Best bang for the buck pickups - your opinion!

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Le Chat Noir
Duke of Orange

Best bang for the buck pickups - your opinion!

Post by Le Chat Noir » Sun Dec 04, 2011 2:49 pm

I've been through a shedload of aftermarket pickups in recent years in search of the right ones for me, from cheap-as-chips to boutique and from very low to very high output.

I have to say, out of all the pickups I've tried I think my favourite humbuckers are Tonerider Alnico IV Classics. They just sound great to me, whether clean or driven - very open, detailed, well-balanced with a lush sweetness and no harsh frequencies anywhere. I've never tried any other alnico IV pickups so perhaps that is a contributing factor - would love to compare them to some BKP Mules one day.

Tonerider humbuckers can be had for 60-70 GBP for a set here in the UK, which means you get a set of them for the price of a single Dimarzio, Seymour Duncan etc, and about half the price of a single Bareknuckle or other high end pickup!

I love them and have just ordered myself another set as they're cheap direct from Amazon right now.

What are the best value pickups you've ever owned? :)
Teddy
The Blackwater Rebellion: 2-piece alt rock duo http://theblackwaterrebellion.bandcamp.com/
I play an AD30TC

savage8190
Orange Master

Re: Best bang for the buck pickups - your opinion!

Post by savage8190 » Sun Dec 04, 2011 4:37 pm

Funny that you mentioned Toneriders...as soon as I read the title of this thread thats what I thought of. I used to have a set of Tonerider City Limits in a Mexican Strat....those were damn good pickups, and under 100 bucks for the set!

OU818
Orange Master

Post by OU818 » Sun Dec 04, 2011 11:15 pm

A set of Rio Grande Dual Calibrated single coils for my strat were very well priced and are a great sounding pickup. They reall ymake the Strat into a non-quacking rock guitar.
Orange Gear:
AD200B MkIII
OBC810

Non-Orange:
Bergantino NXT212
Bergantino Forte D
Woogie Lessie
Laney DBV-410

Basses:
Ernie Ball Stingray 4H
Rickenbacker 4003
Gibson Midtown Signature
Gibson Thunderbird
Gibson Nikki Sixx Thunderbird
Gibson Les Paul Bass

Borderline Productions
Orange Master

Post by Borderline Productions » Sun Dec 04, 2011 11:28 pm

I was thinking Rio Grande's too. I have a friend who is a walking advertisement for them.
Bob

http://www.purevolume.com/oxymora" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

jason41224
Orange Master

Post by jason41224 » Mon Dec 05, 2011 5:32 am

i've got a set of GFS's in each of my teles (one with 2 HB sized filtertrons, one with standard tele neck/bridge) that sound GREAT. i think each set was like $50. now that's bang for buck.
Jason
Rocker 30
too many pedals

BaBaBooey
Tiny Terror

Post by BaBaBooey » Mon Dec 05, 2011 6:47 am

I got a calibrated set of Black Dog Bare Knuckles in my Jimmy Page... I freakin adore them. They might cost a bit more, but you can find them well under retail no problem.

irish_admiral
Prince of Orange

Post by irish_admiral » Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:56 am

The Bulldog pickups in my Tele are great, but don't really count as "bang for buck"! Same for BKPs etc...

I'd have said GFS too - cheap as chips, and not too bad-sounding - if it weren't for the fact that Toneriders are pretty cheap too, and sounded even better to my ears. Got a set of the Pure Vintage in my Strat, and they are just that. Cracking tones. Used to have the alnico IVs also... good pickups

Teddy, I did have a Mule, and it wasn't really any better than the A4s...
Joe

G(sus) saves

Orange AD15, Matamp 1224, Fender 'JD' Tele, G&L ASAT, Duesenberg Starplayer TV, Eggle Kanuga, Avalon D25, Warwick FNA Jazzman, Eden Nemesis / Bergantino EX112S, Eastman MD305 & other stuff...

Wendigo
Orange Master

Post by Wendigo » Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:50 am

Oddly enough I'm gonna go with Gibson '57 Classics... :shock:

They aren't all that expensive really, and they deliver the best tone available in my humble opinion (for humbuckers). I realize we're talking bang for the buck here, but that's my point I guess: what gives you more bang than the classic tone heard on thousands of recordings?

Icarus
Orange Expert

Post by Icarus » Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:57 am

Wendigo wrote:Oddly enough I'm gonna go with Gibson '57 Classics... :shock:

They aren't all that expensive really, and they deliver the best tone available in my humble opinion (for humbuckers). I realize we're talking bang for the buck here, but that's my point I guess: what gives you more bang than the classic tone heard on thousands of recordings?
Agreed. I love the '57 classics in my LP and they are currently keeping a bare knuckle nailbomb and mississippi queen that I have, out of work.
Thunderverb 200
Rockerverb 50
PPC412hp8
PPC212cb
Les Paul Custom
American Standard Tele

irish_admiral
Prince of Orange

Post by irish_admiral » Mon Dec 05, 2011 12:57 pm

Friend of mine has them in his LP... he plays it with an AC30 - he doesn't like them!

Sounded fine to me...
Joe

G(sus) saves

Orange AD15, Matamp 1224, Fender 'JD' Tele, G&L ASAT, Duesenberg Starplayer TV, Eggle Kanuga, Avalon D25, Warwick FNA Jazzman, Eden Nemesis / Bergantino EX112S, Eastman MD305 & other stuff...

Thinline_slim
Orange Master

Post by Thinline_slim » Mon Dec 05, 2011 3:02 pm

Bang for the buck would be Toneriders for me. I've had a few GFS and they're decent (Mean 90s were good) but all 3 GFS pickups were swapped out without much thought.

Also, those Gibson 57 classics are great pickups! I've wanted an LP Traditional Plus for a little while just because they sound so damn good with the 57s.
Jake
OrangePaul wrote:Ok gitar lead to you Jake :D
"One of the 400"

http://www.purevolume.com/JakeMcallasterBand/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Le Chat Noir
Duke of Orange

Post by Le Chat Noir » Mon Dec 05, 2011 4:47 pm

I do also love Rio Grande, they're more in the 'upper mid' price bracket in the UK though. Muy Grandes are my favourite single coils :)
Teddy
The Blackwater Rebellion: 2-piece alt rock duo http://theblackwaterrebellion.bandcamp.com/
I play an AD30TC

MaxProphet
Orange Master

Post by MaxProphet » Mon Dec 05, 2011 7:14 pm

toneriders come in classic vibes, they are made in the same factory. although they aren't "toneriders" brand they are virtually the same pickups. ie. 50 classic vibe= toneriders Hot Classics Set - TRT2. that's what i read on the internet anyway, must be true

amesav
Tiny Terror

Post by amesav » Mon Dec 05, 2011 8:32 pm

The puckups my 1995 Gibson les Paul standard come out with pretty sure they the the Gibson burstbuckers,big warm fat sound
Orange Thunderverb 50
Orange Rockerverb 50 MK1
Gibson Les Paul Standard

Captain Wedge
Rocker

Post by Captain Wedge » Tue Dec 06, 2011 3:02 am

I really like Suhr pickups, especially their humbuckers. My next guitar will most likely have a set of them.

If I win the lottery, I'll get a Suhr guitar to go with them.
Fender Stratocaster || Les Paul || Garrison Acoustic
Orange Dual Terror