Thunderverb 200 with two HP8 cabs?

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

fiaj
Tiny Terror

Thunderverb 200 with two HP8 cabs?

Post by fiaj » Wed Nov 02, 2011 1:13 pm

Hello all,
Looks like with my next big chunk of money i'm going to go all out and fatten my amp collection with an AD200B and also a Thunderverb 200, as i will never have a big load of money again i thought i may aswell blow it all on amps and guitars.
I have been reading about the 4x12 hp8 cabs and much as i have yet to actually try them out they sound like exactly what i need to get the fattest possible sound from the thunderverb.
Problem is, i'm one of those idiots who can play guitar but i don't know a great deal about the electronics of amplifiers. I like the idea of getting a full stack with my Thunderverb so it is at ear height and for the biggest sound i can get. I hate using standard 4x12s as you can never clearly hear the speaker sound unless you're on the floor with the speaker, whilst standing you seem to lose some of the high end of your tone and it is very important to me that i hear exactly what my speakers sound like. I use the slanted 4x12 with my Rockerverb and that is perfect as it has the two speakers angled upwards so when you're a few feet away you get it in full.
I'd rather have a full stack anyway for bigger sound while i've got money to kill but as the hp8s have a power rating of 400w does that mean that sending signal from my amp to two of these cabs will end up not having enough power to drive the speakers?
It may be a stupid question but i have to ask.
thanks.
Kian.

baytamusic
Duke of Orange

Re: Thunderverb 200 with two HP8 cabs?

Post by baytamusic » Wed Nov 02, 2011 1:56 pm

It'll be fine, but you won't get any speaker breakup at all. If I were you, I'd get another regular straight PPC412 and then put some different speakers in the angled one you have. Stock V30s in the bottom straight cab and something else, maybe g12h30 on the top 4 in the angled cab. You wouldn't be able to use the angled cab by itself with the Thunderverb 200 since it'll only be a 120w cab, but you could use it with your other amp.

You'd have to daisy chain them to get the load to 8ohm when using them with the Thunderverb I think.

fiaj
Tiny Terror

Post by fiaj » Wed Nov 02, 2011 2:24 pm

baytamusic wrote:It'll be fine, but you won't get any speaker breakup at all. If I were you, I'd get another regular straight PPC412 and then put some different speakers in the angled one you have. Stock V30s in the bottom straight cab and something else, maybe g12h30 on the top 4 in the angled cab. You wouldn't be able to use the angled cab by itself with the Thunderverb 200 since it'll only be a 120w cab, but you could use it with your other amp.

You'd have to daisy chain them to get the load to 8ohm when using them with the Thunderverb I think.

Thanks for the advice.
I don't really want to mess around with the slanted 4x12 as it is too perfect for the tone of my Rockerverb. Ideally i want to be able to use all my amps together. I do a lot of soundscaping and experimental jazz and i like to be able to use multiple amps and guitars at the same time. I like the idea of have the AD200 set up for my bass, my Rockerverb with the sloped cab for my fretless guitar for nice crystally cleans and stupendous crispy crunch on the dirty, and then i'd like to have the Thunderverb going through a full stack in between for a Moog guitar and Les Paul for really thick and fat "thunderous" tones. Then, with enough effects and a looper i will have infinate possibilities and be set up to gig whenever, with whatever kit i want to take.. I know it's a bit extreme, but i like to be extreme. and there is nothing better than totally surrounding yourself with sound. At the moment i'm only working with a drummer so i set up layers of sound to consume the audience and switch around instruments to play fat bass grooves or crazy jazz or whatever.
I wouldn't ever want to change the Rockerverb setup i have with the sloped cab but maybe i could get a regular 4x12 for underneath an HP8 and the HP8 would benefit in tone? it kind of seems like they were designed to just be used as a single cab with that head but i really want a full stack.
I need to just get somewhere and have a play but there's no Orange stockists for about 150 miles. I've already tested the head through a single HP8 and loved it other than the direction of the sound being too low (although i do spend at least half the time i'm playing on the floor with my pedals) so i was hoping there wouldn't be much difference in tone when running through two but i won't just blindly buy them without testing as people seem to think it won't do what i want it to do.

baytamusic
Duke of Orange

Post by baytamusic » Wed Nov 02, 2011 2:34 pm

If you plan to play bass through one of the amps, you may want a bass cabinet with that head. Maybe the HP cab works for bass. I don't really know, but first inclination it doesn't.

Do you have a huge van or something? ;)

Also, I hope you don't tour because you are going to have about 10k worth of bright Orange guitar gear in there. I'm counting 4 Orange cabinets and 3 Orange heads right now. Better park backed up to a wall and get bullet proof glass on the windows.

fiaj
Tiny Terror

Post by fiaj » Tue Nov 15, 2011 1:07 pm

baytamusic wrote:If you plan to play bass through one of the amps, you may want a bass cabinet with that head. Maybe the HP cab works for bass. I don't really know, but first inclination it doesn't.

Do you have a huge van or something? ;)

Also, I hope you don't tour because you are going to have about 10k worth of bright Orange guitar gear in there. I'm counting 4 Orange cabinets and 3 Orange heads right now. Better park backed up to a wall and get bullet proof glass on the windows.
You're right about needing bullet proof glass. And maybe some invention like Blade's sword handle where anybody who touches the gear with different DNA will have their hands mutilated, although then i'd get blood on my kit. I won't be using the Thunderverb for bass much, and if i did i'd run it through the bass stack. I very much doubt i'll ever use all three amps together but you never know, i'll just get the Thunderverb out for really heavy gigs, or for riot control!