Orange Craving

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

FFXIhealer

Re: Orange Craving

Post by FFXIhealer » Fri Dec 02, 2011 8:02 pm

I was considering the Rockerverb 50 because 1. I have the digital model on Amplitube and it flippin rocks, especially love the detail when using my Sony monitoring headphones. 2. I want more gain on tap than just the AD30 alone, but I like to dial it back into the crunch zone a lot. I buy around usefulness and flexibility and if the RV can dial back into vintage crunch just as good as the AD30, then why not? And 3. The RV would only cost me, like, $150 more than the AD30 (without getting into any prices or anthing... :wink: ).

And I'll take your suggestion about the open-back 212 cab seriously. I just like how the 412A cab looked. *LOL*

savage8190
Orange Master

Post by savage8190 » Fri Dec 02, 2011 9:40 pm

jason41224 wrote:
savage8190 wrote:
jason41224 wrote:^terror would definitely be less gain/aggressiveness than the rocker. but yes, that would be correct.
Hmm...ya then the Rocker probably wouldn't do it for me. There was more gain than I would ever typically use in the Terror so the Rocker would be overkill.
hey now, just because it's there doesn't mean you have to use it :D my favorite setting is with the gain at about noon, and at that setting it has much less than the TT. I say all this speculation could be taken either way. check out some videos and see for yourself, if you can't find one to try in person
Oh Ill definitely try both if I can find 'em.

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Fri Dec 02, 2011 10:26 pm

FFXIhealer wrote:I was considering the Rockerverb 50 because 1. I have the digital model on Amplitube and it flippin rocks, especially love the detail when using my Sony monitoring headphones. 2. I want more gain on tap than just the AD30 alone, but I like to dial it back into the crunch zone a lot. I buy around usefulness and flexibility and if the RV can dial back into vintage crunch just as good as the AD30, then why not? And 3. The RV would only cost me, like, $150 more than the AD30 (without getting into any prices or anthing... :wink: ).

And I'll take your suggestion about the open-back 212 cab seriously. I just like how the 412A cab looked. *LOL*

Don't get me wrong, when i said don't get the RV50 on account of the AD30, i have tried both myself and bought the RV50. I love it to bits, it's a fabulous amp. I does classic crunch well, but not as well as the AD30.

The RV50 i have is certainly extremely polyvalent, and excellent from jazz to metal.
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

DiabloS
Orange Master

Orange Craving

Post by DiabloS » Sat Dec 03, 2011 1:12 am

It really depends on what style of music you play and the tone you prefer, but as far as an amp being dynamic that's what sold me on the Rocker 30 last week when I bought mine. I tried the Rockerverb 50 first and thought it sounded good and it's very versatile, but then I switched to the Rocker 30 and for some reason the words beefy and juicy come to mind...haha... the sustain, dynamics and the feeling of the notes you're playing being really alive inspires me to play it. This is referring to the Dirty channel only though, the natural channel sounds good enough at low volumes but isn't anything to write home about at louder volumes, especially if you're trying to stay clean. I love both the Rocker 30 and the Dual Terror though, so if you didn't like the DT, the Rocker 30 might not be for you. Also, I wouldn't say the Rocker 30 has way more gain than the DT either, it's very capable of getting good crunch around noon and even 1o'clock. I set my gain knob almost the same with the Rocker as I did with the DT.

I would assume if you really like the VOX AC30 that the Orange AD30 would get you closer to the same ballpark since it's a bit looser sounding... but as far as a dynamic amp, the Rocker 30 is on the top of my list.
DOWNLOAD THE DIABLO STRANGE EP FOR FREE HERE -> http://diablostrange.bandcamp.com

Currently own:
Dual Terror
Micro Terror
PPC212OB

Used to own:
Thunderverb 50
Rocker 30
Tiny Terror

Stainboy
Orange Hero

Post by Stainboy » Sat Dec 03, 2011 8:31 am

Le Chat Noir wrote:The AD30 is complimented best by open back cabs I've found. I owned a PPC212CB briefly and also a PPC412 and my AD30TC sounded much, much better to me through its own open back combo than either. I'd definitely recommend the combo or the open backed 2x12 for the AD30.
Definitely for me as well, Teddy. A combo or open back is the AD30 sound. Mine sounds great through my 412, but just roars from my open back 212.
"What I call a dream involves Diana Dors and a bottle of chip oil!"

Swipe Card HERE

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Post by a.hun » Sat Dec 03, 2011 1:00 pm

savage8190 wrote:So I guess, of the amps mentioned, they could sort of be organized in this order from most open/dynamic/loose/classic gain to most compressed/hard hitting/fizzy gain...

AC30
AD30
Terror/Rocker (don't know which would go first)
RV

Does that seem about right?
Not really to be honest. I think you are maybe a bit unclear on the whole 'dynamics' thing. That isn't just a matter of how much gain is available. The RV may have more gain potential than the R.30 but it is still a more compressed amp. Even low gain amps can be very compressed (eg a Tweed Fender Champ) or very uncompressed (eg a Fender Twin).
savage8190 wrote:My problem with the RV was that it was a little too compressed and....I dont really know how to put it other than snappy. Like it was hitting my ears hard even at lower volumes...maybe just all the compression and focused attack? Thats why I like the AC30, its very open sounding by comparison.
(High) compression and focussed attack are pretty much opposites. (High) compression and 'snappy sounding' too probably. Though to be honest that may also have to do with tonal differences not just dynamics. 'High compression' and 'hard hitting' to my mind are usually opposites, though amps like the Vox AC30 can do both. That really is more down to their tonal character IMO.

The different style dynamics of different amps can be confusing, as can the different terms often used. Saying an amp is 'very dynamic' or has 'very good dynamics' can mean different (even opposite!) things to different people. Do you mean the amp 'has a very wide dynamic range', or that it is 'very responsive to small changes in playing touch'? These are exact opposites as the first means a very un-compressed amp, the second a very compressed one.

Perhaps this discussion and my comments there will help clarify things a little:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=46109&p=559359&hili ... cs#p559359" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Personally I'd have thought the order from most to least compressed would be more like:
AD30
AC30 (definitely more punchy then the Orange, but still relatively quick to compress at working volumes.)
Terror / RV (don't know which would go first.)
Rocker 30.

The AD30 is one of the most compressed amps I've ever played. It is a great feel, but not what I personally want from an Orange amp.
(As I'm used to the extremely wide dynamic range of the old OR amps a very compressed amp with similar tones just doesn't feel right to me. Only talking personal taste here - not 'good or bad', 'better or worse'! A compressed (squashed! :wink:)Orange is just not what my brain expects or craves though. I've got my old AC30 head for that feel.)

The Rocker 30 is a very bold uncompressed style of amp (most like the original vintage Oranges), and pretty much the exact opposite of relatively compressed AD/AC30 style amps. When AD/AC30s are pushed hard they won't actually put out peaks much over their rated continuous wattage, they'll just get more distorted. Amps like the R.30 will put out rather higher momentary peaks then the very similar wattage ratings would suggest. If you think of it in those terms you'll probably have a clearer idea of what the different dynamics of the different styles of amps really mean, and be able to choose which suits you best.

Hope that helps!

Andy.
aNDyH. :wink:

Ever tried to outstare a mirror?

In the bathtub of history the truth is harder to hold than the soap, and much more difficult to find!

ironlung40
Orange Master

Post by ironlung40 » Sat Dec 03, 2011 2:57 pm

well, I would post my thoughts, but Andy nailed it for me. I agree 110% with everything he said. But, I think He and I share the same expectations out of our Orange amps, as we both seem to prefer the OR's and the rocker 30's. It's all to taste though, so trying is the only way to know.
Sincerely,
Ironlung40
OR120 Pix/text
Tiny Terror HW
Rocker 30 combo
Rockververb 100 MKII
Thunderverb 200
Gibson SG 61 RI

savage8190
Orange Master

Post by savage8190 » Sat Dec 03, 2011 5:07 pm

Hmmm... Thanks for clearing that up Andy! I guess I am a bit confused in my thoughts and wording there....particularly about compression. I always thought an amp that sounded more focused meant it was more compressed.

So here's my thing...I like the spongy feel of the AC30. And when I talk about dynamics, I mean how it responds to my touch...not getting louder and quieter, but cleaner and more distorted. Based on that I suppose I am looking a a very compressed amp like the AD. Id like something thats responds similarly to my Vox, but also has that classic Orange tone.

ironlung40
Orange Master

Post by ironlung40 » Sat Dec 03, 2011 5:11 pm

savage8190 wrote:Hmmm... Thanks for clearing that up Andy! I guess I am a bit confused in my thoughts and wording there....particularly about compression. I always thought an amp that sounded more focused meant it was more compressed.

So here's my thing...I like the spongy feel of the AC30. And when I talk about dynamics, I mean how it responds to my touch...not getting louder and quieter, but cleaner and more distorted. Based on that I suppose I am looking a a very compressed amp like the AD. Id like something thats responds similarly to my Vox, but also has that classic Orange tone.
well the AD30's have been compared to the vox amps before in regards to the compression and the chime that can be coaxed out of them as far as cleans go. I don't think they sound remotely like a vox, but I guess when compared to some of the other Orange amps, they do have some similar characteristics, even though the voicing is different. Sounds like the AD30 is what you're after IMO.
Sincerely,
Ironlung40
OR120 Pix/text
Tiny Terror HW
Rocker 30 combo
Rockververb 100 MKII
Thunderverb 200
Gibson SG 61 RI

Le Chat Noir
Duke of Orange

Post by Le Chat Noir » Sat Dec 03, 2011 6:14 pm

I guess the AD30 isn't much like a Vox AC30 in overall tone, but it does share some inherent characteristics. That responsiveness to your playing is definitely there, plus of course the chimey EL84 thing and saggy, compressed character. But the AD30 has a dark, fuzzy sort of character compared to the much more jangly Vox. It's certainly the closest equivalent to the Vox in the modern Orange line I'd say.
Teddy
The Blackwater Rebellion: 2-piece alt rock duo http://theblackwaterrebellion.bandcamp.com/
I play an AD30TC

nlimbaugh
Orange Master

Post by nlimbaugh » Sat Dec 03, 2011 6:23 pm

I have found it difficult to totally separate loud/quiet form clean/distorted. I can go clean to distorted with pick attack and I use no pedals or volume control. I think it could suffice in a live situation. However, there are definitely changes in volume. Albeit, my cleans are often on one string and seems to let me play louder without 'apparent' distortion versus laying into two or three strings where my volume kind of plateaus and the distortion takes new forms. I use an OR80... I guess that's supposed to be 'dynamic'?

savage8190
Orange Master

Post by savage8190 » Sat Dec 03, 2011 7:48 pm

Le Chat Noir wrote:I guess the AD30 isn't much like a Vox AC30 in overall tone, but it does share some inherent characteristics. That responsiveness to your playing is definitely there, plus of course the chimey EL84 thing and saggy, compressed character. But the AD30 has a dark, fuzzy sort of character compared to the much more jangly Vox. It's certainly the closest equivalent to the Vox in the modern Orange line I'd say.
Thats exactly what Im looking for....same sort of responsiveness as the Vox, but with the darker/fuzzy Orange sound.

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Post by a.hun » Sat Dec 03, 2011 9:06 pm

Yep, sounds like the AD30 is exactly what you are after! And luckily for you Orange haven't got around to discontinuing it yet...

Andy.
aNDyH. :wink:

Ever tried to outstare a mirror?

In the bathtub of history the truth is harder to hold than the soap, and much more difficult to find!

OrangePaul
Orange Master

Post by OrangePaul » Sun Dec 04, 2011 1:23 am

In hindsight Orange must surely regret now calling that particular line ADs and having them compared to vox ACs.
It makes it sound as though they are some kind of Vox amp clone manufacturer.
Paul.

jason41224
Orange Master

Post by jason41224 » Sun Dec 04, 2011 9:07 am

yeah, i wonder what the reasoning behind that is anyways. does AD supposedly stand for something?
Jason
Rocker 30
too many pedals