Help me choose a compressor pedal...

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

princepudding
Tiny Terror

Re: Help me choose a compressor pedal...

Post by princepudding » Tue Sep 27, 2011 11:34 pm

I want a compressor too. But not for the exact same reasons. I can tell you not to get the boss compressor. I hate it. That may go without saying but......

Wired
Orange Master

Post by Wired » Fri Sep 30, 2011 2:14 am

I did something similar a year ago. Ended up with the Diamond after buying 5 and keepin them for a month. Only one remained. :)

Here's an article of my top 3

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=41736" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
-LK
RV50, Vox AC30, Gibson LP Trad '14, Gibson ES-335 '04, PRS Cu24 '10, Fender Tele Pro, Gretsch Powerjet

Wendigo
Orange Master

Post by Wendigo » Fri Sep 30, 2011 9:53 am

Lol "catch and release". Perfect description. :D

Thanks for the link, Wired. The review pretty much sums up what I've heard from the demos, as well as from other people that have played a lot of comps. The only thing is, I can't get my hands on a Diamond over here in Germany to demo first, so I might have to buy it and the Forest Green and send one back. I'd really like to try about ten different ones, but without the possibility to demo the Diamond along side of them, I'm not about to get in my car and drive a round trip of 300km up to Thomann and give them all a whirl. In the end, if it sounds good, I'm not too picky. How's the diamond for coloring your tone when it's off? I know it's true bypass but I've heard that before and still noticed a diffference based on impedance.

Wired
Orange Master

Post by Wired » Fri Sep 30, 2011 12:59 pm

Wendigo wrote:Lol "catch and release". Perfect description. :D

Thanks for the link, Wired. The review pretty much sums up what I've heard from the demos, as well as from other people that have played a lot of comps. The only thing is, I can't get my hands on a Diamond over here in Germany to demo first, so I might have to buy it and the Forest Green and send one back. I'd really like to try about ten different ones, but without the possibility to demo the Diamond along side of them, I'm not about to get in my car and drive a round trip of 300km up to Thomann and give them all a whirl. In the end, if it sounds good, I'm not too picky. How's the diamond for coloring your tone when it's off? I know it's true bypass but I've heard that before and still noticed a diffference based on impedance.
Diamond is the clearest most uncolored compressor I've tried. Even when activated if you set the knobs for unity and low compression there is not much of a diff at all.
-LK
RV50, Vox AC30, Gibson LP Trad '14, Gibson ES-335 '04, PRS Cu24 '10, Fender Tele Pro, Gretsch Powerjet

jangle
Orange Hero

Post by jangle » Fri Sep 30, 2011 4:54 pm

If you want crystalline options then any model of the Janglebox is a winner. With a Strat through the clean Rockerverb channel you can easily keep up with Fenders.

Wolfe
Tiny Terror

Post by Wolfe » Fri Sep 30, 2011 7:38 pm

Wired wrote:

Diamond is the clearest most uncolored compressor I've tried. Even when activated if you set the knobs for unity and low compression there is not much of a diff at all.
the keeley 4 knob compressor is better....
Wolfy'

Wired
Orange Master

Post by Wired » Fri Sep 30, 2011 8:37 pm

Wolfe wrote:
Wired wrote:

the keeley 4 knob compressor is better....
Matter of opinion unfortunately. I didn't find it better in the least. Better built maybe. More expensive, for sure. But better? I'd say different.
-LK

Randy Bass
Lord of Orange

Post by Randy Bass » Fri Sep 30, 2011 11:26 pm

The ENGL Poopmaster Compressor is the best pedal in the history of the world.

Wendigo
Orange Master

Post by Wendigo » Sat Oct 01, 2011 7:08 am

Yes, especially when you dial in the "staaaaaaaank" knob.