pedals it blew my socks off. I'm running a BBE sonic stomp and a ge7 EQ through the fx loop. Plus a boss nr2 and ts9 tubescreamer through the front and can get all the sound I want. Not noisy or hissy. Tons more quiet than the peavey. Right now I can't see getting rid of this amp for any reason except to get another orange with two channels. But that ain't happening anytime soon.
@chuckbat1 I'm curious, what type of speaker are you running your Dark Terror through? Part of the reason I haven't gotten the DkT yet is simply because I can't decide on a speaker. Silly, I know.

chuckbat1
Tiny Terror

Post by chuckbat1 » Thu Jan 19, 2012 4:22 am

bradley9in wrote:
@chuckbat1 I'm curious, what type of speaker are you running your Dark Terror through? Part of the reason I haven't gotten the DkT yet is simply because I can't decide on a speaker. Silly, I know.
Don't laugh. Believe it or not, just a standard el cheapo Marshall 4x12. I bought it new from gc. Still has the tags on it. I used it as an extension cab for the peavey 6505. But to my ears and most others it sounded great with the peavey and I played the DT through it at the shop and I thought it sounded better. I still plan on getting a 2x12 orange cab when the finances are better. Btw. Closed back is the way to go for the tightness IMHO.
Tiny Terror
TH30H
Orange PPC 1x12 Cabs

Wolfe
Tiny Terror

Post by Wolfe » Mon Feb 13, 2012 4:58 pm

jason41224 wrote:^like i said, most people on here (myself included) would say that it could do metal just fine. but kids looking for a Peavey 6505 clone (coughcoughbadmonkeycoughcough) will always b!tch about how it's not tight enough.
I don't really like the 6505 tbh... not really tight enough for periphery/djentesque music at all (with out a boost). and a 6505 is tighter than any orange. You'll regret getting a dark terror or any orange for really fast technical music. Sure it is a metal amp, but it's an old-school metal amp. Everyone on here except for myself will be slightly biased. (jason41224 is very biased :lol: ). You want to get yourself an engl or a VHT/Freyette.

orange:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dHybVI-GOZI

engl:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCIc1Pu7 ... ure=relmfu

Fryette:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZCAMUTs ... ure=relmfu

notice how the orange is a massive pile of mush compared to the Fryette and engl. It still sound good but, not as good as the engl or Fryette.
Wolfy'

Icarus
Orange Expert

Post by Icarus » Mon Feb 13, 2012 6:10 pm

Wolfe wrote:
Ground. Hog. Day.
Thunderverb 200
Rockerverb 50
PPC412hp8
PPC212cb
Les Paul Custom
American Standard Tele

eurotrash

Post by eurotrash » Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:20 pm

In response to this, I do own one and run it through a PPC112 with a V30. It's been nothing short of awesome. Here's my chain in case the OP was wondering.
This is my kill-on-contact tone with this amp:

PRS SE > Seymour Duncan Distortion > Monster Cable Studio 100 > BBE Sonic Stomp > Dark Terror
Now, from the effects loop it goes into a Digitech Hardwire Delay then to a Boss EQ (which sucks tone, by the by, will be replaced soon) and then back to the loop's return feed.
I get extremely agressive, tight and well-defined tone out of this particular setup, though, I mainly bought the amp for more "crunch" sounds and bluesy type things (which it actually can do quite well, and honestly is what sold me on this particular amp.)
Stratocasters sound absolutely stunning through it as well at lower gain saturations.
Really, you want to be cranking it pretty loud to get great sound as with any tube amp, but this one is way better than my Dual Rectifier when volume is the main holdback.

Can it do tight heavy music? Yea, it sure can if you have tight sounding equipment. I can upload some clips if you'd like. Just let me know.

jason41224
Orange Master

Post by jason41224 » Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:57 pm

Wolfe wrote:something irrelevant
totally agreed.
Jason
Rocker 30
too many pedals

hellagnar Brosevelt
Orange Expert

Post by hellagnar Brosevelt » Tue Feb 14, 2012 1:28 am

Pretty sure I have writin this before but when we say tight are we talking about trying to make a stage volume amp sound like a guitar sound from a record?

Because if so it aint gonna happen.

Unless you go full rack gear with tons of compressors and preamps and blah and blah and oh you will also need some more BLAH.

When you are done with your $10k rig you can rock out happy knowing that nobody in the club can tell the difference anyway.
http://blackdots.bandcamp.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Randy Bass
Lord of Orange

Post by Randy Bass » Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:18 am

The Dark Terror isn't nearly tight enough to play along to ENGLbert Mid-Humperdink's Greatest Hits.

hellagnar Brosevelt
Orange Expert

Post by hellagnar Brosevelt » Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:29 pm

Randy Bass wrote:The Dark Terror isn't nearly tight enough to play along to ENGLbert Mid-Humperdink's Greatest Hits.
HA Yes!
http://blackdots.bandcamp.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Wolfe
Tiny Terror

Post by Wolfe » Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:38 pm

jason41224 wrote:Possibly the weakest comeback ever?
totally agreed.

Randy Bass wrote:The Dark Terror isn't nearly tight enough to play along to ENGLbert Mid-Humperdink's Greatest Hits.
but it will certainly keep up with the tracks by The Dork of Orange
Wolfy'

Randy Bass
Lord of Orange

Post by Randy Bass » Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:49 am

Whycome everyone's taking the piss again :cry: ?

Gorgar
Tiny Terror

Post by Gorgar » Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:18 am

I've had a couple of Engls, and I haven't played a DT myself, but I can tell you I think my Thunderverb 200 isn't capable of the attack that the Engls had. A Hardwire TL-2 will get it tight enough for my purposes, but I'm not a technical metal player at all, or I'd have kept an Engl.

Oranges are great amps, but I don't think any amp is the single best solution for every possible sound, and technical metal isn't particularly their strong point. I'd still try the DT. If you can get it to do what you want, I think it will be a quality amp you won't regret getting. I'd try a TL-2 in front of it, too. They're decent sounding pedals with loads of attack.

Wolfe
Tiny Terror

Post by Wolfe » Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:10 am

Gorgar wrote:I've had a couple of Engls, and I haven't played a DT myself, but I can tell you I think my Thunderverb 200 isn't capable of the attack that the Engls had. A Hardwire TL-2 will get it tight enough for my purposes, but I'm not a technical metal player at all, or I'd have kept an Engl.

Oranges are great amps, but I don't think any amp is the single best solution for every possible sound, and technical metal isn't particularly their strong point. I'd still try the DT. If you can get it to do what you want, I think it will be a quality amp you won't regret getting. I'd try a TL-2 in front of it, too. They're decent sounding pedals with loads of attack.
agreed. Orange amps are great amps, but they are not designed for tech metal. This is why I'm saying you'll regret it; there's no point in buying something designed for rock and blues (and that kind of stuff) and then trying to make it in a super tight tech metal amp. If you want to play tech metal get something designed for tech metal. Trust me, I've made this mistake before.
Wolfy'