Nickel plated vs. Pure nickel...

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Wendigo
Orange Master

Nickel plated vs. Pure nickel...

Post by Wendigo » Sun Oct 16, 2011 8:51 pm

What do you guys prefer and why? I'm thinking about trying some new strings other than the D'Addario 10s (nickel-plated) that I've been using for about 21 years...

Icarus
Orange Expert

Re: Nickel plated vs. Pure nickel...

Post by Icarus » Sun Oct 16, 2011 9:24 pm

I've been thinking about switching to pure nickel strings for my tele for a while but just haven't got round to doing it.
This guy gives some good info on pure nickel strings and different brands...
http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/tonefre ... rings.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Thunderverb 200
Rockerverb 50
PPC412hp8
PPC212cb
Les Paul Custom
American Standard Tele

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Sun Oct 16, 2011 9:55 pm

I use nickel plated gibson bright wires, 11-50 tuned E to E on my les paul, and fender bullet 10-46, nickel plated again, E to E.

I prefer the bright wire very much - but the bullet ended fender strings come im very handy on my floating tremolo Vigier.

If the bright wired had bullet ends, they'd be on my Vigier. Best strings I've tried yet.
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

brianr0131
Orange Master

Post by brianr0131 » Sun Oct 16, 2011 10:02 pm

The coated D'addario strings are going very well for me as of late. They're not "dull" like Elixirs They come with an extra high E too

http://www.amazon.com/DAddario-EXP110-C ... 470&sr=8-8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sorry I don't know anything about pure nickel though.
Mesa Road King-Carvin Legacy 212-Silvertone 1484-Parker Fly DLX-Les Paul Trad Pro-USA ASAT-LP Junior-60's Tribute LP GTop-HWY1 Strat-Esquire Build-Peavey Predator-VHT Valvulator-Bud Wah-CMAT Signa Drive-Keeley Mod DS1-Monte Allum Dyna Comp-TU2-CE5-GE7-DD7

pages plexitone
Orange Master

Post by pages plexitone » Sun Oct 16, 2011 10:12 pm

I like pure nickel wrap, because I'm old and that's what they did in the old days and we liked it!

-Joe

http://soundclick.com/blackvelvetelvis" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Purveyor of permanent hearing loss since 1978

ironlung40
Orange Master

Post by ironlung40 » Sun Oct 16, 2011 10:51 pm

I dunno what to recommend as I finally decided to love the daddario 10's myself. But, I like the idea of pure nickel as I'm assuming they will be softer all the way to the core and not wear on the frets as much as they wear out like the other strings do. I'm all about not having to refret a guitar........As much as you play, I'm betting you've worn some frets out before.
Sincerely,
Ironlung40
OR120 Pix/text
Tiny Terror HW
Rocker 30 combo
Rockververb 100 MKII
Thunderverb 200
Gibson SG 61 RI

nlimbaugh
Orange Master

Post by nlimbaugh » Mon Oct 17, 2011 1:22 am

I wanna try the pure nickel strings too. I've done a little bit of experimenting and the D'addario 11's wound 3rd are still my choice.

the_blue_bomber
Orange Master

Post by the_blue_bomber » Mon Oct 17, 2011 5:26 am

Icarus wrote:I've been thinking about switching to pure nickel strings for my tele for a while but just haven't got round to doing it.
This guy gives some good info on pure nickel strings and different brands...
http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/tonefre ... rings.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
That guy's a F@#king moron!

Among other things...

He says in his post that his pure nickel unwound strings are more durable than typical strings. He says, "Since I've made the pure Nickel switch, I've only broken 2 high E's in 5 years."

Nickel isn't magnetic, so if the unwound strings are pure nickel, they'd be a lot quieter, too, when used with magnetic pickups.

He says "These kinds of strings have a slightly warmer (literally), smoother feel."

I guess he played them at a higher temperature than the other strings he compared them to?

:roll:
I used to have more Orange stuff. Now I just have a PPC412 (black), and a Micro Crush.

riffmonster
Orange Master

Post by riffmonster » Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:20 am

I've used various brands recently (ernie balls, d'addario, gibson brite wires, fender bullets and gibson vintage reissue strings)

The only pure nickel ones I've used are the gibson vintage reissue (on my les paul).

Personally I like 'em... but I have to say the difference in tone is very subtle (to my ears). They have a slightly 'softer' tone, and I'm not sure if its only in my head but a slightly softer feel too.

My preference at the moment is:

Les Paul: Gibson brite wires or vintage reissue

Epiphone acoustic: ernie balls super slinky

My yamaha 335 alike: d'addario

Strat: Fender bullets

:D
Mark

Gtr_Pkr
Orange Expert

Post by Gtr_Pkr » Mon Oct 17, 2011 5:29 pm

I switched from the Gibson Vintage Reissue nickel plated strings to the D'Addario nickel plated strings. I like the smooth tone I get from the nickel plated strings.
Lost in the spacey reverb of the Rockerverb.......SOMEBODY GET ME OUTTA HERE!!

Sooner
Orange Master

Post by Sooner » Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:46 pm

the_blue_bomber wrote: That guy's a F@#king moron!

Among other things...

He says in his post that his pure nickel unwound strings are more durable than typical strings. He says, "Since I've made the pure Nickel switch, I've only broken 2 high E's in 5 years."

Nickel isn't magnetic, so if the unwound strings are pure nickel, they'd be a lot quieter, too, when used with magnetic pickups.
Nickel (the element) is magnetic. Nickel coins made in the USA aren't magnetic because they're mostly copper... :wink:
Sooner
AD1512 Serial No. 001

MaxProphet
Orange Master

Post by MaxProphet » Mon Oct 17, 2011 11:18 pm

i found pure nickel strings to be dull sounding and have less volume vs. plated

the_blue_bomber
Orange Master

Post by the_blue_bomber » Tue Oct 18, 2011 2:49 am

Sooner wrote:

Among other things...

Nickel (the element) is magnetic. Nickel coins made in the USA aren't magnetic because they're mostly copper... :wink:
Huh. Well I look dumb now. :lol:

You're right. Not sure why it didn't come to mind, especially since it's the "ni" in alnico.

Anyways, I did read that guy's rant about the glory of pure nickel wound strings, though, and I still say he's a total nutcase. He says that pure nickel wound strings make his guitar sound less bright when using the bridge pickup, and yet, less bassy when using the neck pickup.

Also, are the unwound strings of a pure nickel would string set nickel or are they steel? I thought only the windings were pure nickel, and the rest (the cores of the wound strings and the unwound strings) was some kind of steel.
I used to have more Orange stuff. Now I just have a PPC412 (black), and a Micro Crush.

pages plexitone
Orange Master

Post by pages plexitone » Tue Oct 18, 2011 3:13 am

the_blue_bomber wrote:
Sooner wrote:

Among other things...

Huh. Well I look dumb now. :lol:

You're right. Not sure why it didn't come to mind, especially since it's the "ni" in alnico.

Anyways, I did read that guy's rant about the glory of pure nickel wound strings, though, and I still say he's a total nutcase. He says that pure nickel wound strings make his guitar sound less bright when using the bridge pickup, and yet, less bassy when using the neck pickup.

Also, are the unwound strings of a pure nickel would string set nickel or are they steel? I thought only the windings were pure nickel, and the rest (the cores of the wound strings and the unwound strings) was some kind of steel.
The plain strings are just plain steel, so no difference between a pure nickel wrapped or a nickel plated set.
I personally do think the pure nickel wraps wear quicker. I still like them and use them. I do think they have a sound. One that's obviously not for everyone!

-Joe

http://soundclick.com/blackvelvetelvis" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

pages plexitone
Orange Master

Post by pages plexitone » Tue Oct 18, 2011 3:17 am

nlimbaugh wrote:I wanna try the pure nickel strings too. I've done a little bit of experimenting and the D'addario 11's wound 3rd are still my choice.
WHOA! wound G? I can't really bend those to save my life :? I always cheat and use a plain steel G on my ES175 and discard the wound G. I know, I'm a wimp.

-Joe