G12T75 speakers, do they really suck that bad?

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

FFXIhealer

Re: G12T75 speakers, do they really suck that bad?

Post by FFXIhealer » Sun Dec 04, 2011 6:09 pm

I don't have any problem with my G12T-75s in my 1960A Lead cab. Then again, I am playing a Marshall JVM410H through it with tons of power and lots of EQ potential. Then again, I've only heard the Vintage 30s through cab simulators, so me HATING that sound might just be because it's a sim and not the real thing. *shrugs*

If I go Orange, I'll get an Orange PPC cab with it. I figure there's a damned good reason why Orange puts those V-30s in their cabs. But my answer to if the G12T's suck is NO. If they did, they wouldn't be the default go-to speaker for Marshall for the past 30 years.

jason41224
Orange Master

Post by jason41224 » Sun Dec 04, 2011 10:10 pm

myboss57 wrote:But I don't get the harsh thing that everyone talks about. To me, with my guitar and head, the 75s don't sound harsh at all.
totally agree with you. if anything, they sound muffled compared to Vintage 30s.
Jason
Rocker 30
too many pedals

jason41224
Orange Master

Post by jason41224 » Sun Dec 04, 2011 10:15 pm

FFXIhealer wrote:If I go Orange, I'll get an Orange PPC cab with it. I figure there's a damned good reason why Orange puts those V-30s in their cabs. But my answer to if the G12T's suck is NO. If they did, they wouldn't be the default go-to speaker for Marshall for the past 30 years.
i guess you're taking this out of context...the OP is inferring that G12Ts suck with Oranges (this is an Orange forum, after all). for Marshall they work just fine because their natural midrange scoop tames some of Marshall's natural shrill nature (particularly the newer ones).
Jason
Rocker 30
too many pedals

DiabloS
Orange Master

Post by DiabloS » Sun Dec 04, 2011 11:52 pm

jason41224 wrote:
FFXIhealer wrote:If I go Orange, I'll get an Orange PPC cab with it. I figure there's a damned good reason why Orange puts those V-30s in their cabs. But my answer to if the G12T's suck is NO. If they did, they wouldn't be the default go-to speaker for Marshall for the past 30 years.
i guess you're taking this out of context...the OP is inferring that G12Ts suck with Oranges (this is an Orange forum, after all). for Marshall they work just fine because their natural midrange scoop tames some of Marshall's natural shrill nature (particularly the newer ones).
Yeah, I hate making generalized statements for gear/speakers "sucking", even though I kinda did, since lots of gear does well in certain applications and not so much in others. In my case, for the style I play and the sound I like... all other speakers I've tried with an Orange amp sounded far better than the G12T75 to me.

In general, I'm not a huge fan of most modern Marshalls... though I do like the older JCM800's and a few other older models. I would usually much prefer an Orange amp over a Marshall... but with this particular speaker, I would've rated them about equal to my ears... probably because the speaker is suited for taking out the bad stuff from the Marshall... but also taking out the good stuff from the Orange since they're voiced differently. Anyways, no diss to anyone who likes this speaker with their amps.. we probably play a different style of music and it just works for you and not for me! :)
DOWNLOAD THE DIABLO STRANGE EP FOR FREE HERE -> http://diablostrange.bandcamp.com

Currently own:
Dual Terror
Micro Terror
PPC212OB

Used to own:
Thunderverb 50
Rocker 30
Tiny Terror

FFXIhealer

Post by FFXIhealer » Mon Dec 05, 2011 5:05 am

No, you don't understand. Most of the Marshall owners over that the Marshall forum bitch about the G12T-75s too. They're having THIS EXACT SAME DISCUSSION over there right now (about how much G12T-75s suck and that they love their Vintage 30s or their Greenbacks or whatever).

jason41224
Orange Master

Post by jason41224 » Mon Dec 05, 2011 5:24 am

FFXIhealer wrote:No, you don't understand. Most of the Marshall owners over that the Marshall forum bitch about the G12T-75s too. They're having THIS EXACT SAME DISCUSSION over there right now (about how much G12T-75s suck and that they love their Vintage 30s or their Greenbacks or whatever).
so? how does that justify the argument? we're talking about Apples...er, Marshalls and Oranges here. it just happens that Orange owners typically don't like G12T's with their Oranges, and (apparently) Marshall owners typically don't like G12T's with their Marshall's either. but if you like them, so what? if it works for you, nobody's telling you to change over.
Jason
Rocker 30
too many pedals

FFXIhealer

Post by FFXIhealer » Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:15 am

That's not the tone of my posts. I'm laughing because Orange guys are saying that the G12Ts work with Marshalls because of the treble, yadda yadda and over at the Marshall forums, they're bitching about just that exact thing. :lol: You guys are actually on the same page. I don't have a problem with the speakers, but then again, I don't have my own sound, I'm not in a band, and I don't gig. So it's whatever to me. Don't get offended or anything. I know how internet texts and posts can sound WAY off. If we were talking, you'd know that I found this whole thing funny based on the sound of my voice.

jason41224
Orange Master

Post by jason41224 » Tue Dec 06, 2011 5:13 am

haha, gotcha. in fact i thought you were offended and i was like "oh, come on." :lol: we're cool, sorry for the misunderstanding.
Jason
Rocker 30
too many pedals

ironlung40
Orange Master

Post by ironlung40 » Wed Dec 07, 2011 12:23 pm

It seems a lot of people dog on so many things including marshall cabs with 75's. Those speakers have been around a long time folks, and it is not because they suck and are as awful as so many of the internet players seem to suggest. I don't know everyone's background, so this is not intended to be a blanket statement, but I feel that most of the negativity comes from unprofessional players that can't dial in a sound and then spread the rumors.

It's true though, that perhaps the 75's aren't the best fit for the OP's orange, but If you have ever been a gigging musician and had to rent backlines or use what the venue had, you've probably been stuck with some marshall cabs and 75's before. These cabs are capable of a lot more than thrash metal, like said above. But, they were designed for a marshall amp, so they tend to mesh better with those, just like the modern Oranges, tend to sound muddy if they're not meshed with the V30's that Orange recommends for them. I really think that modern orange amps are just not that flexible when it comes to speakers. Many other amps, like marshall, I've played with v30's, 75's, 65's, 25 greenbacks, 30's, and they have all sounded great. So, I think the orange voicing is just a lot more picky when it comes to speakers. Just my opinion though. That is not a speakers fault.

Also, I'm going to have to call BS, on the comment about a vintage modern and JVM marshall not being articulate. If you can't get great marshall tones on those amps, you just don't know how to dial them in. Slash and Robin Trower use vintage moderns live and rave on them, and Mustaine uses JVM's, and that is some speedy articulate guitar style right there. I own a vintage modern, and have played JVM's and there is every marshall tone you could ever want in those 2 heads. With the EQ being so flexible on each, it does take more time to dial them in than a classic single channel marshall like the JMP or superleads.

O.k. my rant is over. but, to the op don't toss that r30 yet.
Sincerely,
Ironlung40
OR120 Pix/text
Tiny Terror HW
Rocker 30 combo
Rockververb 100 MKII
Thunderverb 200
Gibson SG 61 RI

the gray area
Tiny Terror

Post by the gray area » Wed Dec 07, 2011 12:57 pm

Slightly off topic. Does any one have any experience/opinion on the GT12 80 classic lead speakers with Orange amps?
Gordon Smith Graduate 60, Gretsch G6128 Duo Jet, 1997 AS Fender Tele, 1968 Framus BL15.

Wienbrock ME-3pro Orange DT, Blackheart BH100, Custom 2x12 VC30, Custom 2x12 CL80
Some other stuff & a large vodka.

Le Chat Noir
Duke of Orange

Post by Le Chat Noir » Wed Dec 07, 2011 1:39 pm

My friend has a JCM2000 DSL100 and standard 1960A with G12T75s - he gets some really cool tones that work perfectly in his band, though I've also heard that exact same rig sound horrible when played by other guys in other bands. I once tried my AD30TC through a 1960A and it was the worst I'd ever heard my amp sound!

Of course, plenty of people hate V30s too, and plenty of people swear by them. It's weird how G12T75s and V30s really do seem to polarise opinion.

It's all personal taste in the end, and the best way to find out what works for you is of course to not trust anyone on the internet and try the darn things yourself wherever possible :mrgreen:
Teddy
The Blackwater Rebellion: 2-piece alt rock duo http://theblackwaterrebellion.bandcamp.com/
I play an AD30TC

ironlung40
Orange Master

Post by ironlung40 » Wed Dec 07, 2011 3:18 pm

the gray area wrote:Slightly off topic. Does any one have any experience/opinion on the GT12 80 classic lead speakers with Orange amps?
Those suck balls!!! :lol:
Sincerely,
Ironlung40
OR120 Pix/text
Tiny Terror HW
Rocker 30 combo
Rockververb 100 MKII
Thunderverb 200
Gibson SG 61 RI

the gray area
Tiny Terror

Post by the gray area » Wed Dec 07, 2011 4:37 pm

ironlung40 wrote: Those suck balls!!! :lol:

haha could you be more specific please! :wink:
Gordon Smith Graduate 60, Gretsch G6128 Duo Jet, 1997 AS Fender Tele, 1968 Framus BL15.

Wienbrock ME-3pro Orange DT, Blackheart BH100, Custom 2x12 VC30, Custom 2x12 CL80
Some other stuff & a large vodka.

DiabloS
Orange Master

Post by DiabloS » Wed Dec 07, 2011 4:43 pm

the gray area wrote:
ironlung40 wrote: Those suck balls!!! :lol:

haha could you be more specific please! :wink:
They suck DONKEY balls! :D
DOWNLOAD THE DIABLO STRANGE EP FOR FREE HERE -> http://diablostrange.bandcamp.com

Currently own:
Dual Terror
Micro Terror
PPC212OB

Used to own:
Thunderverb 50
Rocker 30
Tiny Terror

DiabloS
Orange Master

Post by DiabloS » Wed Dec 07, 2011 4:45 pm

But seriously, I think there were comparison clips in Teddy's thread with that speaker:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=46350

Currently own:
Dual Terror
Micro Terror
PPC212OB

Used to own:
Thunderverb 50
Rocker 30
Tiny Terror