English PPC112 cabs?

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

fiaj
Tiny Terror

English PPC112 cabs?

Post by fiaj » Thu Sep 29, 2011 11:37 am

Hello all.
I have recently forked out and bought a Rockerverb 100 MKII with the slanted 4x12 cabinet and i am in heaven. The reverb is really special, like playing in a giant crystal cave, i know lots of people complain about it but i think you're all insane, and the dirty channel is the best amp distortion i have ever heard (although i imagine it would be greatly improved for my taste with 6550s). I am totally in love and nothing could give me a better tone for what i want to do. I've been using the clean channel with my Fuzz Factory/Woolly Mammoth/Bass Big Muff combo and my distortion section has never sounded fatter, and the dirty channel with the Woolly sounds monsterous for such a nice clear amp. A very satisfied customer! I can't wait to do some recording with this thing!

Anyway, the point of my topic is... I also want to get a less expensive and more easily portable setup for smaller gigs when i don't need massive range and huge reverb. I was thinking of getting the English hard wired Tiny Terror, then i thought it would be better to go for the Dual Terror (i know it's chinese) for more headroom and volume, and range. So i thought just for a portable system i would go for a Dual Terror with a ppc112, but probably get two 1x12s so i could stack them or spread them out depending on the venue. I know it sounds stupid but i would just love a whole mini Orange stack with two stacked 1x12s, and be able to put them either side of a room for a broader area. But then, shock horror! I just read that all PPC112s are now made in china with shitty speakers and lower quality wood than English orange cabs.
My Orange cab sounds amazing, and obviously with a smaller enclosure and less speakers you will have a slightly thinner sound but i would still expect good quality, however i am too scared to purchase chinese made cabs. Plus, due to the weight i hate the idea of it being shipped over from china and wasting all that fuel. Does anybody know if you can still get English made 1x12s in England, and from where?
I won't have the money for about a month but i would really like to get that set-up rather than just get a 2x12, incase i ever do just want one speaker and for the different spacing options, and although it's silly the funny look... Please give me any info any of you have and i would really appreciate it.
Thanks,
kian.

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Re: English PPC112 cabs?

Post by Les Paul Lover » Thu Sep 29, 2011 12:58 pm

You might want to sell off all your gear mate.

Your RV100 might be assembled in england, but I would bet all its components are sh!tty chinese made components. Hell, if you're cab is Celestion equipped, they probably are sh!tty chinese made celestion..... ;)

I wouldn't worry too much about them being made in China or not really.
Go and try one out if you can. kmlabs (forumite here) has that ministack set up, it's pretty neat - and you're right on, that mini stack look is pretty cool looking too!!!!

Obviously, the two PPC112 don't sound quite as big as a PPC212, but it's a nice set up nonetheless.

Otherwise as for as cabs that are england made, there's only Matamp that springs to my mind. I would think Vox are made somewhere else, and I don't think they are as good as the small Oranges - though I haven't compared them side by side.

Where are you based?
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

Randy Bass
Lord of Orange

Post by Randy Bass » Thu Sep 29, 2011 1:48 pm

All of the Orange speaker cabs currently made that are loaded with Vintage 30s are loaded with Chinese-made Vintage 30s. They are indistinguishable from older U.K.-made Vintage 30s. China is not a monolithic hellhole of manufacturing ineptness. Some products are cheap and poorly-made, while others are quite good. This is true of any country. It all comes down to the Quality Control of the particular manufacturer in question. I have zero complaints about the PPC-112 cab and Tiny Terror head that I bought a few years ago. Both were made in China. Gasp!

misterfolkertsma
Orange Expert

Post by misterfolkertsma » Thu Sep 29, 2011 4:44 pm

Yeah, 'made in China' isn't an issue. It's more of a marketing trick these days than it is truth.

bodhi2600
Tiny Terror

Post by bodhi2600 » Thu Sep 29, 2011 5:31 pm

plug in. play. if it sucks, dump it. if it rocks jam on!!!

mr_william
Orange Master

Post by mr_william » Thu Sep 29, 2011 7:41 pm

as far as i'm aware the ppc112 has seen 3 variations!

the first was made in England containing a 16ohm vintage 30 and was smaller than the current ppc112

the second 2 one was made in china and had an 8 ohm G12k-100 and is the width of the orange heads.

the third and current production are vintage 30 loaded again 16 ohms, allowing you to use 2 cabs. again the slightly larger width.

the specs for the cabs, lifted from orangeamps.de - those zany Germans and their efficient use of statistics!

WxHxD 55 x 45 x 29 cm, weight 15 kg - ppc112
WxHxD 66 x 52 x 30 cm, weight 26 kg - ppc212ob
WxHxD 78 x 53 x 38 cm, weight 28 kg - ppc212
WxHxD 78 x 74 x 38 cm, weight 50 kg - ppc412

the only stats i could find on the ppc410 is it's weight; 40kg

but looking at that, the 112 and 212ob are very similar in size the 212ob being 11 cm wider and 7cm taller - not a world of difference!
Will.
Bink wrote:Will you're a genius!! :D
Randy Bass wrote:For the record, mr_william is a genius :D .

Dark Helmet
Orange Master

Post by Dark Helmet » Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:03 pm

holy cow... 110lbs for a ppc412!!!!!!

memo to self: ROLLER CART
Dark Lord of the Schwartz
AD15/12
AD30TC
AD50
AD140
Thunderverb50

2016 Gibson LP Standard
2012 Gibson LP Classic Custom
2017 Gibson Firebird Studio T
Epi Les Paul (used to be) Standard
2018 Taylor 616CE

David Verb
Rocker

Post by David Verb » Fri Sep 30, 2011 2:07 am

fiaj wrote:Anyway, the point of my topic is... I also want to get a less expensive and more easily portable setup for smaller gigs when i don't need massive range and huge reverb.
I've made several posts saying exactly the same thing!

Damn my ego for buying the biggest amp in the store.
Amp
Orange Rockerverb 100

Cabinet
PPC 412 HP 8

Y0UNGBL00D
Orange Master

Post by Y0UNGBL00D » Fri Sep 30, 2011 5:59 am

i honestly hope the chinese=crap stigma continues and grows. means people who aren't naive get way better deals.
Thunderverb 50,
modded SG, pedals, shiner bock.

Jabberwocky
Orange Expert

Post by Jabberwocky » Wed Nov 02, 2011 1:00 pm

I would not worry too much about the chinese made stuff. I have a chinese made 112 and my only complaints were the slight colour mismatch with my R30 head, some bubbling under the tolex which I pressed out with a wooden roller, and the mickey mouse plastic badge which looks cheap. Sound wise it is excellent, however, I would doubly recommend the PPC212 OB which is only slightly bigger than the 112, is relatively light weight, and sounds fabulous.
I bought mine for the same reason as you, to save space in smaller gigs. Used to have the british made 212 CB which was huge and very heavy, so I traded it in for the smaller OB and have never regretted it.

No complaints about chinese made Orange cabs and I have been gigging them for years

Last bumped by fiaj on Wed Nov 02, 2011 1:00 pm.
Fender USA Standard Stratocaster
Gordon Smith Galaxy
Gibson Les Paul Classic
Faith Jupiter Jumbo Acoustic
Orange Rocker 30 HD
Orange Micro Terror
Orange PPC 212 OB
Lead
Plectrum
Attitude
Sorted!