Wireless users - what batteries do you use?

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Le Chat Noir
Duke of Orange

Wireless users - what batteries do you use?

Post by Le Chat Noir » Thu Dec 22, 2011 11:29 am

I've been happily using a wireless for years, but my current set of rechargeable batteries seem to be nearing the end of their life and not holding charge properly so it's time to invest in new ones.

When I started I was whacking in a new non-rechargeable Duracell before every show but the costs really add up!

My current rechargeables are just cheapo store ones and have served me well, but now I've been reading the your average rechargeable may not be the best choice for wireless units as they only put out about 8.4 volts. I've spotted higher powered rechargeables rated at 9.6V, do you think it'd be safe/better to use there?
Teddy
The Blackwater Rebellion: 2-piece alt rock duo http://theblackwaterrebellion.bandcamp.com/
I play an AD30TC

Captain Bb
Tiny Terror

Re: Wireless users - what batteries do you use?

Post by Captain Bb » Thu Dec 22, 2011 11:37 am

I've been using Hahnel Ni-Mh (2000 mAh) batteries in my Relay 30 for about 2 years now without issue.

Think I got mine from a camera shop but you can get them via Amazon too.
Last edited by Captain Bb on Thu Dec 22, 2011 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Le Chat Noir
Duke of Orange

Post by Le Chat Noir » Thu Dec 22, 2011 11:38 am

Having read a bit more it seems 9.6v is unnecessary and may not even work in some cases! Think I'll also stick to regular rechargeables :)
Teddy
The Blackwater Rebellion: 2-piece alt rock duo http://theblackwaterrebellion.bandcamp.com/
I play an AD30TC

Thinline_slim
Orange Master

Post by Thinline_slim » Thu Dec 22, 2011 2:43 pm

I've been using Duracell rechargeable batteries for the last 6 months without problems. They don't last as long as non rechargeables in my R30 but they will easily play a full 5 hour night.
Jake
OrangePaul wrote:Ok gitar lead to you Jake :D
"One of the 400"

http://www.purevolume.com/JakeMcallasterBand/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Thu Dec 22, 2011 3:25 pm

Used to use rechargeables in my wireless but I ended up having problems... batteries too weak, dying unexpectedly, etc. Like you said, rechargeables just don't ever have the same top voltage as a "real" battery. I found that the best results were with fresh Duracells... not eco-friendly but sometimes you have to just wreak the planet.

I just read an interesting piece on the frequencies thing over here- my wireless is in one of the now-banned frequencies. And it looks like almost nothing is safe as far as the allocation of future frequencies- here's the article:

http://www.fohonline.com/current-issue/ ... eless.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Memmo

Post by Memmo » Thu Dec 22, 2011 5:00 pm

I tried rechargables - they die without any warning - with regular batteries the output slowly decreases, so I can always finish the set

Captain Bb
Tiny Terror

Post by Captain Bb » Thu Dec 22, 2011 5:18 pm

While it's true that rechargeables usually have a slightly lower voltage rating, retain that voltage throughout their discharge period and discharge after only a few days a room temperature, I usually charge them before a gig anyway to make sure they don't fail. They can also be sealed in an air tight bag and put the freezer when charged (they keep their charge for months that way).