noise limiter power trip gizmo at venues... grrr...

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

riffmonster
Orange Master

noise limiter power trip gizmo at venues... grrr...

Post by riffmonster » Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:45 am

Did first gig yesterday for about a year (after illness), which went really well, apart from the venue had a noise monitor that when it reaches a certain point trips the power off... :(

We managed to trip it 3 times in one song!

We've never had a problem with these before as we're not a particularly loud band (we were doing Free covers as it happens).

The funny part was the drums were tripping it, and of course the only thing that didn't go quiet...

Had a punter come up and say "3 time in one song, rock n roll!"

:)
Mark

ESBlonde
Orange Master

Re: noise limiter power trip gizmo at venues... grrr...

Post by ESBlonde » Mon Nov 14, 2011 12:54 pm

The problem with these devices is that the venue get thier license dependant upon one being fitted. They are usually not well calibrated and use poor quality mics. So the cymbals of a simple acoustic drum kit will trigger the device but nothing electrical needs to be plugged in.
Not all the sockets in the venue are wired to the device because usually the bar and maybe kitchen don't want to plunged into darkness and have the coolers/fridges going off all the time. So take a couple of thick long power leads and run your supply from one of them sockets. It doesn't mean you can be loud as all hell, but the drummer using the ride cymbal wont lose all the settings in your digital effects unit when the power snaps off.

I always ask about these units and stairs/access before taking a gig. If they don't give acceptable answers on the phone the gig is a no go.
Here we go; three, four...

baytamusic
Duke of Orange

Post by baytamusic » Mon Nov 14, 2011 2:14 pm

I've never heard of anything like this before. That's weird. Sorry to hear about that.

myboss57
Orange Master

Post by myboss57 » Mon Nov 14, 2011 5:28 pm

yeah, I didn't know there was such a thing - that's strange! My band would surely be causing blackouts!!
Gibson SG Standard
http://www.nightmovesmd.bandcamp.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Sovtek Mig 100h
TC Alter Ego
Mesa Oversized 412
Prev amps: 90s OD120, Tiny Terror, Rockerverb 100mk1

Thinline_slim
Orange Master

Post by Thinline_slim » Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:15 pm

That's crazy. I've never heard of such a thing either.

Now if only we can harness that power in the form of a Douche Bag-o-meter to be inserted into all current production Tag Heuer watches that would power down the douche baggery.
Jake
OrangePaul wrote:Ok gitar lead to you Jake :D
"One of the 400"

http://www.purevolume.com/JakeMcallasterBand/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Neiloler
Lord of Orange

Post by Neiloler » Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:15 pm

Wasn't this a big deal in the UK or at least England a few years back? I could have sworn there was a big todo over this a while back. Totally lame, that device. Absolute rubbish. Calling 1984!

OrangePaul
Orange Master

Post by OrangePaul » Tue Nov 15, 2011 12:21 am

I think they've been on the scene for a long long time in certain working mens clubs in the north of England where predominantly cover acts bands play.
The implementation back then was probably down to the discretion of the concert chairman...
Mess with him at your peril :shock:

I think in some clubs it was actually like a traffic light system....
Green... Ambre... You're off! :D
Paul.

Borderline Productions
Orange Master

Post by Borderline Productions » Tue Nov 15, 2011 3:54 am

I think it would be a point of pride for drummers to see how many times they could cut out the power. So, in a way these things actually get the exact opposite of what they were designed for.

Reminds me of a bar that had a breathalizer so the patrons could test themselves before they hit the road. Soon it became a contest over who could get the highest alcohol level. Not long after that the machine disappeared.
Bob

http://www.purevolume.com/oxymora" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

riffmonster
Orange Master

Post by riffmonster » Tue Nov 15, 2011 12:14 pm

I had a chat with the drummer. He had loaded in before I got there, and the club manager had made some comment to the effect of "oh no, not drums!..."

When the drummer asked me what to do, I just said carry on like normal - which we did - I guess we know not to play there again.

I did bring some extension leads and thought I had bypassed the plugs that cut out, but obviously it cut the whole ring main except behind the bar...

:D
Mark

riffmonster
Orange Master

Post by riffmonster » Tue Nov 15, 2011 12:16 pm

Neiloler wrote:Wasn't this a big deal in the UK or at least England a few years back? I could have sworn there was a big todo over this a while back. Totally lame, that device. Absolute rubbish. Calling 1984!
They first appeared a few years ago - but we usually don't have a problem with them.
Mark

riffmonster
Orange Master

Post by riffmonster » Tue Nov 15, 2011 12:18 pm

OrangePaul wrote:
I think in some clubs it was actually like a traffic light system....
Green... Ambre... You're off! :D
That's the jobbie, you find yourself playing with one eye on it as it flashes into the red again, again, again... there goes the power!
Mark

riffmonster
Orange Master

Post by riffmonster » Tue Nov 15, 2011 12:19 pm

Borderline Productions wrote:I think it would be a point of pride for drummers to see how many times they could cut out the power. So, in a way these things actually get the exact opposite of what they were designed for.
Yup - particularly as the drums aren't plugged in so carry on playing....

I think it had happened before, but we broke some sort of record with 3 times in one song. :D
Mark

riffmonster
Orange Master

Post by riffmonster » Tue Nov 15, 2011 12:21 pm

ESBlonde wrote: I always ask about these units and stairs/access before taking a gig. If they don't give acceptable answers on the phone the gig is a no go.
I did check out the venue but didn't think this would be a problem... :(
Mark